Archive for Friday, July 13, 2012

Law Enforcement Report: Police cite man accused of waving machete in downtown Lawrence

July 13, 2012, 2:17 p.m. Updated July 13, 2012, 2:56 p.m.

Law enforcement report

• Lawrence police early Friday issued a disorderly conduct citation to a man accused of waving a machete around during a dispute with another man downtown.

Kim Murphree, a police spokeswoman, said the men were apparently arguing while they were both walking their dogs. The incident occurred just after midnight in the 700 block of Massachusetts Street.

“The suspect allegedly waved a machete around, but no threats were made,” Murphree said. “The man did not assault anyone.”

• Police arrested a 35-year-old Lawrence man about 1:45 a.m. Friday on disorderly conduct and interference charges after a fight at Saints Pub and Patio Bar, 2329 Iowa.

Murphree said an employee identified the suspect and said staff members had broken up the initial altercation. Officers began interviewing people because 10-15 people were still in the parking lot, Murphree said. Police took Lonnie James Bennett to jail on the new charges and an outstanding municipal court warrant.

He posted $200 bond and was given notice to appear on the charges in municipal court on Aug. 7.

Comments

Cant_have_it_both_ways 2 years, 5 months ago

It was an "Arts" dance...now sue their brains out!

ohjayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Silly me, I've not once thought of carrying a machete while walking my dogs. Guess I'm going machete shopping this weekend, since that seems to be the new rage.

Clark Coan 2 years, 5 months ago

And they both probably let their dogs crap on the sidewalk and didn't pick up after them.

thebigspoon 2 years, 5 months ago

Probably protecting himself from zombies until he gets his CCL....

Steve Jacob 2 years, 5 months ago

How come I never heard a word about Old Chicago having fights, but have heard Saints Pub a few times already?

jackpot 2 years, 5 months ago

Oak Park mall moved to Leawood? Was in Overland Park.

bigdave 2 years, 5 months ago

Thursdays is .50 wells Wednesday is .25 draws. It's a great bar with good food and bartenders tell 10 PM when the DJ starts and all the thugs take over!! I just go home at 9 PM.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I gotta get me a(nother) machete!

BinxBolloxed 2 years, 5 months ago

Always carry a machete. 'Tis a bad season for sharks.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 5 months ago

This town would be a lot happier if all males over the age of 21 were in bed by midnight. And if they can't be in bed by midnight then just go on home.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

Joe, I bet most of the males over 21 would be thrilled to be in bed by midnight. Just go on home sounds a little mean.