Archive for Thursday, July 5, 2012

Police respond to fireworks calls during the overnight hours

July 5, 2012

Though the Independence Day holiday passed without major law enforcement incidents in Lawrence, police still kept busy responding to fireworks calls during the overnight hours.

Lawrence Police Sgt. Trent McKinley said police responded to 71 fireworks calls between 10 p.m. Wednesday and 6 a.m. Thursday.

Response to many of the calls was not immediate because of the large call load, McKinley said. He said police also responded to a shots fired call overnight in the 900 block of Iowa, but that was believed to be fireworks-related.

Comments

Fred Mertz 2 years, 5 months ago

Time to put some teeth into the fireworks ban. It is illegal and violations should be taken more seriously with greater penalties. Fireworks are not harmless fun....maybe sparklers and other milder ones are, but not the loud explosive devices and aerial ones that are prevalant throughout the city.

My dogs and young children are terroized and I find debris in my yard and on my roof making me concerned about fire from the fireworks.

There is a reason they are banned and the police should do a better job of enforcing the ban.

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 5 months ago

What kind of kids don't like fireworks? you're doing it wrong, obviously. Sucks your dog is a pansy, too.

parrothead8 2 years, 5 months ago

Most animals don't like fireworks. Among existing species, only humans have shown a propensity to enjoy the loud noises associated with fireworks.

Nate012 2 years, 5 months ago

Well do you want them to ban squirrells now as well? Since they are causing fire's now as well?

Joe Berns 2 years, 5 months ago

To paraphrase fred's post

waa waa waaaaaaaaa

waaa waaaa waaaaa

If you agree with fred, then the terrorists have already won.

kufan1146 2 years, 5 months ago

What fred_mertz really meant: "I'm a crotchety old man and I hate America"

kufan1146 2 years, 5 months ago

You must also be a crotchety old man who hates America. They're fireworks, get over yourself, seriously.

Stuart Evans 2 years, 5 months ago

actually I'm not, and there wouldn't be anything wrong with being stoned if I were. See, there's your crotchety coming out; maybe you should smoke one and relax a bit.

FloridaSunshine 2 years, 5 months ago

Excellent retorts, cheeseburger!! Good for you!

Sue McDaniel 2 years, 5 months ago

I believe anyone can go out of the city and do them. That would make dogs, kids, and everyone except the farmers happy. Oh wait, we are in a drought and houses/fields might burn. How silly of me.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree with Fred. Its not about hating fireworks or America, its about I have to get up for work the next day and I would rather not listen to world war 3 while trying to sleep.

Joe Berns 2 years, 5 months ago

Its a few days a year, less than that sometimes. Get over yourself and let the kids have some fun.

rockchalker52 2 years, 5 months ago

Noise? No prob, just once a year for a few days. Scare my pets & kids? Not ideal, but again, it's the 4th of July. Burn my house down with that crap? I will punch you in your fire-crackin' face.

tir 2 years, 5 months ago

Somebody over on Kentucky or Tennessee came home from the bars Thursday night and decided to set off some big firecrackers. One at a time, at 10 or 15 minute intervals, over a period of an hour our so. The Fourth is over, folks. Give it a rest, OK?

Joe Berns 2 years, 5 months ago

The fourth isn't over until 12:01 am Monday morning.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

As someone once said: "Get over yourself"

oldbaldguy 2 years, 5 months ago

have fun you all. ban is a ban or it is not. one of the worse things government can do is pass laws and not enforce them. sends a bad message.

rockchlkjhawkku 2 years, 5 months ago

If it's a ban, they shouldn't allow fireworks to be sold outside city limits. They do! So, get over it.

Bigdog66046 2 years, 5 months ago

I for one do not like the ban, but it is the law and has been for several years. Was there any tickets issued for all this man power spent on the people who choose not to follow the law?? If the city keeps the ban they need to enforce it and start making the people breaking it pay. If they aren't going to enforce it, get rid of it, so the rest of us could enjoy also.

gatekeeper 2 years, 5 months ago

Those that throw out the B.S. about "you hate America", blah blah blah aren't thinking of our vets. My nephew suffers from PTSD and the last thing he needs is a bunch of fireworks going off. Many vets that have served their country overseas in war dread the 4th.

If you don't like the laws, then work to get them changed. Otherwise, shut up and follow the law. My neighborhood has been a war zone for three days. Everyone's pets are freaked out (neighbors dog won't even step outside now). Can't have my nephew over because of the fireworks. You act like it's the end of the world if you aren't allowed to blow things up. Grow up.

Anyone shooting off fireworks when we're in severe drought is a moron with no respect for their neighbors. In these conditions, all it takes is one little spark. When I was small, grass fire almost burned our house down. In dry conditions, it's amazing how fast the flames spread. Will always remember watching the flames get within feet of our house before FD showed up and saved it.

sbridge 2 years, 5 months ago

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more." John Adams - Letter from John Adams to Abigail Adams, 3 July 1776, ‘Had a Declaration…’". Adams Family Papers. Massachusetts Historical Society.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

While I didn't shoot off any fireworks because I don't waste money on them, I sat outside and watched them across my neighborhood. Kudos to you that did fire off fireworks blatantly in the face of authority. It was a beautiful metaphor for the battle at Yorktown that took our country away from the king.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 5 months ago

"It was a beautiful metaphor for the battle at Yorktown that took our country away from the king."

It was about as beautiful as the neighbor's dog crapping on my lawn.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

The fact that a dog uses your lawn as a toilet makes me smile.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 5 months ago

My, that's truly petty. But, sadly, pettiness is likely one of your more "redeeming" qualities.

Linda Endicott 2 years, 5 months ago

For all the people who think fireworks are no big deal and anyone who objects to them in the city are just crochety old people...

It's against the law to shoot off fireworks within the city limits...if you ignore this law because you think it's stupid, what other laws do you ignore? Do you sit there and just pick and choose which laws you'll follow? If someone tells you it's against the law to drink and drive, do you say everyone against it is just a crochety old person, and you go out and do it anyway? If so, I hope you're not my neighbor...

Fireworks were started as part of the July 4th celebration to simulate the booms and flashes of actual combat...perhaps, if you think the booms and flashes are so neat and pretty, you should go to Afghanistan and see some of the real ones...see if you think it's still neat and pretty...

I like fireworks as much as the next person...but some people just take it way too far overboard...and this year, with it being so hot and dry, it was just plain stupid to shoot them off...it was dangerous enough for the professionals doing fireworks displays around the area...and even one of them was killed...

Use a little common sense...but I fear that a lot of people posting about "get over it" and "crochety old people" have very little common sense anyway...