Archive for Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Sen. Jerry Moran urges Boeing to transfer ownership of plant to attract industry

January 10, 2012

— U.S. Sen. Jerry Moran is urging The Boeing Co. to transfer its Wichita plant to a local or state development authority to help the city attract new industries.

Moran released a letter Tuesday to Boeing CEO James McNerney asking him to meet with state and local officials on the possibility of conveying the facility.

Boeing announced last week it was closing the Wichita plant by the end of 2013. The plant employs 2,160 workers.

Moran noted that Wichita has provided more than $3.5 billion in industrial revenue bonds since 1979 to finance the plant and granted $650 million in property tax abatements.

A Boeing spokesman told The Associated Press that conveying the property is "certainly an option" but that it's too soon to say what will happen with the plant.

Comments

Richard Heckler 3 years, 3 months ago

For a very large price = corp welfare!!!!!

jayhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

Why don't you buy the plant Merrill. I'm sure you can build a product that will solve all the problems of the world while turning a modest, yet not exorbitant profit. I'd invest, but then you would have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize profits so I'm certain you would not want my tainted money.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 3 years, 3 months ago

That was a really gratuitous and pointless comment, jay.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

Bozo, I offered you an olive branch a while back. You slapped it from my hand. Frankly, I could give a rat's arse what you think of my comments.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

Why are you posting under two similar, but different names?

As far as I know, it's probably a violation of the tos to have two different usernames.

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

My fault. Quite frankly, my computer skills are not that good. I signed up as one name on my computer and I inadvertently signed up using a similar name on my wife's computer. To be honest, I had not noticed the difference until you just now pointed it out to me. If I have broken any of the rules, I sincerely apologize. Though my computer skills are limited, as I said, I will try to figure out how to get my wife's computer in sync with mine. Again, I apologize for the confusion.

jafs 3 years, 3 months ago

Ah - that explains it.

I'm glad I mentioned it - it hadn't occurred to me that you were unaware of it.

pace 3 years, 3 months ago

We have put plenty of money in it. We should have a claim to some of the property if they took the money, it wasn't suppose to be a helping them move grant. Corporate welfare, they don't pay taxes here, and they probably won't where they are going. I never wanted to carry their water, Corporate welfare. Without welfare reform touching them.

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

Nice try, Jerry, but your efforts are akin to latching the barn door after the horses have escaped. Hopefully, the voters of Kansas will remember your failures when you are up for reelection.

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

Good call, TheSychopant:

Moran is just grandstanding. This hillbilly duffus actually "signed" that "Taxpayer Protection Pledge" generated by the equally hillbilly operation Americans for Tax Reform.

Jerry Moran ain't nothing.

However, it's the People of the state of Kansas who put this piece of fecal matter into the U.S. Senate, making them the "mother ship" where Moran's fecal matter came from, eh?

Bob Forer 3 years, 3 months ago

At least on a superficial level, most Kansans i have met, including those on the far right, are friendly people. Only problem is that some of them need to be disenfranchised of their right to vote.

Alceste 3 years, 3 months ago

"...They spend the first sixty years of their lives in a place which had been stuck in the eternal mud and dust and wrapped all around so tightly with the earth of a continent that it takes several decades for a new idea to filter through to the people and several more decades for them to decide whether or not the new idea (which is old then) is sinful or not. They spend their lives working for a living and living that living in the future--and then they come back after six months from Miami or Long Beach saying: Well, it's just fine there, but home's best--after all..."

hyperinflate 3 years, 3 months ago

What? Is Jerry Moran against the "creative destruction" of American capitalism?

jayhawklawrence 3 years, 3 months ago

I like what Jerry Moran is doing.

I don't know why he is getting criticized for trying to get something positive out of a bad situation.

We have to be able to adapt quickly to change because change is inevitable.

Orwell 3 years, 3 months ago

State control of a manufacturing facility… that's an interesting "free market" approach. I assume that would get the property off the tax rolls while the state decides what industrial interest gets to buy it for pennies on the dollar – likely with further tax abatement.

Ken Lewis 3 years, 3 months ago

Careful. Might want to consider the environmental condition of the property. Could be it is contaminated and Boeing would love to unload it on KS for a second screwing.