Archive for Monday, January 9, 2012

Douglas County authorities investigating Topeka man’s death as a homicide

January 9, 2012, 10:38 a.m. Updated January 9, 2012, 3:28 p.m.

Officers with the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office and Topeka police Monday said they were investigating the death of a 39-year-old Topeka man as a homicide after his body was found Thursday in northwestern Douglas County.

Sheriff’s officials last week labeled it a suspicious death and identified the man as Corey Brown.

Corey M. Brown

Corey M. Brown

“Douglas County Sheriff’s detectives are actively working with the Topeka Police Department in the investigation,” said Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s spokesman. “Preliminary investigation indicates a firearm may have been involved with the crime. No further information is available at this time due to the ongoing investigation.”

Brown’s body was found just before 11 a.m. Thursday near the BNSF Railway tracks in northwestern Douglas County about a half-mile from the Shawnee County line.

According to published reports, Brown was reported missing last Tuesday in Topeka after his car and cellphone were found outside a Topeka restaurant. Brown was a manager at Hudson Liquor in Topeka, the scene of a Dec. 24 robbery and homicide.

Lewis did not release information Monday about where investigators believe the homicide occurred, citing the ongoing investigation.

Comments

ottawaway 2 years, 3 months ago

Well actually grizdad I took the time to investigate things that I felt I wanted to know about towns that are close to me. All the authorities in these towns try to deny the gang problems that are so already known to us. Franklin Co. has a few murder cases also that I'm sure that are also drug related. If your offended that I am a concerned citizen than so be it.

Jay Hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

You can get what ljworld calls their green version on cjonline for free. Why does it cost $8.10 for half the paper here?

Jay Hawk 2 years, 3 months ago

Way to go Ottaway...you are our hero now instead of Ockhams_razor....are you happy now? Lol

50YearResident 2 years, 3 months ago

I wish the Topeka thugs would quit dumping their bodies in Douglas County.

ottawaway 2 years, 3 months ago

I posted on the forums of Cjonline this morning at 8:06 am pretty much all the info that Ockhams_Razor has posted.So the only sleuthing he did came from what I had already dicovered. I started googling names around last night and found most of it. Funny when authorities know all this HOW was the guy and the other SCUM that he associates with still on the street. Most of the violence that has happened at this place could of been avoided. Were the authorities not keeping track of these people? Or were they????

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

Smitty, I am not, nor am I trying to be, "a whistleblower" and I am decidedly not accusing LPD or LJW of coverups and/or conspiracies. Those are your views, not mine.

This story at first blush appears to be that there was a crime of Topeka origins, where a body was found in Douglas County. Not a crime of immediate particular interest to people in Lawrence.

The LJW, like most other papers, has much less reporting resources (i.e. reporters) than they did only 3 or 4 years ago. They are spread very thin. But this is not the fault of the reporters, or the papers....this is the result of market forces and the fact so much news and advertising is now internet based.

I was just sharing with everyone what I learned.

The Pitch article indicates a number of Lawrence tie-ins. When I read of incidents involving this story that occurred within a couple of blocks of where I now live, I shuddered.

I understand that when a LJW reporter calls up the DGCO Sheriffs office, the Sheriffs office will typically give them squat nothing.... in part because the principal investigation isn't even occurring in DGCO.

I am just hoping that since there are DG CO tie-ins, that the LJW may now do some local hustling on some of the past activities of some of these individuals, and push-back to the LPD and others for additional information. That does not mean that LPD or Sheriffs office will now tell them squat. Nor does it say this story is their first news priority of the day.

But it is obvious from anyone reading the TCJ that there is a Monroe Lockhart, whom people are looking for, and nobody is talking about it. I suspect Monroe knows he is being looked for. So I wonder why the TPD isn't talking about it. And the story has other Lawrence tie-ins other than the location of the body and possible homicide.

deec 2 years, 3 months ago

"According to published reports, Brown’s body was reported missing last Tuesday..." How did they lose the body? Did it disappear from the morgue?

Bob Forer 2 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like several partners in crime involved. Perhaps drugs? I predict the cops unravel everything and name a "person of interest" soon.

smitty 2 years, 3 months ago

I love whistle blowers>>>> people who are smart enough and courageous enough to speak out. Thank you for connecting some of the dots. It takes time and commitment...

Thank you again for this connecting some of the dots. [Same way that the LPD cover ups and corruptions has exposed over the years]

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

Mr. Diepenbrock: I hope the articles above give you some Lawrence angles to check up on regarding this multi-county story. Relatives of Tywanne may have some observations. It would be interesting to learn if Monroe shows up in Lawrence PD files, of the LPD officers have any skinny on Lockhart or Gardenhire. What was the final disposition of the Gardenhire shooting?

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

You will run into another name in the Pitch article, Preston Gardenhire.

Preston appears in the LJW archives as shooting up "The Cross Town Tavern"

It is interesting that all these people have connections. The Pitch article, since they can write long features, is the reportage that ties all of these names together, and probably sheds some light into the activity that may have led to the death of the individual whose body was recently discovered in Douglas County.

I am guessing that Monroe had a passport, had some money stuck in a hole somewhere, and may no longer be in the states.

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

Now the real fascinating story is the Pitch article from 2004.

It tells the sad saga of a KU football player, who evidently led a very clean life, who was likely entrapped into a drug sting. Tywanne Aldridge

You will find mention of the name of Monroe Lockhart.

Read how Monroe Lockhart was perceived nearly 9 years ago by the TPD. Read about his repeated death threats to anyone else whom he thought might testify against him.

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

This Monroe Lockhart is now nowhere to be found, the the TPD and LPD don't even mention his name, although everyone around Topeka is asking where he is. Mo's Market remains closed.

According to an article in the Pitch, Monroe Lockhart and Corey Brown were close friends from the age of 10 years.

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 3 months ago

Lots of information to be had on this by sleuthing around a bit.

The same day this man's body was discovered, a car owned by another investor/tenant at the deceased's shopping center was found burned out. The owner of the car is one Monroe Lockhart, of Mo's Market.