Letters to the Editor

Fambrough St.

January 19, 2012

To the editor:

Don Fambrough positively affected thousands of lives during his many years of service to our community. Obviously he impacted football players and their families — not just helping them become better athletes but mentoring them to become productive and giving citizens as he was. I had the honor and privilege of being around Coach Fam in a number of settings: leading and playing in bands, civic organizations, supporting good causes, education and many others. I came away from every encounter a better person.

We do have (Phog) Allen Fieldhouse and the (Dick, Skipper and Odd) Williams Fund. I wish we had a Russell Wiley music building. But now the city leaders have a great opportunity to honor another Lawrence legend by naming one block of a street next to Memorial Stadium for Coach Fam. Let’s do it!

Paul Gray,

Lawrence

Comments

jayhawker89 2 years, 3 months ago

Lets change Missouri street to Fambrough Street even if its just 9th to 11th and it also runs close to the stadium.

gotmylimitofjhawks 2 years, 3 months ago

Great idea...change the name of a street in honor of that senile hatemonger!!!

Then change Wakarusa to Hitler Way...and Clinton Parkway to Fred Phelps Blvd.

Get to it Larryville!!!

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely, recognize both Wiley and Fambrough in some way. Very fitting with the heritage of the this town. The more streets we name after people that contributed positively to the community, the fewer streets we have to name after the current comissioners and other city reprobates.

observant 2 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely NO street names for this mediocre coach. In fact we need to remove the Clinton Parkway and Billings Parkway names as well. People can understand directions when you give them a street name that fits existing pattern. I will always refer to Clinton as 23rd and Billings as 15th.

grahambailey 2 years, 3 months ago

Solomon makes a legitimate point. Certainly Coach Fam was an interesting figure, but I have to question naming a street after someone who expressed such vitriol against any state or group of people. Like everyone else, I loved to see our kids beat MU, but never thought it was quite the all-everything coach put on it. My personal opinion, and it's nothing more than that, is that it is not particularly healthy to spew such obvious hatred. I certainly don't think it should be rewarded with such an honorific. I can think of better candidates, but think the street name is fine as it, with its proper juxtaposition as a state.

grahambailey 2 years, 3 months ago

50YearResident 2 years, 3 months ago

Name the scoreboard after Fambrough. Old street names need to stay exactly as they are. If you want to name a street after him, find a new, yet un-named street to name. Changing street names just causes "confusion" and we already have enough of that.

Eybea Opiner 2 years, 3 months ago

Didn't KU already talk about naming a university street next to the stadium after him? Let the university do it.

Furthermore, at the risk of being burned at the stake as a heretic, I should note that Don Fambrough was a player and coach of only moderate abilities. His main fame came as a result of his profane excoriations of the University of Missouri. Hardly a contribution worthy of street-naming recognition.

Abdu Omar 2 years, 3 months ago

I am sure Mr. Fambrough was a great coach and humanitarian. Why not name the Stadium where he worked after him. Not a street. Street names are not as important.