Archive for Tuesday, January 10, 2012

100 years ago: Kansas hotels must pass state inspection

January 10, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Jan. 10, 1912:

• "Everyone is rejoicing over the fine snow for sleighing. We are having the coldest weather we have had for seventeen years. It looks like the snow will stay on the ground for a long time."
  • "Every hotel in the state must be inspected by the county health officers before the first of March and every hotel must have a certificate issued by the Board of Health or cease to operate. Special orders are given by the department to see that the orders of the board abolishing the common drinking cup and the roller towel are complied with. Attention is also invited to the requirements that rope fire escapes and notices telling how they shall be used, be placed in each sleeping room in all hotels, above the ground floor."
  • "I. A. Williams arrived in Lawrence this morning and is here to make arrangements for the opening of his Coca Cola factory. The works will be opened up at 7 East Henry [currently Eighth] street in time for the opening of the summer trade. The machine will arrive soon and will be installed."
  • [Advertisement] "POSTUM is a pure food-drink made of the field grains, with a pleasing flavour not unlike high grade Java. Economy to one's purse is not the main reason for using Postum. It is absolutely free from ANY harmful substance, such as 'caffeine' (the drug in coffee) to which so much of the nervousness, biliousness and indigestion of today are due. Thousands of former coffee drinkers now use Postum because they know from experience the harm that coffee drinking causes. Boil it according to directions (that's easy) and it will become clear to you why -- 'There's a Reason.'"

Comments

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

The Coca Cola factory here in Lawrence has been mentioned in this column before, on January 1, 2012. http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/jan...

clipped from: http://start.cortera.com/company/research/k2k5suk9s/coca-cola/ Coca Cola 2330 Packer RD Lawrence, KS 66049-8900

I don't know anything about this company, but it appears on a web search.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 7 months ago

Clipped from Wikipedia, but is probably accurate since sources are cited:

Postum was a powdered roasted grain beverage sold by the Kraft Foods company as a coffee substitute. The caffeine-free beverage mix was created by Postum Cereal Company founder C. W. Post in 1895 and marketed as a healthful alternative to coffee.[1] (The Postum Cereal Company eventually became General Foods, which was bought by Kraft Foods.) Post was a student of John Harvey Kellogg, who believed caffeine to be unhealthy. Postum was made from wheat bran, wheat, molasses, and maltodextrin from corn. It was discontinued in 2007.[2][3]

[1] Mark Pendergrast (2000). Uncommon Grounds: The History of Coffee and How It Transformed Our World. Basic Books.

[2] Sara Israelsen-Hartley (1 January 2008). "Fans in withdrawal from coffee substitute Postum". Deseret Morning News.

[3] Taashi Rowe (22 January 2008). "Goodbye to Postum". Adventist News.

Sarah St. John 3 years, 7 months ago

Yep, there were a lot of upset people when Postum was discontinued.

I wasn't one of them, however!

I liked the first line today. I hope we will have some fine snow to rejoice over one of these days.... even though I don't own a sleigh.

Tee 3 years, 7 months ago

I own a sleigh. I just need something to pull it. If we ever figure that out, you can have a ride in it some day.

Sarah St. John 3 years, 7 months ago

Woo hoo! I think I see a horse in your future....

Sarah St. John 3 years, 7 months ago

Yes, Dr. Crumbine was against the practice of everyone using the same cup or dipper to drink out of a water barrel. He also banned the roller towel in public restrooms and led a crusade against spitting on sidewalks.

LadyJ 3 years, 7 months ago

I actually seem to remember that plant in East Lawrence. But I'm not 100 just yet. Anyone remember when it closed?

pace 3 years, 7 months ago

I have several of the old"don't spit on me" bricks. made in Kansas with Kansas clay. Lots of lives were saved by Dr. Crumbine and others promoting the radical idea of ending the common drinking cup.