Archive for Wednesday, January 18, 2012

KU incubator space fills up with addition of pharmaceutial company

January 18, 2012

Ligand Pharmaceuticals, a drug-discovery company, will move into the Bioscience and Technology Business Center at Kansas University, and bring the incubator space on KU’s West Campus to 100 percent occupancy.

Ligand will bring two employees to the facility, but the number could grow later this year.

The BTBC opened in summer 2010.

Ligand purchased Lenexa-based CyDex Pharmaceuticals in January 2011. CyDex was founded in 1993 to commercialize drug-delivery technology invented in the labs of KU researcher Val Stella.

The statewide BTBC system, including the main facility, the expansion facility at 4950 Research Parkway in Lawrence, and the KUMC facility in Kansas City, Kan., now have 15 tenants overall.

Comments

Mark Jakubauskas 2 years, 11 months ago

This has been an impressive success. They need to build another one ASAP.

LivedinLawrence4Life 2 years, 11 months ago

So Ligand bought Cydex. How did all the local investors in Cydex do on their initial investment in Cydex? Did they make money, lose money or break even? Please research that and please publish the findings! I've heard that the local investors got taken and lost their entire investment but I don't have access to the info to be sure. I believe the public has a right to know!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

I've been on the inside of a situation such as you are describing. That is, I was an employee.

Those were penny stocks, and the investors most likely lost everything. And what happened is not public information if the company is not listed on the NYSE, so unless you personally know an investor, you are not likely to learn anything.

This is a clip and paste of a comment I made some time ago, along with the links that accompanied it:

On a few occasions I have given investment advice on this forum. You might read my comments that follow the articles that I have linked below.

Most penny stocks are nothing but scam operations. I know because I have been employed by at least a couple of them.

One of the best ways to make money on penny stocks is to offer your services for a fee and advise investors which penny stocks are likely to make the investors rich. When you have reached your desired financial goal, change your name and move away.

Another way to do it is to start a company, and be sure to incorporate it, that's based on smoke and mirrors. Impress the right people, and penny stock investors will part with their money very quickly. Be sure to pay yourself a very large salary all along, and when the investor's money is all gone, have the company declare bankruptcy. It's actually very easy to do. Legal, too.

But, every once in a while someone does make a large fortune on penny stocks. But to tell the truth, I think lottery tickets would be a better investment, unless you are in complete control of the company's operations and also understand what you and the company are doing very, very well.

On some of these links, you will need to scroll down to get to my comments.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Although, every bankruptcy has to be reported in the newspaper, for legal purposes. But that won't inform you of what the original investors got back out of their initial investment. But usually, it's nothing at all.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Short form:

One company I worked for declared bankruptcy in Chicago, moved elsewhere, got a lot of publicity, and attracted a lot of new investors that didn't know anything about the company's history, or even understand exactly what the product was.

Then, after the owners of the company paid themselves very high salaries for quite a while, along with very generous fringe benefits, they declared bankruptcy again, and the new investors lost everything, all over again.

It was all legal. Everyone wants to get rich, and the best way to get rich is to give others the "opportunity" to invest in whatever you claim you're doing.

Corporate law, along with personal ethics, is very low in the United States today. But, maybe personal ethics were generally low for thousands of years, and there is nothing new under the sun.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

But, here is a qualifier:

I was one of the first employees of a start up company that was perfectly legitimate, and all of the original investors did very well. Not ALL new businesses are bad investments.

BUT it is very important to carefully examine the company's prospectus, understand exactly what the product is, how it is to be used, and what the market for it is.

And, think about it. Is this really realistic?

And never invest more than 5 % of your portfolio in any single investment, no matter how wonderful it sounds.