Archive for Sunday, July 8, 2012

Voters encouraged to check registration status

July 8, 2012

Important dates

• July 17: Last day to register to be eligible to vote in the Aug. 7 primary election

• Oct. 16: Last day to register to be eligible to vote in the Nov. 6 general election

Where to register

• Online at https://www.kdor.org/voterregistration/

• In person at the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass.

Even if you haven’t moved, your polling place may have.

Ahead of the Aug. 7 primary election, it’s important that voters check their registration status, whether it’s to get registered for the first time or to ensure that when they do vote, they’re in the right place, said Ben Lampe, deputy county clerk.

Voting registration for the primary election closes July 17. Anyone not registered by the deadline may not vote, though the registration process opens again on the day of the primary in preparation for the general election Nov. 6. Potential voters must register by no later than Oct. 16 to vote in the general election.

Registrants don’t technically need a photo ID to get on the rolls but will need to present one to actually cast a vote. People with out-of-town IDs can also register, but to register online, a voter needs to have a Kansas driver’s license or identification card.

If a voter shows up to the wrong polling place, he or she will be giving a provisional ballot. Information on district lines can be found at douglascountyelections.com, a resource for Douglas County voters.

“We hope voters are as educated as possible,” Lampe said.

Registration can be done online through https://www.kdor.org/voterregistration/, where applications are also available to print. It can also be filed at the Douglas County Courthouse, 1100 Mass., or mailed there. Lampe said that applications can be filed in person July 17, but mailed ones may not get in on time. There is a drop box outside the building for turning in registration forms after hours.

Comments

a_flock_of_jayhawks 1 year, 9 months ago

So does the registration matter if you do not have the right address on your drivers license? DMV still hasn't gotten mine straight after several months and attempts.

wood451 1 year, 9 months ago

I found mine just fine by looking it up myself without trying to follow the posted links in this thread. I still vote at the same place I did last year.

kuguardgrl13 1 year, 9 months ago

Does anyone know if the July 17 deadline applies to changing one's registration (i.e. address)? I will have moved to a new residence (still in Lawrence) by the primary but not before that deadline.

deec 1 year, 9 months ago

Except near South Park of course.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 1 year, 9 months ago

Why?? The nitwits in Kansas are so immersed in the republican limbaugh adgenda that no other opinion matters. This state will go slavishly for Romney and his limbots. Any other voting possibility is utter futility. Look at the state house and the idiot that Kansans put there.

msezdsit 1 year, 9 months ago

“We hope voters are as educated as possible,” Lampe said. Hope you don't get penalized by the authorities for making such a comment in your "official position" as county clerk. The official trend in Kansas as well as many other states, for whatever reason, has been to complicate voting.

classclown 1 year, 9 months ago

gilly

I just checked my registration at the Douglas County Voter Registration search site (http://www.douglas-county.com/online_..., which the Journal-World declined to mention), and it's not working. How should I check my registration and confirm where my polling place is?

July 8, 2012 at 5:27 a.m

======================================================

As seen directly below the search form on the very page you provide a link to.

Having Problems Finding Your Information?

If you are having any problems with finding your Voter Registration information, please contact the Elections Division of the Clerk's Office via phone at (785) 832-5267, via email at , or via mail at 1100 Massachusetts, Lawrence, KS 66044.

If you have moved, please re-register by downloading a printable version of the Voter Registration Application (PDF format), or by visiting 1100 Massachusetts, Lawrence, KS 66044.

When you walk in the bathroom at home and discover there is no toilet paper let on the roll, do you look around the room or just stand there asking how you're expected to do your business without bothering to look around?

kernal 1 year, 9 months ago

Google and whitepages.com.; oh, such wonderous tools on the internet.

As noted in the story's sidebar, the Douglas County Treasurer's office is in the Douglas County Courthouse at 1100 Massachusetts. I imagine someone will answer the phone if you call the voter registration number at 832-5267 during normal business hours.

FalseHopeNoChange 1 year, 9 months ago

Let's see..

I'm "disenfranchised". Check.

Marginalized. Check.

Dollar Bus will not be 'operational' to ferry me to the voting booth yet. Check.

No 'drivers license' because I am "disenfranchised" and "marginalized" and 'no' Dollar Bus to get me there to 'apply' for one. Check.

Looks like I'm 'ready' to miss another chance to "vote" myself more "benefits". Check.

gilly 1 year, 9 months ago

I just checked my registration at the Douglas County Voter Registration search site (http://www.douglas-county.com/online_services/cl/ve/ve_voterregsearch.asp, which the Journal-World declined to mention), and it's not working. How should I check my registration and confirm where my polling place is?