Archive for Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Garden City woman loses $4,300 in Internet scam

January 11, 2012

— A western Kansas woman is out $4,300 after she fell for an Internet scam that advertised education grants.

The Garden City Telegram reports the unidentified Garden City woman received an email advertising an education grant of several thousand dollars.

The woman applied for the grant and was asked to pay an application fee to receive the money. She paid with a credit card and was repeatedly contacted for more fees from Dec. 8 to Jan. 5, when police learned of the scam.

Garden City police Sgt. Randy Ralston says the case is an example of why people need to be cautious and stay away from unfamiliar websites asking for money.

Comments

beatrice 2 years, 11 months ago

People do not deserve to be victims of crime, even if they do make themselves easy marks. The victim is never to blame.

If people want YOUR money before theypromise to give you theirs, it is most likely a scam. Too many people are trusting souls and get taken advantage of.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Can't she dispute the charge with her credit card company?

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Apparently some of the commenters here have the opinion that they themselves will never lose their intellectual abilities when they get older.

So it's just fine to take an Alzheimer patient's money, because he/she doesn't know what's going on?

(Actually, I do personally know of that happening!)

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

1) I know of two cases when a person in dementia was robbed. But I'll describe only one of them. This happened in 2000.

Unfortunately, I became neighbors with some ex-felons from Missouri when they purchased the mobile home across the street from mine. A short while later, another unfortunate event occurred when they also purchased the next mobile home across the street.

I didn't ever get to know them very well, but I did talk with them a few times. Enough to figure out what was going on, anyway.

I really don't know how they found Grandpa, but somehow they located him. Grandpa was obviously having severe problems with dementia, and I guess he really did believe these people were his grandchildren.

Grandpa lived out on a farm way out in the country all alone, and he loved it when people came to visit him, especially when his grandchildren thought enough of him to come visit and talk to him.

And there was a wonderful opportunity, and he could help! His grandchildren could buy a mobile home and live near him if he would loan them $4,000. It would be so wonderful to have his grandchildren living only a few miles away! So of course he loaned him the money.

Later, a couple more grandchildren showed up. I don't know what they told him, but somehow he could get more grandchildren if he loaned them $15,000 to buy the next mobile home too. So Grandpa did that.

Here's what the ex-felons did wrong, though. They got that all on paper. Anyway, Grandpa was wanting them to make some payments on the money like they said they would, but they never had any, and how are you doing, Grandpa?

I only saw Grandpa once. It was obvious to me that he had no clue what was going on. He sat in the pickup until they opened the door for him, then he followed them inside the mobile home that he had paid for.

At one point while they were living there, I walked into my living room and saw the most amazing sight. There were at least 5 or 6 police cars all over the place! It was so strange.

Well, the cops were just checking on things. They knew there was likely to be trouble when you've got some ex-felons from another state and one of them is facing an indictment for a methamphetamine case.

I knew all about that because a pregnant woman and her mother came knocking on my door begging for a ride to Olathe, and if she didn't get there she was going to be found guilty or something, this was quite an emergency for them. Oh, man! It was awful!

Well anyway, that was really an eye opener.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

2) Then, one of the grandparent's father stole a check from Grandpa, filled it out for $30,000, and tried to cash it. Well, the bank didn't go for that one, and so the grandchildren's father had to flee back to Missouri. I was told that Missouri won't ever extradite to Kansas except for murder cases, so that was all over and done with. It's amazing what all little tidbits you learn when you talk to ex-felons.

Then something really bad happened. Grandpa died.

After that, Grandpa's actual son found all the papers, and was, well, upset. His father had loaned out $19,000, and I don't think any of it had been repaid. And I'm sure he heard about the check for $30,000 also.

Well, so Grandpa's son got the law on his side and kicked them all out, except for one of them that actually did buy the $4,000 mobile home and made the payments.

Next thing, the ex-felons from Missouri broke into my mobile home, and I moved away.

I was amazed that I was actually able to get my mobile home sold.

I've never been back.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Correction, should read: Then, one of the grandchildren's father stole a check

tomatogrower 2 years, 11 months ago

Not alzheimers, but she didn't have experience enough to check in with a college advisor to get help. Perhaps someone desperate to improve her life, without the experience to understand how to do that. She was a victim; no one had a right to do that to her, and I hope they catch these people and throw them in prison.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

tomatogrower, the problem is that prosecution for a financial crime across a national boundary is extremely difficult, and in most cases, impossible.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

UNIKU, I certainly never said she had Alzheimer's.

Definition for: "for example": As an example; "take ribbon snakes, for example".

RoeDapple 2 years, 11 months ago

When I get my $865,000 from the Tanzanians I will do what I can to help her out.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

RoeDapple, I wish I had saved an email I sent once.

I replied to one of the spammers by offering to rewrite their spam letter using proper spelling and grammar for the very small fee of $10,000.

For some reason, I never heard from them.

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 11 months ago

Wow, the Garden City Telegram is cool!

You don't even have to register to comment!

Ewok79 2 years, 11 months ago

Cool I didn't know that. Ron your such a good troll.