Archive for Monday, January 23, 2012

Official says radio station committed to KU men’s basketball games

January 23, 2012

For a day anyway, Lady Gaga took precedence in Lawrence over Kansas University basketball.

Lawrence-based KLZR 105.9 — the longtime FM radio home of Kansas University men’s basketball — surprised many listeners on Saturday by failing to broadcast the conference basketball tilt between KU and Texas.

The reason? GaGa Girl ordered it.

KLZR dumped the Texas-KU game as part of a promotion tied to the rebranding of its station — which has changed its name from 105.9 The Lazer to 105.9 KISS-FM The promotion involved a character called GaGa Girl breaking into the studio and forcing the station to play a string of Lady Gaga songs, and 105 hours of commercial-free music.

The commercial-free pledge caused the station — which is owned by Cape Girardeau, Mo.-based Great Plains Media — to drop the KU-Texas game.

Officials in the KU Athletic Department, however, didn’t get the memo from GaGa Girl.

“We didn’t know anything about this until the middle of the game on Saturday,” Jim Marchiony with KU Athletics said. “A little advanced communication would have helped us a lot. But we’ll work through it.”

Jay Wachs, general manager for 105.9, said he would take responsibility for the lack of communication. Wachs said the radio station mentioned numerous times that it would be running 105 hours of commercial-free music, but he said the station never did announce to listeners that the ballgame would not be broadcast on Saturday.

Tonight’s ballgame against Texas A&M — and future men’s basketball games — will be broadcast on 105.9. Wachs said listeners shouldn’t take the recent decision as a sign that the radio station’s new format will de-emphasize KU sports.

“We’re fully committed to KU,” Wachs said.

But when asked why the radio station chose to do its promotion during a time period that included a KU game, Wachs said it was important to run the promotion over a weekend and “because it was just one game.”

The decision ended up having impacts beyond Lawrence. KLZR is the only FM-radio station that broadcasts KU games into the Kansas City and Topeka markets, although several AM stations broadcast the games in those areas.

As for KLZR’s name change, Wachs said the changes mean the station has dropped ’80s and ’90s music from its playlist. It now will focus on playing music from the 2000 to 2012 time period.

Comments

kusp8 3 years, 1 month ago

Station blew when it was lazer, blows now. No change here. Move along.

3up3down 3 years, 1 month ago

They dumped the game because they are a MISSOURI owned company. Have to agree, crappy music there. Never did like it when it was K-Lizzard

rtwngr 3 years, 1 month ago

So, tell me again, why do I want to spend my media money with you? Did you say you have trouble communicating? But, that's what you do. You're in the communications business. I don't get it.

cummingshawk 3 years, 1 month ago

Smells like a contract violation. Just one game he says, pfft, you clowns will get over it. For myself I found that 1320 on the AM dial works just fine. I'm sure that there is another station for my truck radio pushbuttons to lock onto and replace the dearly departed lazer.

Lawrenceradio 3 years, 1 month ago

I have a friend who works there, and they said they were doing system upgrades on their automation, and thats why they changed the format when they did, and why they were having issues running the game a few days later. I think you'ins are being too hard on them. They are not big radio like Clear Channel, but are a small, regionally owned station. I think it's great they updated the format. They needed more hiphop and modern music. I would listen to Kidd Kraddicks station KHKS in Dallas on iheartradio and it was alot better than old lazer. It's been nice hearing songs they didnt play before. And honestly, the songs they used to play, they would play them over and over. It has been alot better with more variety the last week. And again, I believe my friend when they say that the computer upgrades were mostly to blame for the KU game and the stupid gaga girl stunt. It takes time to install things like that, and they prob could not get everything done in time to run the game, or maybe they were still training people to use it? All I know is I am happy to have Kiss, and I will keep listening with my son on our way to school and when I pick him up.

Lawrenceradio 3 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and to cummingshawk...1320 is owned by the same company as 105.9...so the ppl you are mad at are the same ppl you were able to turn to so you could still hear it. I imagine that also is why they knew they could drop one game, because they always air it on klwn too...and that broadcast is the entire game, including the postgame show with the coaches and player interviews that they never air on 105.9. Anyone who has been in Lawrence knows you could hear it on either station.

cowboy 3 years, 1 month ago

klwn / kiss has shown a complete disdain for local programming. With the exception of the Hank show its all right wing , all canned music. Lets see , we have a college town , music literate , liberal , democratic majority , ok lets put canned crapola and right wing nutcases on the radio all day. I turned you off a few years ago and there is no reason to go back.