Archive for Monday, July 2, 2012

New Salvation Army leaders have big to-do list

Besides ministry, there’s fundraising, getting acquainted

July 2, 2012

Matt and Marisa McCluer are the Salvation Army's new lieutenants who will serve as the leaders of the charitable organization in Lawrence.

Lawrence’s new Salvation Army lieutenants hope to raise funds for a new building, engage with their new community and continue the organization’s record of service in their first Salvation Army post.

Matt McCluer, 27, and his wife, Marisa, 22, have been in town since last Tuesday, arriving after completing training in Decatur, Ill., and Chicago.

“We’re really just looking forward to getting to know the community itself and the people in it,” Marisa said. “We’re very relational people.”

They are taking over the administration of the post after corps officers Wes and Susan Dalberg left for a new post in Decatur.

Matt said he is ready to begin the planning for a capital campaign to build a new building. Plans call for raising about $4 million to move operations to property the Salvation Army owns on Haskell Avenue between 15th and 19th streets.

“We want to make it short and sweet for the community,” Matt said of the fundraising campaign. “We want to get it done and accomplished so it’s over.”

Matt grew up in nearby Lee’s Summit, Mo., and his wife is from Bloomington, Ill. The couple met through the Salvation Army and are expecting their first child.

“I’m looking forward to just continuing to do the mission of the Army and preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ,” Matt said.

The couple said they planned to get out into the community so they could get to know Lawrence better. They also welcomed visitors to their building at 946 N.H.

“If anyone wants to get to know us, just stop by,” Marisa said. “We try to be here as much as possible, and we’re willing to just sit and chat.”

Comments

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

I was under the impression that the Salvation Army was leaving town. Wasn't that the reason the Community Shelter needed a new building? They had to fill in the gap left by the Salvation Army. Now that the new shelter is under construction the Salvation Army needs a "short and sweet" fundraiser of only $4 million for a new building. Was all this planned?

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

No, they need the building for new offices and meeting places and such. They closed down the shelter on New Hampshire and said they had no intention of ever opening up another one in Lawrence. I think it just got to be too much.

repete66211 2 years, 1 month ago

"...and preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ" Which is why you never get any donations from me. There are plenty of organizations providing services to the community that have no religious agenda and that don't have policies that descriminate against homosexuals.

Charlie Sabotage 2 years, 1 month ago

They'll get the help. Few people ever got anywhere by claiming they want to do good and preach the word of the Church of Satan.
Good for them, wanting to come revamp the structure of helping the needy. But I agree, either which way it goes, can it not just be for helping out humanity and not religious agenda?

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's the deal, Chuck. Of course it can be done without the religious agenda. Just not by them. It must be done by you. And people like you. People who believe as you believe. Rather than asking of them to change their agenda, you need to change yours.

There was a time when someone said to themselves, we need to start something like a Salvation Army. Now it's your turn, Chuck. Start that agency that helps the needy without a religious agenda. Some non profit that fills in the gaps between services provided by the government and the needs of the community you wish to serve. The ball is in your court, Chuck.

repete66211 2 years ago

Non-religious charities: Goodwill, Red Cross, Doctors Without Borders, Rotary, Oxfam just to name a few. And since the SA is a religious organization it's exampted from the Form 990, which Charity Navigator uses to evaluate the efficiency of charities.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 1 month ago

I would not do that if I were you because that is just asking for something to happen to you.

Charlie Sabotage 2 years, 1 month ago

thanks jahwkinsf. Now, i have Fight Club quotes stuck in my head. "You are not the corporation you work for" But really, i do my best to gift things I no longer want or need, that are in good shape, plus food at times to people who need it through different places. Whether it be through an ad and driving toys to a family who does not have them or the means to pick them up from me or food to friends that are down on their luck. i do my best to try. I ask for nothing and never tell anyone what my outlook on religion is. The above post is not me saying I am Atheist or religious. It was just a question and I appreciate your input.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

I didn't mean to come down hard on you. I, as a member of society appreciate your generosity and your charity, given with no strings attached. I just think we should all be as gracious with the religious organizations that also give, they who give through their own generosity and charity. And we should attach no strings to their generosity. We should thank them as we should thank you. Peace.