Letters to the Editor

Art clarification

January 20, 2012

To the editor:

I want to apologize to Emily Johnson’s extended family for my “frivolous” attack on art. I should have “symbolized” my opinion in a much clearer way.  But what can I expect, being an ignorant person living in a state that has been cast aside by Boston?

As for bad roads, I do my homework every time I drive down my road. It would be in the 0.8 percent below level three — whatever level three “symbolizes” — but it is an “unpaved” township road, not a KDOT road and one of many unpaved roads in the state.

I have tried to support artists from time to time. I wanted to buy a velvet picture of Elvis once, but my wife said no! I know that symbolizes something, just don’t know what yet. My wife and I have supported and enjoy community theater and the arts both in Lawrence and Topeka as well as Kansas City.  But in these economic times I would just like to see my tax dollars put toward helping the average Kansas resident have a good-paying job, affordable health care and livable surroundings so we can all enjoy living and supporting our families each day.

Comments

Peter Macfarlane 2 years, 2 months ago

To Mr Wingfield,

If you want to have all the things you indicated at the bottom of your letter, the solution is easy: Vote Democratic. All the Republicans want to do is take money away from the poor and middle class and make sure that the rich more of their money.

Iam Tired 2 years, 3 months ago

This LTE writer should quit ... while he is till just a little behind.

You should run, not walk, from this one; but, at best, you will only be able to limp, Dick.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

If the budget for the arts was more than just a tiny fraction of the state budget even before the cuts, Mr. Wingfield might have a point. But it wasn't, so he doesn't.

markoo 2 years, 3 months ago

Umm, Dick, you really didn't help your case at all.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

I'll bet that the velvet Elvis was produced in a factory in Mexico, shipped to the U.S. illegally since his family owns the rights to the use of his image, taxes were never paid on its sale, with the money going back to Mexico, some of which likely ending up in the hands of the drug cartels that in turn are sending people into our country illegally to sell drugs, committ other crimes, use American hospitals and have anchor babies and drive down the American economy, forcing people, including God-loving Kansans, out of work and making them unable to have access to affordable health care.

Good thing you didn't get that painting after all. Looks like your wife made at least one good decision.

Besides, who wants art you have to vacuum?

defenestrator 2 years, 3 months ago

This is one of those time when you felt like responding, but probably should have just limped away with your tail between your legs.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 3 months ago

Who said or wrote: "Man does not live by bread alone"?

Benjamin Roberts 2 years, 3 months ago

Talk about showing up for a battle of wits unarmed.

It must #suckalot to be Richard Wingfield.