Archive for Friday, July 13, 2012

Law Enforcement Report: Police cite man accused of waving machete in downtown Lawrence

July 13, 2012, 2:17 p.m. Updated July 13, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

Law enforcement report

• Lawrence police early Friday issued a disorderly conduct citation to a man accused of waving a machete around during a dispute with another man downtown.

Kim Murphree, a police spokeswoman, said the men were apparently arguing while they were both walking their dogs. The incident occurred just after midnight in the 700 block of Massachusetts Street.

“The suspect allegedly waved a machete around, but no threats were made,” Murphree said. “The man did not assault anyone.”

• Police arrested a 35-year-old Lawrence man about 1:45 a.m. Friday on disorderly conduct and interference charges after a fight at Saints Pub and Patio Bar, 2329 Iowa.

Murphree said an employee identified the suspect and said staff members had broken up the initial altercation. Officers began interviewing people because 10-15 people were still in the parking lot, Murphree said. Police took Lonnie James Bennett to jail on the new charges and an outstanding municipal court warrant.

He posted $200 bond and was given notice to appear on the charges in municipal court on Aug. 7.

Comments

Joe Hyde 1 year, 9 months ago

This town would be a lot happier if all males over the age of 21 were in bed by midnight. And if they can't be in bed by midnight then just go on home.

BinxBolloxed 1 year, 9 months ago

Always carry a machete. 'Tis a bad season for sharks.

Pywacket 1 year, 9 months ago

And all this time, I've just been using my machete for brush. Learn something every day...

UNIKU 1 year, 9 months ago

Framed! By big mean police. They always are....

RoeDapple 1 year, 9 months ago

Wow! I gotta get me a(nother) machete!

Steven Gaudreau 1 year, 9 months ago

Srj, because Old Chicago never sold .25 draws on thurs like Saints. Saints tends to bring problems. A customer at their place across from Oak Park Mall in Leawood was shot and killed in their parking lot earlier this yr. There has been gun play at the Lawrence location as well.

Steve Jacob 1 year, 9 months ago

How come I never heard a word about Old Chicago having fights, but have heard Saints Pub a few times already?

thebigspoon 1 year, 9 months ago

Probably protecting himself from zombies until he gets his CCL....

Clark Coan 1 year, 9 months ago

And they both probably let their dogs crap on the sidewalk and didn't pick up after them.

ohjayhawk 1 year, 9 months ago

Silly me, I've not once thought of carrying a machete while walking my dogs. Guess I'm going machete shopping this weekend, since that seems to be the new rage.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 9 months ago

It was an "Arts" dance...now sue their brains out!