High School Sports

High School Sports

Seabury boys lose ‘dogfight’ in Georgi Funtarov’s Seahawks debut

January 8, 2012

Georgi Funtarov scored 17 points in his Seabury Academy debut, but the Seahawks fell to St. James, 50-38, in high school boys basketball Saturday night at Seabury.

“It was a dogfight,” said Seabury coach Ashley Battles, whose team was tied with St. James 22-all at halftime.

Khadre Lane scored nine points, and Garrett Gillett added eight points for Seabury.

“The best player on the floor for us was Jesse May,” Battles said. “It’s strange. He scored zero points, and the guy he was guarding scored 19 points. But he really guarded him well. He did a great job. He really did.”

May led the Seahawks with 12 rebounds.

On Friday, Seabury (2-4) will host Wichita Word of Life.

“We’re looking forward to that one,” Battles said. “It will be the first time this year we’ve had everyone eligible to play.”

Comments

bballwizard 2 years, 9 months ago

I thought this team was the first or second best team in town

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

Haha its too bad Lew is not at BSA........... You dont seem to know what you are talking about.

dmb40fan 2 years, 9 months ago

I have seen all these players through the past two years and this summer, and Khadre is clearly the most talented and has the most potential to be the best player to come out of Lawrence possibly since the seperation of Lawrence High. Georgi is multi talented and his skills for a taller player exceed that of any post in the city. However, I would still rate Buffalomeat as the 2nd best in the city, followed closely by Georgi. As a team Seabury doesn't have the guns to play with LHS, but may be able to get by FSHS. In regards to the comment that Khadre is going to a school where he doesn't have to face competition, it's actually the opposite, his father is a well know lawyer, and education has ALWAYS been the forefront in their household, which I applaud them for.

producer 2 years, 9 months ago

I don't have a dog in the fight, and I can tell you that the hype is well deserved. I was at the Seabury vs St James game and I've seen Freestate and LHS this year.
Despite their record, St James has some talent and is good. St James' losses are to some of the better teams in the area (Miege, Ottawa, Sumner, & Hogan Prep (Hayden is good too). The McCullough kid is also very hard to guard because he just puts his head down and goes. You could tell Seabury was trying to learn how to play together without Diaz and with Funtarov, but it was pretty clear that when Diaz is back they will be one of the most talented teams in Kansas. I talked to a Seabury coach after the game and he said they just weren't ready for the junk defense that was thrown at them.
Right now, I would say FS & LHS play better together because they've been playing together for longer. But I think Seabury has the three best players in the city (with Buffalomeat and Pritchard close behind). Personally - if there is a choice to watch a game between BSA, FS or LHS - I will pick BSA every time this year.

producer 2 years, 9 months ago

I do love Buffalomeat's game, but Pritchard should play at a higher level in college. Once again - I don't hve a dog in the fight, but AAU coach or not, his team looked like the best coached team in Lawrence to me though. I was impressed with how they guarded and how they got good looks at the basket. There was a reason St James went to a junk defense.

SVHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Very poorly coached team. That being said this is probably the most over-hyped team out there. Bunch of kids who are scared of competing thats why they didnt go to LHS or FSHS.

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

How are they scared to compete? They are playing mainly 5a teams and better if they were afraid of competing they would have made thier schedule easier.

SVHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

They knew they couldnt compete at the 6a state level. Thats why they chose to go to the easy 1A kansas route. Plus many of these kids did not want to have to compete to make the varsity team at LHS or FSHS and wanted to play right away as froshmen and Soph.

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

They could compete at a 6A level. The players there could compete at any 6A level. They pay more than most any other athletes to go to school there... its not the easy route. And why would they want to play at the other schools? The TALENT is at seabury and the COACHING is at seabury. They dont want to go play for a coach who doesnt help them get to the next level of basketball.... They choose to go there because it was the better choice.

SVHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

obviously the talent isnt at BSA or they would be winning. Get a clue.

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

Its pretty clear that you have not been to see them play. They clearly have three of the top 5 players in the city. I would say that is talent.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 9 months ago

They play some of the best competition in the state. Get your facts right. I've watched Free State play this year, and they are simply not good at all.

slider88 2 years, 9 months ago

uniku must have something against BSA and coach battles. I can tell you first hand that this is the most talented team in the city. Talent nor coaching alone can make them a "team". And it is fact the fshs and BSA were to meet in a summer tournament game this past summer and not ONE fshs player/coach/parent showed up. The big schools are afraid to play little brother this year. BSA has scheduled up, playing mostly a 5A scheduled. It will take some time for all the parts to work together.....hopefully before they run out of season to play!

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

So UNIKU you are saying that they dont have any talent at BSA this year?

slider88 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahh.....guess you can come to the same logical conclusion those years that KU basketball has lost in the early rounds to the killer Bs

SVHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

Isnt this BSA team really winless?! I thought they had to forfet all their wins for cheating. That AAU coach of theirs needs to understand there are actually rules in who you can and can not play.

slider88 2 years, 9 months ago

Were you cut from his team in a former life?! You need to check the facts. Team is not nor should they be winless. There is no cheating. Everyone needs to stop railing on high school athletes who are working hard!

SVHawk 2 years, 9 months ago

No I played and was successful. You need to check your facts they did indeed have to forfiet games because your midget AAU coach doesnt know the rules of high school athletics.

slider88 2 years, 9 months ago

Evidently bitterness runs deep if you have to resort to name calling......yes they had to forfeit games....no it wasn't for cheating.....have you ever made a mistake? Done discussing on my end.

Mclovin69 2 years, 9 months ago

Yes they did have to forfiet some games. But it was not for cheating. There was a mistake with one of the players physicals it was not intentional and it was not meant to be cheating in any way. it was a simple mistake.