Archive for Thursday, January 12, 2012

2 bald eagles shot and killed in Kansas

January 12, 2012

— The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is investigating after two bald eagles were found shot to death in Kansas.

The first eagle was found Monday in a ditch near the Ness County-Trego County line. The second eagle was found Tuesday near the Montgomery County-Wilson County line.

The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism said in a news release Thursday that X-rays found metal in both eagles.

Bald eagles are protected by federal law.

Anyone with information about the deaths of the eagles is asked to contact the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Topeka at 785-232-5149, or the Kansas wildlife department's hotline at 1-877-426-3843.

Comments

shleppy 2 years, 8 months ago

well, I guess if you can't hit a goose you got to try for a larger target. disgusting.

chzypoof1 2 years, 8 months ago

That's a very stereotypical comment there shleppy. I don't hunt with ANYONE that's willing to kill something illegal or out of season. Just because 2 morons killed eagles doesn't mean Goose hunters are bad.

Pathetic

DillonBarnes 2 years, 8 months ago

I think you're reading too much into his comment.

shleppy 2 years, 8 months ago

i was just trying to say these idiots cant shoot straight. sorry to ruffle your feathers.

Cai 2 years, 8 months ago

FWIW, I didn't see your original comment as anything against goose hunters. You could insert pretty much any bird there. I saw it more as a stab against inept hunters. (which, mind you, isn't all hunters. Just the inept ones).

hail2oldku 2 years, 8 months ago

Autie are you keeping those SEK cuzzins in line?

riverdrifter 2 years, 8 months ago

I'd guess that one was shot near Cedar Bluffs Res. and one near Elk City Lake as eagles hang around open lakes in winter. Hundreds of miles apart so they wouldn't seem to be related. I wonder if the talons and feathers were removed or if they were just shot and left.

Shane Garrett 2 years, 8 months ago

This is sad. I was just at the Eagles club last night. Most of them are bald and now scared.

somedude20 2 years, 8 months ago

I would not worry so much about dead eagles (unless it is the band) when Brownback and his ilk are walking and taking a leak all over the constitution

dlkrm 2 years, 8 months ago

You meant Obama. Common mistake in this town.

Cai 2 years, 8 months ago

he probably meant brownback.

Both politicians are doing it. So...I'm guessing he typed the name right. Just because the town is biased to the left doesn't mean we have all of our facts wrong.

And just because you're biased to the right doesn't mean brownback isn't ruining the constituion any less. (though, again, I'm personally of the opinion that Obama isn't doing any better at upholding it ... )

cletus26 2 years, 8 months ago

I hope whomever gets found for doing it is prosecuted!!!

Tony Kisner 2 years, 8 months ago

So how do you brag at the bar about shooting an Eagle? *SS.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 8 months ago

Wher is Libertyone? Why isn't he advocating here for fewer government regulations? I think we've found a set of rules adopted by the government we all support...

gatekeeper 2 years, 8 months ago

Totally agree!!!!! I live near the river and whenever I see them, I am in awe. The people that did this betrayed the nation by killing the national symbol and should be charged with treason.