Letters to the Editor

Art funding

January 12, 2012

To the editor:

If taking a picture of a mannequin in a field (Journal-World front page, Jan.10) is the kind of art Gov. Brownback is cutting funding to, please, governor, cut away. I would like my tax money spent on better roads.

Comments

bolshavik_vw 2 years, 3 months ago

Art is a form of Self Expression. And that consists more than Haybales, Windmills, and Sunflowers. I am an Artist, I do Abstact Art. I look up at the work of Kandinsky, Picasso and various other Artists, I do not paint Pictures, I paint shapes, designs, etc. Although I have gotten asked by people what was I on,? or what did I smoke?. Well absolutly nothing. It is the kind of art I do. Kandinsky was the first artist that painted Paintings, with absolutly no title to them. That is me. I love Art, My dad, Father In Law, along with a lot of my friends are artists in some form or another. Art is a part of my life. And for the one, in another Article Comment here in LJW, who stated that she did not want to have HER tax money pay for Art. TO me that is selfish, and sad. It seems like if a lot of people can not have a Barn Painted their mailbox or a round piece of wood made into a clock, then they are not interested and do not wish to have art in THEIR state. Well it has 105 Counties that we are all in, and if you do not like the liberal side of Kansas. Well then take your 102 Counties and make your own state. And what would it be called the state of REDNECKISTAN!

Mike Ford 2 years, 3 months ago

art is in the eye of the beholder....not in the uncreative bean counting mindset of a conservative.....family example......my father has painted probably 30 pictures in his forty years of ministry. He painted a picture of the cloth hall in Ypres, Belgium, spires and all. Once his late Republican businessman father looked at a picture he painted and sounded like you all. He snorted, "How much did that one cost??" like a true conservative....my father retorted..."Nothing Dad, I painted it". My grandfather stated, "Oh", and that was the end of it. Creativity should overcome bean counting and a rural sense of non creativity. You realize that "American Gothic" picture was making fun of rural uncreative hayseeds 75 years ago right?

Ray Parker 2 years, 3 months ago

For the second year in a row, the federally funded National Portrait Gallery (NPG), a part of the Smithsonian Institution, held an exposition during the Christmas season focused on the homosexual lifestyle. “Seeing Gertrude Stein: Five Stories,” an exhibition appearing at the NPG from Oct. 14, 2011 through Jan. 22, 2012, focuses on lesbian activist and writer Gertrude Stein. Last year, over the Christmas season, the museum hosted “Hide/Seek: Difference and Desire in American Portraiture,” a self-described homoerotic exhibition that included a video with images of Jesus on an ant-covered crucifix, naked brothers kissing and other controversial pieces. Given that NPG mounts less than a dozen exhibits annually, while two exhibits within the past 14 months have included a focus on the homosexual lifestyle, there is obviously a high-priority taxpayer-funded agenda to promote filthy sodomy and vile perversion here.

beatrice 2 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps the best known image of Kansas -- John Steuart Curry's mural of John Brown with his arms raised with a tornado approaching in the background at the State Capitol -- was paid for using public funds. Would we really be better off without it? I mean, we would still be here, we would still be around, but hasn't that image, like many others paid for by public funds, improved our lives in immeasurable ways?

Yes, some public art can be just dumb. Some, however, can be great. Great art educates people. It teaches us something about our shared humanity. Have you ever looked at a work of art that is hundreds of years old or made in a culture far away, that speaks to you, that moves you and connects you to the human spirit? We really do not want to stand on the side of less education and less art.

rockchalker52 2 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone ever heard the phrase 'You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar?' While I disagree with the LTE, I doubt the above comments have done much to enlighten the author or change his mind. Mostly, they widen the chasm we all must cross to arrive at a destination of mutual respect. Thanks to kef104, whether or not you agree with it, for a reasonable response.

asonesign175 2 years, 3 months ago

The girl in the picture has worked her ass off the last three and a half years. She spent every waking moment focused on her art. In return it paid off, she got an amazing scholarship to AIB and is continuing to crank incredible art out of her ass. Thank God she got away from people like you. She will soon have art all over the world while you sit on your ass in lecompton, still asking a stupid governor for nicer roads.

Ragingbear 2 years, 3 months ago

I am still waiting for my Billion Dollars from that art I posted on the LJW website a while back.

kef104 2 years, 3 months ago

Richard Art is a reflection of life and is presented in various modes so that if one looks, one can find something that not only catches ones attention, but also stimulates something to enhance how we think or feel. I am sure an MU fan would not want to see money "wasted" on Jayhawks on Parade. Yet there are many of us who, years after the parade presentation, still greatly enjoy seeing the fiberglass Jays around town.
Societies that lack or lose their art, develop a "dead" feeling and often lose their population. Most communities in Kansas, especially western Kansas, are suffering dramatic population losses even when compared to 100 years ago. Remember, new companies and jobs are drawn to a community, not the other way around. Each year with a declining population means less money for the roads the author wants fixed. The strangest aspect of this letter: the author passed judgement on the process of creating the art and never even saw a finished piece. FYI, Jim Brothers sculpts in the middle of a field north of town that looks a lot like where this photo was taken. If judgement of his works were based on a field and the early part of the creation process the world and the White House rotunda would be far less interesting.

asixbury 2 years, 3 months ago

The art pictured on the front of the paper has nothing to do with publically-funded art. SO…you wasted your time ignoramus.

defenestrator 2 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Wingnut:

Thanks for paying your taxes and entrusting that Sam will forward that money right on over to Mr. and Mr. Koch. Thanks again.

As for the art student in the picture: Congratulations on working hard and getting out of Kansas (probably on scholarship) and trying to make the best of a world full of selfish, ignorant a holes. Good job.

Ginny Hedges 2 years, 3 months ago

friendlyjhawk - If you don't like their letter, why do you have to write a snotty comment? Ignore and move on.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 3 months ago

If you don't like the art/article, why do you have to write a snotty letter? Ignore and move on.

spiller 2 years, 3 months ago

Don't worry, Mr. Wingfield. Pope Brownback will give you the Kansas kulture you deserve.

Brock Masters 2 years, 3 months ago

Little Eli sold his art for the largest amount he's earned on art to date so I agree, artist can get by without government funding.