Archive for Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Winter weather advisory lifted

January 11, 2012, 11:02 a.m. Updated January 12, 2012, 1:10 a.m.

UPDATE: 1:10 a.m. The National Weather Service has lifted the winter weather advisory.

__

The National Weather Service has issued a winter weather advisory for Lawrence until 1 a.m. Thursday.

As snow begins to fall tonight, temperatures will continue to drop to a low of 18 degrees overnight. Snowfall is predicted to be less than one inch, but it may make for slippery road conditions. Icy patches may develop on roads.

Temperatures will dip tomorrow, with a high of 27 degrees and a chance of flurries. Friday's high is predicted to be 34 degrees, and temperatures will climb over the weekend, with a high of 45 on Saturday and 50 on Sunday.

City crews have started preparing for the winter weather by pre-treating roads with a new saltwater solution. They will continue to treat roads when the snow begins to fall.

“There is potential for roadways to become slick with the dropping temperatures and the forecast calling for snow,” said Mark Thiel, assistant public works director. “Crews are ready to treat roadways with sand and salt throughout the evening as necessary. As always, our reminder to motorists is to slow down and allow plenty of time to get to your destination to avoid accidents.”

Most of the snowfall is predicted to be in the north and east of Lawrence, according to a city press release.

Comments

evilpenguin 2 years, 11 months ago

Get that woo out of there! Those anti-Jayhawkers will be after you!

itsalwayssunnyinlarry 2 years, 11 months ago

me too. I was really looking forward to not seeing snow for a full year. (i think the last snow fall was feb 11)

Kirk Larson 2 years, 11 months ago

I can take being hot and I can take being cold. I'd rather be hot than cold.

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 11 months ago

Cancel school, but everyone can drive to Dunkin Donuts regardless of the streets.....

Just for the kids, you understand.

Christine Pennewell Davis 2 years, 11 months ago

Well Boston I hate to be mean but I have never been to Dunkin Donuts so even if school gets canceld, doubtful, I will not be there.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 11 months ago

We're all gonna die! (most of us will not freeze to death tomorrow)

blindrabbit 2 years, 11 months ago

Cappy: I dare you to make that statement if you have spent a summer in one of these places I have: Houston, Washington D.C., New Orleans or Atlanta!

countrygirl 2 years, 11 months ago

Hey Cappy try southern Tennessee in August. That's a whole new kind of heat.

Joe Berns 2 years, 11 months ago

Meanwhile, my street still hasn't been plowed..

oh crud, sorry, I got a little ahead of myself...