Archive for Monday, January 30, 2012

U.S. Highway 59 reopens after accident north of Baldwin Junction

January 30, 2012, 9:40 a.m. Updated January 30, 2012, 8:53 a.m.

Two people received minor injuries but refused medical transport in a two-vehicle accident Monday morning on U.S. Highway 59 about two miles north of the intersection with U.S. Highway 56.

To work the wreck, law enforcement officers closed the highway from U.S. 56 to about one mile north of the accident. The highway remained closed at 9 a.m.

A Kansas Highway Patrolman at the scene said the collision occurred when the driver of a southbound car fell asleep and drifted across the centerline. The car then “clipped” a northbound van, he said.

Both drivers had minor injuries but refused medical transport, the highway patrolman said.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical supervisors canceled a helicopter ambulance that was on standby.

Check back for more information.

Comments

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

Looked to me like some idiot tried to pass in a no passing zone. I hope everyone is alright. Looked like several cars were involved..

Hooligan_016 2 years, 11 months ago

Ugh, yeah, saw the same thing. I'm always practicing a high level of defensive driving from Ottawa to Lawrence due to the number of wrecks I have witnessed almost happening.

102769 2 years, 11 months ago

I was a first hand witness to this accident. There were 3 cars involved, and thankfully only that many. The southbound car "clipped" the drivers rear side of a D & D Tire truck headed north, then was a direct hit to a RAV4 on the front drivers side also headed north. The RAV4 was airbound as it rolled in the air. Depri flew everywhere including tires and the southbound vehicle spun in the highlway and ended facing north in the southbound lane. I happened to be behind the RAV4 and somehow was spared both physical damage and damage to my vehicle as I drove up on the embankment. How the cars managed to stop behind me is nothing short of a miracle.

The emergency personel were fantastic as thy arrived quickly and were professional and compassionate to all involved. They diverted traffic quickly as it was impassable. All involved were very lucky people today as all airbags were imployed and injuries were minor.

It certainly makes me realize how life can change in a split second. Thank you to all that assisted, including professional emergency personel and those who witnessed and made calls and stopped to make sure everyone was okay.

Hooligan_016 2 years, 11 months ago

Oh my. I will definitely be even more alert on my commute.

Jeremiah Jefferson 2 years, 11 months ago

Luckily we had to stop for gas this morning or I might have been caught up in that gaggle as we rolled up just minutes after it happened. Good to hear everyone made it out ok.

jlzack 2 years, 11 months ago

I had to stop for allergy medicine at Wal-Mart this morning... so glad I was delayed that extra 10 minutes too...

102769 2 years, 11 months ago

Thank you for the kinds words Pywacket, but I'm very grateful for my life today, so that is treat enough. I'm sure many commuters were late to work today, but so thankful that nobody was seriously hurt. Tears come to my eyes to think of how much worse it could have been. And this morning, I woke up complaining about having to go to work and all the chaos of a family in the morning....... I'm glad God gave me the opportunity to tell my loved ones again how much I love them, otherwise, the last thing my kids would have heard was me yelling at them to hurry up. Life is so short. Today, I got that message loud and clear!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

That is so true. You never know when the words you say will be your last, or if they are the last words that your listener will ever hear.

Nanna1 2 years, 11 months ago

102769 and all others attending this accident. God was your leader today as always. So glad to hear you were there to take care of others and you and all others are going to be okay. As stated above you should always say what you need to say cause you may not get another chance. We don't know our time. God Bless

Scott Morgan 2 years, 11 months ago

Wowzer, if this accident was the cause of a half dozen or more emergency vehicles goin and blowin with little doubt more coming from the East, South and West this morning around 7:45 A.M. we must think about who's reporting.

Two people with minor injuries and we have airlift going with the Big Red One Army coming like gangbusters. Now do we know why some decisions like cutting back services are being discussed in high government positions.

Folks, the day we are forced to cut will be much harder than dripping money out of a slow leaking faucet.