Archive for Thursday, January 12, 2012

No raises for state workers in Brownback’s 2013 budget

January 12, 2012

— Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback isn't including a general pay increase for state employees in his proposed budget.

But the spending plan Brownback outlined Thursday would continue to fund a program that provides longevity bonuses to veteran state employees during the fiscal year that begins July 1.

The proposed budget notes that state employees haven't received pay increases for several years, as Kansas has struggled with financial problems.

Brownback's administration says he's not proposing a cost-of-living increase for workers, or funding the boost in pay that civil service workers normally receive if they've satisfactorily completed another year of work.

But Brownback's budget does include $12 million for longevity bonuses. At 10 years, workers get a bonus of $50 for every year of service, up to $1,250.

Comments

pace 2 years, 6 months ago

Thank god Brownback is holding on to old values, that cutting taxes for the rich will produce jobs. He is willing to do so on the back of state workers and cutting services to children, sick and elderly. what a guy. I hope he can offer enough sacrifices to appease his gods, the koch bros. Everyone has the right to practice their religion.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Well, yea, that's a real solution-- blame everything on some kids.

You know, your xenophobia can in no way compensate for your bad math. There have been numerous studies that have shown that immigrants (illegal/undocumented or otherwise) are pretty much neutral in their effects on government expenditures, since they also pay a large amount of taxes that support programs that they can never benefit from (and probably subsidizing benefits you get, to boot.)

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 6 months ago

Yea, but I hear that he's going to give them all a really big slice of cake.

Paul Geisler 2 years, 6 months ago

Brownslack strikes again! Propping up the state budget on the backs of the state employees, many of which earn middle-class incomes! Talk about being out of touch with his constituents!

Joe Hyde 2 years, 6 months ago

I stand transfixed by the governor's appreciation of the state workers who keep this place running.

If I may offer my services as speech writer for his next State of the State address:

"Uh, look here now, my fellow Kansans. Enough naive voters thought I would do good things like look out for the middle class, improve public schools, protect the environment, safeguard women's rights, all that middle-of-the-road nonsense. Are you people crazy? Did you think I'd really do stuff like that?

"Remember the moral high ground grandstanding and staff foot-washing I did in Washington when I was a U.S. Senator? Fooled ya, didn't I? All I'm back here in Topeka to do is take orders from the billionaire Koch brothers, wrap their anti-social legislative actions with a U.S. flag and pages torn from the Bible, and systematically make the State of Kansas unrecognizeable from the place y'all grew up in. (The Kochs would do these things themselves but they're too shy to get out in public.)

"And about these Kansas state workers hoping for a pay raise? Oh, please. To the Kochs and me they're plantation slaves working a different farm field, is all. So don't anybody get upset when I dictatorially terminate entire groups of them and deny the rest pay raises.

"Well, okay, okay: a $50 per year bonus...but they only get the money after, repeat after, they've worked my fields for 10 years. And by then it won't be me paying them the $50; I'll be living somewhere down in Texas, where between prayer conferences me and Rick are gonna be lobbyists for Boeing. It's the Christian thing to do,"

InspectorJo 2 years, 6 months ago

Really, Sam, help Kansans. Did you forget how you got where you are at? Another year of no State COLA?

Shane Garrett 2 years, 6 months ago

If money grew on trees. We would all be working for the man picking money on the money tree farm. Did not vote for Sam for student body president at KSU and never voted for him to represent me.

cowboy 2 years, 6 months ago

Brownback should fire himself , its the only righteous thing to do Sam. You have spent your lifetime sucking wealth from the government in jobs where there was no accountability for you personally. You and your family have sucked hundreds of thousands of dollars in farm subsidies from the taxpayers. Sam , you are a government welfare Ho.

Now in the first position that does require planning , execution , and knowledge of a larger environment you have failed at every step with amateurish hires , half assed implementations , and complete miscalculations of the impacts of your hair-brained ideas.

So fire yourself please , it would actually be the best thing you could do for Kansas.

PS: Quit with the savior pose , enough.

pegicorn 2 years, 6 months ago

Here, here! I totally agree with you cowboy. Please Governor Sam Browback put your two weeks notice in. The state of Kansas will rejoice in your news for once!

trinity 2 years, 6 months ago

Great...yet another year that saw job duties (at least in my position) increase due to edicts from fools who have NEVER worked "in the field" and who have absolutely zero idea what we do on a day to day basis, not to mention having to deal with the fact that there exist "higher" level people in this particular branch who rarely perform a full day's work yet rake in over 100k per year...our insurance premiums have gone up...and we can't even get a freakin' COLA?? Well thank god, at least, that longevity is intact. What an utterly soul-less idiot this governor of ours is. Oh yeah-thanks to whomever posted above&reminded me that there might be CAKE served at the statehouse maybe someday! That's real nice for the state employees in Topeka; when the hell do the rest of us get "cake"???

question4u 2 years, 6 months ago

Brownback isn't interested in fairness. He's made that crystal clear. It's simply not in his character.

His creed is "prosperity belongs to the few." You can't build castles for the few unless you break the backs of the many. School children, the mentally disabled, state workers, and anyone who isn't wealthy like Brownback is not the governor's concern.

jafs 2 years, 6 months ago

That's remarkable.

When people are desperate, they'll accept whatever they can get - so with increased unemployment and a bad economy, you can probably find people to work for very little money.

There we have the fundamental moral issue at the base of a "free market" approach.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 6 months ago

The fair market price for most of level state jobs below I would say 40,000 a year should be 47,000. So if you are for reduction of wages, start at the top. Trinity is spot on.

cyborg6886 2 years, 6 months ago

The State paid for a study to be done on the wages of state employees and found that the people in my job position were 33% under paid. There were market adjustments made over time to help bring that up but they were small uncompleted steps and only for the "classified" employees. I, however, am unclassified. Basically I do not get cost of living raises or longevity bonuses and I surely don't get the market adjustment raises. I haven't gotten a raise in several years. None of us unclassified workers have. What's worse is that 75% of my pay is reimbursed to the state by the federal government. The state is only responsible for 25 cents of every dollar I get paid and yet I am still getting paid $7 to $10 per hour less than the people doing my same job in the private sector.

progressive_thinker 2 years, 6 months ago

What the article fails to mention is that the salary freeze only applies to the employees in the classified service. That includes psychiatric aides at state hospitals,corrections officers at state prisons, and a variety of others that do the most thankless jobs for the state.

If they have one of their buddies in a highly paid unclassified position, they can pay them what they want, and give them a raise if they so choose.

cyborg6886 2 years, 6 months ago

kcflyer 2 years, 6 months ago

For State employees at KUMC, this will be year 4 without a raise. (Year 5 if you don't count the very generous 1% raise 4 years ago). Everything keeps going up...the State health plan premiums continue to rise. Yes, for some reason employees at every other Regents school including KU got raises this year...but not at KUMC. It is costing employees money to be a State employee. Brownback is so out of touch with reality and how could BGL allow raises for main campus employees but not KUMC employees? It is a sad state of affairs.

Richard Heckler 2 years, 6 months ago

Sam Brownback is putting a lot of hot button issues forward.

Is Sam Brownback even a republican? I say no.

So why did the republican party get behind this bogus republican? Did they not do their homework?

roadie33 2 years, 6 months ago

I was working at a new construction site for 2 weeks for a new State Office in Western Kansas a few years ago. The sheet rock contractor had 10 guys on the crew and the only one that spoke English was the lead worker. On Friday of both weeks, I watched the Owner come in and the crew lined up and he paid them in cash, except the Lead worker who got a check. Now tell me where that income tax helped Kansans or anyone for that matter.