Archive for Friday, January 20, 2012

Brownback says Perry fought hard race

January 20, 2012

Now that his candidate — Rick Perry — is out of the presidential race, Gov. Sam Brownback is not throwing his support behind anyone else in the contest at this point, Brownback’s office said Thursday.

“Rick is a great guy and ran a hard race,” Brownback said. “I’m glad he engaged the discussion on how to turn our country around, and I know he’ll continue being a successful governor in Texas — leading the country in job creation,” he said.

Brownback, a friend of Perry’s, made headlines last summer as the only governor to appear in person with Perry at a stadium prayer event in Houston that was put on by several groups that are highly critical of homosexuality and abortion rights.

In September, Brownback endorsed Perry.

In 2007, Brownback, then a U.S. senator, ran for the Republican Party nomination for president, but his campaign failed to gain any traction. Shortly afterward, he endorsed the eventual GOP nominee, Sen. John McCain.

During that campaign, Brownback was critical of Mitt Romney, the current GOP frontrunner.

Comments

Steve Jacob 3 years, 4 months ago

Perry was a joke. The guy won election as governor three times in one of the biggest states in the country, and had tons of cash, and did nothing.

texburgh 3 years, 4 months ago

I'm guessing when people found out he was philosophically and politically in line with Sam Brownback, they all looked for other candidates.

ThePilgrim 3 years, 4 months ago

Perry didn't join the race until relatively late, he didn't spend much money or time in Iowa, and, after Bush, there was no way that New Hampshire would vote for another Texan.

beatrice 3 years, 4 months ago

Guess they just didn't pray hard enough.

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

There went our chance to get rid of Brownback with only one disasterious term. Now he will run again whit hopes he can still elevate to the White House. Kansas is just a stepping stone for him, he thinks!

50YearResident 3 years, 4 months ago

I think he is walking the plank, and will soon fall off the end into deep waters!

globehead 3 years, 4 months ago

Yep! Ol' Newt is really a good guy too. I particularly was impressed with the level of his outrage at the idea of anyone bringing up the issue of his personal character and how totally outraged an inappropriate that was. I haven't seen him express such conviction and outrage since he came to the defense of Clinton during that personal character issue. Clinton caused incredible revulsion among evangelical Neanderthals and Newt was right there defending him, expressing total outrage with every mention of that scandal, every step of the way. Of course I was blowing so much weed back then my memory is quite clouded but I'm certain I am right. As Clinton cheated on only one wife and had a damned fine presidency, I can only assume Newt's will be twice as good as he cheated on two. Therefore, I too will support Newt. I'm voting for Newt because I support family values. The more families, the more value!!! Let's hear it for the "good guys"!

Bob Forer 3 years, 4 months ago

Jesus told his rich friend to give all his money to the poor, and that a rich man has less chance of getting to heaven that a camel going through the eye of a needle. He also said PEACEmakers were blessed, to love your ENEMIES, to forgive seventy times seven times, that he who lives by the sword will die by it, to turn the other cheek, repay evil with good, thou shall not kill, etc. The only people Jesus really got angry at were RELIGIOUS hypocrites. Leaving aside Ron Paul, does any of that sound like the Republican platform of increasing economic disparity, starting pre-emptive, unnecessary wars of choice, Gitmo, torture of enemies and theocracy? It seems to be directly OPPOSITE to it

You may think all of the GOP contenders except for Paul are good guys. However, I doubt Jesus would agree with you.