Archive for Sunday, July 8, 2012

Be prepared

Top state officials can hope that the federal Affordable Care Act is repealed but they need to make sure the state is prepared if implementation of the act moves forward.

July 8, 2012

Kansas cannot afford to take a head-in-the-sand approach to the Affordable Care Act.

Having already returned $31.5 million in federal money that would have been used to help Kansas tailor its own health insurance exchanges to comply with the new health care law, Gov. Sam Brownback now says he wants to delay any action on the exchanges until after the November presidential election, in hopes former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will be elected and lead efforts to repeal the health care act. Lt. Gov. Jeff Colyer has indicated he hopes the U.S. Senate will try to kill the law using its reconciliation rules, but that action also would have to occur after the November elections and would depend on Republicans boosting their numbers in the U.S. Senate so they could garner the 51 votes needed to overturn the law.

The repeal of the Affordable Care Act is far from certain regardless of the outcome of November’s elections. Supporters of the act acknowledge that some aspects of it need work. Opponents concede that many Americans support some aspects of the law, such as coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and allowing children to stay on their parents’ insurance until age 26. There likely will be changes to the law, but it’s simply unwise for Kansas not to be ready for its implementation.

Despite the opposition of fellow state officials, Insurance Commissioner Sandy Praeger has tried to make sure the state won’t be left out in the cold when the care act provisions kick in. However, time is growing short. The federal law requires states to submit their plans for setting up health insurance exchanges by Nov. 16. The exchanges will offer consumers a system, which can be accessed online and through other means, where they can comparison shop for health insurance.

Praeger said it’s already too late for Kansas to set up a state-run exchange, but it could still work with the federal government to assist Kansas consumers and determine which companies could participate in the state’s exchange. The state needs to move quickly, though, if it wants to help build its exchanges to meet Kansans’ needs rather than allow the federal government to dictate those decisions. “It’s a significant giving up of state authority if we don’t move forward,” Praeger said.

It certainly is possible that the November elections somehow will doom the Affordable Care Act, but it’s also entirely possible that the act will continue to move toward implementation after the elections are past. It’s better to be prepared for something that doesn’t happen than to be caught unprepared for something that does. The Kansas insurance commissioner is advocating a prudent approach to this issue. The governor and other state officials need to listen to her.

Comments

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

It is said that Nurses are among the most trusted professions in the country. This is for good reason. A nurse's primary responsibility is to advocate for his/her patients, even when this is in direct dispute of a physician's order, even when it goes in the face of any "system" put into place, and even when politicians put their own interests above those of our patients.

Personally, I am a nurse who has been working with patients for over 28 years now, and I support HealthCare Reform. I challenge any politician, I challenge you Govenor Brownback, to work in the Emergency Room for one week, even one night, and tell me we do not need HealthCare Reform! Ours is a system broken, by anyone's account.

Professionally, the American Nurses Association fully supports HealthCare Reform. See http://nursingworld.org/healthcarereform for more information.

Is every specific detail of the Act perfect? I do not profess to know. However, I do know that it is time to stop playing childish games and get on with fixing the problem. Take politics out of the equation. Govenor Brownback, I beg you to help me advocate for my patients and stop holding Kansans hostage!

Cheryl Arnold, BSN, RN

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

Before the vultures come out, I know there is a misspelled word. The power went out before I could edit, and when it came back on, it had submitted my post.

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you...Liberty, is it? You are making my point! Healthcare has everything to do with who can afford it. Talk to me the next time you are waiting 4-6 hours in the ED because it is filled to max capacity with those who have no primary care and no way to get it. BTW, I'll discuss my years of education as related to my income when you do yours, okay?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

You owe her an apology. Health Care Reform is needed because even those who have insurance can get caught up in the system. I say nurses deserve every dollar they are paid. They are a resource we cannot do without. If a company puts millions into creating a medicine or a device then they should be able to patent it.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

In which way(s) does it hurt patients? It, in every way I can see, helps people. Especially the part about insurance companies not being able to deny someone coverage because of previous conditions.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

If someone has a pre-existing medical condition, before the reform, it was close to impossible for them to get insurance coverage. Now, those same people can find insurance coverage for a much more affordable price. They can no longer be denied for these pre-existing conditions. Those conditions cost money to treat; that is why they need insurance.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

Also, how will this reform cause an increase in price? Insureds will no longer have to foot the bill for the uninsured. That should decrease prices. The supply of medical care will not be affected now that everyone should be insured. How, in your mind, would it?

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

When you get your insurance card, despite having pre-existing conditions, it is still called health insurance. Whether that be an accurate description or not, that is what it is called.

What is a better method to tackle the problems inherent in our heathcare system? This bill begins a necessary process of healthcare reform, but it obviously doesn't tackle all the issues.

TimW 2 years, 5 months ago

An apples to oranges comparison, but...

It's the same argument (nearly word for word) that was used when they de-regulated auto insurance in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. People bought it hook, line, and sinker and the auto insurance market opened up after a state-wide voter referendum. People were no longer limited to the two, or was it three, state licensed carriers and could now buy insurance from Flo (though she wasn't around yet) and the little green lizard who promised to save you 15%, but what really happened? The average auto-insurance premium skyrocketed.

Sorry if I don't buy the libertarian "de-regulation is the answer to everything" party line.

TimW 2 years, 5 months ago

...and my cousin is a ninth-grade teacher in Jay, Maine. I still don't know what teacher salaries in Maine are, nor what the state curriculum is.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong to call me a liar. Auto-insurance deregulation has been a failure in Massachusetts. It's driven up prices (aside from the most perfect of perfect drivers, that is), reduced consumer protection, and - most importantly, and the reason the industry was deregulated to begin with - increased insurer profit.

See, once the state no longer sets rates and insurers are free to charge what they want it became a race to profit. While before the state rates mandated that they top out their profit at 25% (it's a made up number to illustrate the point), they decided to try 30%. Still got business, let's see if we can make a 35% profit, etc. etc. From 2007 to 2008 there were drivers in Massachusetts who saw as much as a 150% hike in their premium.

Profit over people, it's the libertarian way.

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

Are you referring to me or the "uneducated clown?" (Liberty's words, not mine)

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Got a link for that income? I know several RNs and none of them make close to that kind of money unless it's private duty for someone fairly wealthy. Just like teachers, they are not in it for the money.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Experienced RN's where I work make base pay of $28.00-$32.00/hr. That my friends is right around $65.000.00 a yr. Add voluntary overtime, and shift differentials to that, and you can easily make well into the 70s.
Charge RNs I know personally make close to $90,00.00 a yr. sometimes more.
APRN's depending on the number of clients they see, can easily do over $120,000 a yr. This is fact.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

65k a year? Unless they have an advanced degree and certification as a ARNP, a nurse anesthetist or are in upper level nursing management, no nurse comes even close to that kind of salary. I just retired in 2009 and at that time I was making about two thirds of that.
That said, I think your reply is indicative of who you are as a person. It's your cynical belief that no one could spend their life in a career that doesn't involve money and you obviously have no belief in altruism.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

You make no sense whatsoever. Why should she take a pay cut? Why are you so mean and vindictive towards those in the medical profession? As a senior I truly am thankful for someone, doctor or nurse who can take care of me when I am sick and do in in a good way. I have an excellent doctor, Dr. Stueve at Mr. Oread who has found out in quick time what was going on and taken steps to fix it. One was when I had blood clots in my lungs, and called my daughter to take me to the ER, he waited outside until she arrived to make sure I would get there soon. In the ER I was in a room in half a minute and a minute more I was taking shots, etc. etc. Believe me, then it was not about how much money the man earns, I was thank you, because I was close to dying at that point as anyone who has blood clots that have traveled from the legs to the heart know. So, thank you nurses and thank you Dr. Stueve.

bunnyhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

If only we could tattoo your response on your backside so that the next time you need health care every nurse who has the misfortune to provide care for you could see what you think!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Dear Cheryl, I was a nurse (starting as an LPN and climbing the ladder to RN) for 35 years before I retired. In the course of that career I came to the conclusion that health care must be a right, not a privilege.
It's interesting to me that the vast majority of healthcare providers, from CNAs to physicians, support healthcare reform. And believe me, "getting paid" has nothing to do with it. Despite L1's assertion.

bunnyhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Have you had your O2 saturation checked lately? I'm not sure your brain is functional! It's not the nurses' wages that drive the high costs of health care. Primarily, it's the extraordinally high salaries and bonuses provided to the CEOs of hospital corporations and insurance companies. Why don't you rant about that!!!

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

I applaud you Cheryl, I have been to the emergency room twice and to other parts of the hospital many times. I have always found the nurses to be both competent and humane. I like to joke in a serious situation to take my mind off of it, and they respond in kind, while still keeping everything moving along as it should. Thank you so much for everything you and your fellow nurses do.

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

Thank you frankie, I am not in the ED anymore (old age ya know,) but still at the hospital. We take great pride in serving you.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I too woik in the healthcare industry. I have since 1979. I have worked with many nurses, both good and really bad. One thing I know for sure is that the ANA is concerned with one thing. Money. Money for themselves and forget everyone else. My brother is an APRN. He was the third one in the entire State of Kansas if memory serves. He has read all 1,000 + pages of this bill. He says: "Be afraid, be very afraid." And he does not like or trust the ANA due to their selfish dishonest obfuscations and lies. They really don't care about healthcare. Just running everyone else out of business, so they can have it all.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 5 months ago

The Stench Of Truth: No one read Bush Co.'s "Patriot Act" before passing it. There seems to be a pattern developing here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&amp...

kansanbygrace 2 years, 5 months ago

Life in the ER is controlled by the "protocols" invented by the insurance companies. Nurses and physicians are mandated to respond not to patients but to a checklist of symptoms. Many simple, safe and direct procedures are forbidden and tremendously expensive drug and/or invasive procedures are required by the managing business-types rather than health professionals, for the predominant reason that it is very, very profitable for them (the insurers.)

That unavoidably increases costs and compromises the quality of care delivered.

That is the flawed part of the system that needs a thorough make-over.

And, Libby, you don't seem to be in a position to tell a medical professional they're not worth the little they're paid, compared to a salesman or an administrative paper-pusher.

I worked several years in the ER, run three small companies now, and the ER work was more demanding by a magnitude or two than running a non-profit, a professional performing arts business, and a construction company simultaneously.

I think it's the executives who should work for 50K or less--they surely need less intelligence and a have a paltry education compared to an RN.

akt2 2 years, 5 months ago

He'll be talking out the other side of his face the first time a health care crisis happens to him or a family member. I hope he doesn't really feel that way about nurses. He or a loved one might need an ER nurse, chemo nurse, ICU nurse, neo-natal nurse, hospice nurse or visiting nurse someday. A nurse can never be replaced in our society. The money they make is nothing based on what they do and what they see everyday. Cuts will have to be made starting at the top. We already know the suit sitting behind the desk can't start an IV, so we don't need too many of his kind. We need thousands of nurses though.

rtwngr 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Governor Brownback is doing exactly the right thing. I also think Sandy Praeger needs to change party affilitation. There is nothing in her history that would lead me to conclude that she supports any of the Republican platform. However I can draw numerous similarities of her actions to the Democrat platform. I would venture a guess that there isn't much about ObamaCare that Sandy Praeger doesn't like.

Patricia Davis 2 years, 5 months ago

I think we should have a colon cleanse of the republican party and return it to moderate people who cared for this state and had tolerance for others and the willingness to work together for the greater good of this state. Sandy Praeger for governor, please.

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

cait48, thank you so much for your kind words. I am working on my Master's in Nursing Education, so that people like Lib will even have a nurse to take care of them when they are old. All this just to come out with massive debt and making less than my first year as an RN (I too "climbed the ladder.")

However, that was not the intent of my original response to this editorial. My intent was to point out, like you said, healthcare for all benefits us all. WE ALL should lower the rhetoric of the current day political firestorm and DO something. I am proud to be a nurse, and prouder still to suppport any initiative that fights to do something for my patients, not just complain about it. After all, an obstructionist never moved anything forward, did they?

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

FYI, my dad fought in Viet Nam and my son has fought in Iraq twice for my freedom, so do not say you do. Thank you.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

Have you done anything to increase or ensure our freedom? Besides use your constitutional right to free speech (or should I say abuse)?

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

See how you are, L_1??? Even if you disagreed with Viet Nam and Iraq (as I have indeed disagreed)...why would you say such a hurtful thing to ctutgo when it's about his dad and his son?? WHY???

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Sorry, ctutgo, I should have said, "his/her"...

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 5 months ago

The problem I have with your point of view, Liberty, is that I believe freedom only comes with responsibility and the people who are strangling our government today say they want freedom but don't want the responsibility that comes with it.

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 5 months ago

I pledge Allegiance to Big Pharma and the United Corporations of America, and to the profiteering for which they stand, one Oligarchy under God, indivisible, with City of London-approved genetically modified freedom, and chemically-induced justice, for all!

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 5 months ago

You forgot anti-government. Governments, like firearms, are a necessary evil. It is the citizenry that must be educated and alert in order to contain the government and find the right balance. We The People are apathetic and have been dumbed-down to the point that our governments are now blatantly bought off and out of control. How do we reign them in and find the right balance? That is the question. Governments should fear the people.

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

LO, usually I skip over your posts because of their ultra nastiness and personal attacks. (There are others I skip over for the same reason.) However I read the ones on this thread.

Has it ever occurred to you that you are going to persuade no one with your nasty personal attacks? Ms Arnold's reasoned approach is much more persuasive.

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 5 months ago

The modern GOP will stop at nothing in pursuit of their white whale. They will damage the state and Kansas citizens in their wild-eyed opposition to Obamacare.

Just ask Sandy Praeger.

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

Liberty...I think you and I both have shown ourselves for who we are here. I work for an actual profession that actually does something for the greater good. I only wish for our leaders to put their big girl panties on and do the same. What have you ACTUALLY done lately, besides rant against the wind? I would rather aim for everything and get half of it than to aim for nothing and get all of it. Won't you try with me?

ctutgo 2 years, 5 months ago

You seem to be very obsessed with my paycheck. Don't you get one?

George_Braziller 2 years, 5 months ago

My mom just retired in January after 52 years as an RN. Worked as a floor nurse when I was a kid in the very early '60s, worked as an OR nurse for 18 years and was on call for emergencies, moved into the administrative side of nursing later, was director of central supply, pharmacy, and purchasing. Held an elected nursing representative position three times. After all of that time and that much experience she still wasn't making $65K.

Despite being retired she still feels so committed to nursing she still goes through all of the annual training for re-certification so she can maintain her license. Liberty, she may be 73 but you'd be damned lucky to have her near when you stroke out from your nastiness and collapse on a sidewalk.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

What rights? The right to be uninsured, and therefore push your healthcare costs on those that are? Healthcare is a right and should be free.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

It should be taxes that pay for healthcare. I am willing for my taxes to go up if my benefits also do. I'm not saying anyone should work for free, and I know the money has to come from somewhere.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

When the risks and costs are spread out over the entire populace, it does not cost the individual as much as it does now. If someone cannot afford healthcare or insurance, they will also be covered. Healthcare is a human right. I do not believe the government should have total control over what is covered and not covered, but that they have a system in place that ensures equal access to services needed. This bill starts that process, but does not go far enough.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

Your arguement is wrought with fallacies. I was meaning right in the basic sense of everyone needs healthcare, therefore everyone has the right to equal access to it. Because I believe in a socialist form of healthcare, does not mean I believe in slavery.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

You do not know how to accept other points-of-views without jumping to name-calling, along with many logical fallacies, do you? We are all slaves to the system, anyway.

acg 2 years, 5 months ago

Cheryl, dear, don't waste your time on Liberty. The rest of us have been subjected to their posts for ages and we've all learned that Liberty is a sad, horrid, nasty little person. Kind of like a boil on the ass of humanity. Now, you being a Nurse (and thanks for that btw), you know what we do with boils. We lance them and hope they eventually go away. :)

Oh, and my bestest friend is an LMH RN and she makes nowhere near 65k, so you pukes keep talking. You just won't fess up and say it, it doesn't matter what Obama does, you aren't going to like it because he's a democrat or maybe it's just because he's a black man. Either way, you are all transparent and gross. Puke on your faces!!

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

NO, L_1....for ONCE, just ONE FREAKIN' TIME, YOU look in the mirror. You will be horrified at what you see if you REALLY look!!!!! You truly are, as acg stated, a sad, horrid, nasty little person. I think your problem is that you really know that about yourself and you lash out at others in an attempt to seem much more worthy a human being than you ever will be. I can't even imagine that you have a wife or a family. If so, how miserable they must be. You are one sad case.

I've already posted another comment down from here, so I'll let someone else have their turn. It's never-ending when it comes to comments about you...my goodness, don't you EVER get so tired of it all?? Don't you EVER want things to be different for yourself?? I see and feel great pain coming from you when you whip people about as you do. Perhaps none of us can even imagine the pain you are coming from...wow...that brings tears to my eyes. It's difficult to see a person suffering deep inside as your harsh writings indicate...

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

tbaker 2 years, 5 months ago

"Having already returned $31.5 million in federal money that would have been used to help Kansas tailor its own health insurance...."

Remember that 60 cents of every dollar the Federal Government spends is borrowed money.

Of the $31.5 million we "returned" $18.9 million of that was money our country didn't have to borrow.

I like that idea way more than what we Kansans may have "gained" by this awful law. My kids and grandkids are going to inherit our terrible national debt and be made slaves to the government by it (more than we already are). The fact Kansas was able to NOT add another $18.9 million to it is fine by me. There are many different ways to reduce the cost of healthcare, expand it to include more people, and maintain the quality of it that do not cost tax payers a dime. We should try some of those before we embrace ObamaCare.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

RN's START, with no experience at over $21.00/hr. Fact. I know them and work with them.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Don't know what happened to my post. So here goes again. Experienced RN's where I work make about $30.00/hr. That is about $65,000.00/yr. With voluntary overtime, and shift differentials, that can EASILY turn into well over $70-$75 K per yr.
Charge RN's I know, and worked with just last night make in excess of $90,000.00/yr.
APRN's, depending on how many clients they see, can make about $120,000.00/yr.

Bob Harvey 2 years, 5 months ago

While I respect the role of nurses (my connections to some shall remain nameless for this discussion) in some way I do agree with Liberty. I also have been in healthcare, ableit administrative and management for over 30 years. I am not convinced that this bill does much for the actual reform of healthcare. The ERs, physician practices and hospitals will still run pretty much like they have before. Those who work in the ER are far removed from the business side of healthcare. They work tirelessly for each and every patient that comes to them, regardless of social class, insured or not. There is nothing in the healthcare bill that I have seen that will effect any provider in how they practice medicine. How they practice medicine is far more defined by other sources than this bill.

This bill is about the business of healthcare, not its practice. The most negative aspect that I forsee is the shrinking of the provider pool which will an impact on accessing care. So for our dedicated ER nurse the problem that you see will probably only increase. As physician access dwindles I believe more people will still be going to the ERs for their primary care. Only now they should all have some sort of insurance coverage.

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

I had to "deal" with Liberty_One once long ago (I try to block it out of my memory bank). If you were to look up the word "arrogant" in a thesaurus, I'm quite sure every word given would apply to Liberty_One. I do not know of ONE person who has ever agreed with Liberty_One...and I know of not one time he has been fun and light-hearted. Not once! He will continue with his insults and discord 'til WAY AFTER the cows come home. You will never out-talk (out-type) this person...'Nuff said before I say WAY tooooooo much.

Bob Harvey 2 years, 5 months ago

Bingo, that is part of the real reform we need. No one seems to want to deal with I feel are at the root of the issue. Healthcare, in its current state, costs too much. This not the fault of only one of the legs of the three legged healthcare stool (Patients, Providers and Payors) What needs to be a part of the conversation is why are costs so high. Earlier in this thread the salaries of nurses were discussed. I, for one, do not think that salaries are a major problem. Agno you bring up an excellent point. We have heard statistics (I will not cite them here) that nearly 80% of a patient's healthcare spending occurs in the last two years of his/her life. That's not a problem, its just a fact. We are living longer, high tech medical machines cost a huge amount of money, patients demand any and all care available, and the need for tort reform is imperative if the defensive medicine often practiced is going to cease. All the ACA targets is who pays the bills, leaving ways of lowering them to others.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

It is taking years to make economic progress to recover from the Bush/Romney economic theory and plans, It will take decades to rebuild infrastructure and restore care to children, elderly and the infirm from 'Brownback's stupid and cruel economic decisions. Brownback should resign. When the political plan is to wreck and ruin the working families homes, health and education system to benefit the 'job creators' . The only reasonable way for Brownback and like, to stay in power is to make it almost impossible for working people to vote. By the way, go to the courthouse, check your id against your voter registration, make sure you can vote.

Claudean McKellips 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for your service nurses. You should be paid and paid well. Your job is too important to be paid a pittance. Why is the conservative republicans always want a free market until it comes to highly-skilled professionals like nurses, teachers and firefighters? Those professionals buy the goods and services that keep our economy sound. What businesses really need are customers.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

The gopsters want everyone to work for pittance if they do real work. Nurses on the front line, teachers who hold a class steady and forward, firefighters, really everyone who is tired at the end of the day, are the real job creators, not the coupon clippers. Creating a community worth living in is more important than the gop recognize. I assume they just don't get it.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

I assume you don't get it. That is not what this is about. Yes, you need to work, period. Most "gopsters' work.
Most unemployed, those that refuse to work are Dems. They know where their meal ticket will be punched at.

pace 2 years, 5 months ago

So now you claim that nurses, teachers and firefighters aren't really workers but just unemployed slackers. You are presenting an increasingly nutty and incoherent argument.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

I actually agree with you on this, for the most part. The only problem I can forsee with increasing the number of students admitted to medical school is an over-influx of doctors with no jobs available. This wouldn't probably happen overnight, but it could be a problem in the future if admission was increased too much.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

The whole point of my posts about Nurses's salaries was merely to counteract the nurses on here (Cait48 et al) who claim they don't make much money. Who say they don't do it for the money. Bull. We can't have an honest debate when major players are dishonest, and won't admit that they are in it for the money, and the main thrust of their concerns are for their pocketbooks. The ANA sold out years ago, and is all about themselves. This is due to poor, myopic leadership that is supported by Nurses. The ANA is a seriously cut throat organization. We need to fix health care. But this ain't it. We need something that has been debated by the people, not something that has been forced down everyone's throat. One place you are going to have to start is simply making people own their healthcare, and making them work for it. Not a free ride to everyone that simply will not work.
The fraud and abuse in medicaid is mind boggling.

TopJayhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Things like unsubstantiated backpain, fibromyalgia, and migraine headaches just cannot be a reason not to work and be responsible for your healthcare.
My wife suffers from terrrible migraines. Yet she works, makes a good wage, pays for her healthcare and rarely calls in sick. Sometimes life isn't fair. You have to buck up and power through these things. You have to play the cards you are dealt, and not just fold 'em and let everyone else take care of you.

asixbury 2 years, 5 months ago

You don't have fibromyalgia then, do you? If you did, you would know how severe and debilitating it can be. On bad days, my uncle cannot get out of bed due to the pain. He has periods of time in which he is able to work, followed by days of not being able to move as a direct result of the work he did previously. I'm not saying everyone with fibromyalgia cannot work (I have it, just not as severe as my uncle), but the worst cases simply cannot work a regular shift. They do not know when the pain will strike, and when it does, you cannot "power-through" it. No one can. It affects your muscles and nerves so severely at times that it is physically impossible to move without causing more pain.

I agree there are many people on disability that probably shouldn't be, but you made way too sweeping of a generalization on your comment. Do not speak of which you do not understand.