Archive for Tuesday, January 17, 2012

State senator says she caught Rep. TerriLois Gregory recording conversation

January 17, 2012

— A state senator said Tuesday that she caught state Rep. TerriLois Gregory, R-Baldwin City, recording a conversation between the two of them.

“I found it shocking,” said state Sen. Vicki Schmidt, R-Topeka. “I have been really taken aback by it. I don’t expect colleagues to record colleagues inside an office.”

The incident occurred last week, Schmidt said.

Gregory came into Schmidt’s office and asked her some questions dealing with Gov. Sam Brownback’s plan to privatize Medicaid, specifically how it would apply to those with disabilities.

Schmidt, chairwoman of the Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee, has been holding discussions this week in her committee on the plan.

Schmidt said she saw a red light in Gregory’s purse and at first thought it was a cellphone, but then she asked Gregory about it. Gregory said it was a tape recorder and that she was taping their conversation.

In response to the incident, Gregory gave a prepared statement.

“I care deeply about the disability community and wanted to be sure I got my facts straight. My goal was to be sure I fully understood, and offending Senator Schmidt was not my intention.”

Comments

karma2010 2 years, 2 months ago

Do you really believe that this is the first time she has done this? Think again.

Carol Bowen 2 years, 2 months ago

Educate me. Is Senator Schmidt a moderate Republican? is Represntative Gregory a conservative Republican?

Steve Hicks 2 years, 3 months ago

In defense of TerriLois, who's my state representative:

She was on the committee hearing testimony for Kobach' voter I.D. legislation. She was generous in sharing the testimony that committee heard, and willing to listen to my critique of it. In the end she (along with the committee, state government, and most Kansans) were snookered into furthering Kobach' personal agenda. But that's because of the bad political principles she follows (along with the committee, state government, and most Kansans).

The current ruling faction in our state and the Republican Party take as their principle the Reagan inaugural sound-bite that "...government IS the problem." But government conducted on such an ANTI-government principle can only be illogical, misdirected, and harmful: the situation we currently have.

If government is evil, it raises the question WHY Reagan-followers would want to be part of it ? And when they are (the situation we currently have), their operative principle forces them to see any GOOD purpose of government (health-care, education, regulation of financial or energy companies, the arts) as evil (i.e., "socialism").

Despite their purported "Christian" principles, that faction's view (and practice) of government contradicts the New Testament view: that human government should do GOOD (healthcare for the poor, possibly ?) and punish evil-doers (banks and financial companies that nearly destroyed our economy, do you think ?).

TerriLois follows bad political principles. If she twists scripture to whitewash those as "Christian" principles, she's got problems bigger than her politics. But the same could be said for her faction, her party, our governor, Kris Kobach (whose national ambitions make him the most deeply sinister of the lot), most of the state legislature, and a lot of Kansans who've been deceived by them.

TerriLois has followed bad principles. From my contacts with her, however, I don't consider her a bad person. She's seemed to TRY to do the right thing as a legislator, but been led astray by the evil principles she follows.

People who do harm because they've been deceived to think it's RIGHT deserve pity and forgiveness, not censure. On the other hand, it's not wise to give such an individual, faction, or party, governmental responsibilities.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 3 months ago

"Caring deeply about the disability community" might be read as a patronizing, offensive card to play in a state so politically unaware and insensitive that aggressive street harassment against strangers rather than treating people equally and with dignity and like mature people who can manage their own affairs constitutes the accepted norm for telling ourselves and others we are charitable people. People with obvious but to many yokels invisible intellectual challenges prey on those with the most minor visible physical limitations to increase their own status. It's demeaning.

equalaccessprivacy 2 years, 3 months ago

Think about tightening up the relevant laws in KS! I've experienced the hacks in KU's HR and General Counsel try to criminally frame innocent people by taking secret recordings and then misrepresenting their time, date, and circumstances.

verity 2 years, 3 months ago

Legal or not, if a friend taped me without telling me, they would no longer be my friend or allowed in my house. It's creepy, it's rude and I would certainly consider it unethical. Why would you even want to do it without telling someone unless you were trying to pull something?

sciencegeek 2 years, 3 months ago

If the intent was to get the facts straight, the recording device should have been brought out in the beginning, accompanied by " Mind if I tape this?".

The more likely scenario is that a conservative wingnut Republican wanted to get something on tape to be used against a (gasp!) moderate Republican. Or hadn't you noticed the scorched-earth intent of the radical conservative wing?

So much for the moral platitudes of the "Christian" right-wingers. They wouldn't know decency if it sat on their desk.

pace 2 years, 3 months ago

Rep. TerriLois Gregory is a sneak and a liar.

topeka411 2 years, 3 months ago

Why did TLO have to hide the fact that she was taping Senator Schmidt? The answer is obvious. She is carrying water for the hard right who have targeted Sen. Schmidt for defeat. They believe, Bible in hand, that whatever dirty tricks they pull are just fine! The rules don't apply to them, because they know best.
And, one dare not disagree or they'll be sanctioned! Just ask the high school student tweeter.

Kim Murphree 2 years, 3 months ago

Besides the blatant unethical behavior of TeriLois Gregory...if she wanted to tape the conversation for clarity, she could have just put the recorder on the desk and told Rep. Schmidt what she was doing and asked if that was ok with her. The fact that she didn't do it with that kind of openness strongly suggests a different agenda. So, we all know what she was up to---the funniest part about this is her complete inability to complete the task without getting caught...I mean, for crying out loud...she didn't even check to see if the recorder could be seen through her purse? Tell you what Governor...you just keep sending spies like TeriLois out, and the rest of us won't worry too much about leaking any secret info to them.

thebigspoon 2 years, 3 months ago

Another question: how many times and with whom has she exhibited (or hidden) this behavior? It's said that one who is dishonest once is dishonest many times. AI'm very interested in how many times this has happened.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

So, people shouldn't record while at meetings or students at lectures or anything where you are collecting info and choose to record vs. write? With cell phones, you never know who 's recording (audio or visual) any time of the day. I just can't wait until someone gets me on their cell phone picking my nose and it goes viral on youtube. lol!

bad_dog 2 years, 3 months ago

Where's Linda Tripp? I'm sure she could offer some great tips on covert taping to Gregory.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

math: "At least I'm honest about my past and present"

Best line of the year so far.

woodscolt 2 years, 3 months ago

Secretly recording a conversion generally implies that the person doing the recording has an agenda that may not be acceptable to the person being recorded. In this case, it certainly violates etiquette regardless of legality. Oh well, isn't it nice when the pubs have to use their tactics on each other.

prospector 2 years, 3 months ago

The only comment on the LJW Chat with Terri and only comment ever made by this poster. HMMM.

Damn, we should have listened.

HartRN (anonymous) says…

i beg the people of lawrence...stay away from this woman. she is not who you think she is. electing her for anything in office would be the demise of your city. August 1, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.

permalink reply suggest removal

appleaday 2 years, 3 months ago

She should have been up front about it and told her she was going to record the conversation in order to correctly remember the facts. Concealing it and recording without permission is the issue.

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 3 months ago

T-Lo was attempting to record Sen. Schmidt bad mouthing Sam Brownback. Period.

You do not bad mouth Il Marrone.

its_just_math 2 years, 3 months ago

I would've told Schmidt "It's none of your GD business what's in my purse, now stay on topic." Politicians are such primadonnas.

grammaddy 2 years, 3 months ago

As long as honesty is top priority, recording it should not be a problem.What was she trying to hide?

Ken Lassman 2 years, 3 months ago

I guess I don't see the great harm in taping a conversation where you are trying to get a complex issue correct, and as far as providing managed care for folks with disabilities goes, practically everything hinges on the details. Sure, she should have said what she was doing, but she wasn't hiding it when asked, and sounds like she will tell folks in the future. Call me naive if you like, but in this case there is a distinct possibility that she was actually trying to do her job!

Richard Heckler 2 years, 3 months ago

Republicans have this thing about taping illegally or listening in..

Richard Milhouse Nixon listened in on the democrats illegally in hopes of not losing the upcoming election. He resigned after being caught....think Watergate.

I believe this scoundrel TerriLois is working with Brownback to unseat certain republicans therefore it is safe to say Vicki Schmidt is on the Koch Brothers/Brownback hit list or I should have said Vicky Schmidt is among those republicans on the Koch Brothers/Sam Brownback hit list. Very facist like thinking = Koch/Brownback!

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Why is it that Republican religious social conservatives tend to be unmitigated hypocrites. Jesus admonished us to clothe the naked, heal the sick, and feed the hungry. Apparently, Sam has misinterpreted the Bible to direct Christians to "make the wealthy wealthier."

Brownie is not without company. Take the case of Rick Santorum and wife, whom base their entire campaign on a claim that they have superior moral character to President and Mrs Obama. This whore - and she IS a whore - stands by her (current) man with a sanctimonious smirk on her face, while he demeans people of color and vows to ensure that any woman who becomes pregnant as a result of rape or incest will be forced to endure the gestation and birth of that child as some sort of religious penance. (although, of course, when she developed a severe infection after a surgical procedure to save the baby, Ricky and wife agreed to an abortion to save her life) . Mrs Santorum should be taken to task, asked to explain herself for not only living with an abortionist, but acting as his pimp by bringing young girlas to his office and ensuring them that the procedure "isn't so bad." Mrs Obama simply stated her elation at what she (and the rest of us) thought was a new day in freedom and race relations in this country...and was flayed for it, called a traitor and a communist and a militant. I wonder if the Santorum children knew their mother was a whore before this story broke.

triplegoddess13 2 years, 3 months ago

Last time I checked it wasn't illegal to record conversations as long as one of the people being recorded is aware of it.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 3 months ago

She thought that was a bad scene? That's nothing!

I know a couple, and the husband became suspicious. So he rigged up a hidden tape recorder that recorded all the phone calls made or received at the house.

And then, he listened to them,,,

Oh boy!

ThePilgrim 2 years, 3 months ago

Yet another week of shenanigans at the Statehouse by people who are not qualified to be state legislators, people who rose one step up from their local shady, crooked city council seats.

toe 2 years, 3 months ago

With micro technology, assume all conversations are recorded and heading to a social network near you.

BigDog 2 years, 3 months ago

Talk to Teri Lois Gregory sometime .... you will understand why she needed a tape recorder. Let's just say most blonde jokes .... are about her

defenestrator 2 years, 3 months ago

This lady has very shady ethics. Period.

If (and that's a big IF) her intentions were noble, why would she not have disclosed to the senator that she wanted to record their private conversation?

I am embarrassed that this person represents me in the statehouse.