Archive for Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kansas Department of Health and Environment promotes walking through program

January 3, 2012

— The Kansas Department of Health and Environment is promoting a free program to help people who want to do more walking for exercise in 2012.

The Walk with Ease program is a six-week offering that teaches participants how much they should walk and how to increase their pace and endurance.

Health department officials are working with the Arthritis Foundation, and people can register for the free program on the health department’s arthritis website.

KDHE Secretary Robert Moser says walking regularly can ease problems associated with arthritis.

The program is designed for anyone who wants to walk more. Walking can help people manage their weight and reduce their risks for heart disease and diabetes.

Comments

budman 2 years, 7 months ago

Well I'm glad our tax dollars are well spent when the bureaucrats can come up with something as magnificent as this.

runner21 2 years, 7 months ago

The Bureaucrats did not come up with this program. This was developed by the Arthritis Foundation.

begin60 2 years, 7 months ago

It would be fantastic to feel safe enough to walk the streets of Lawrence, as I always have been able to enjoy walking everywhere else I've lived. It can be a form of meditation, and it certainly promotes good health. There's too many wackos and street harassers in Douglas County though. They are clueless, and I'm thoughtful--not a good combination.

budman 2 years, 7 months ago

I completely agree. I've felt uneasier and even threatened walking around even in some of the nice parts of town.

It was somewhere around mid-october last year when I was walking by South Park to see a large group of hobos who had set up camp and were occupying the park. These people seemed like they had nothing better to do all day but camp in the park, holding up their homeless signs with incoherent messages and yelling gibberish at passerbys.

Their hygiene was horrendous as from the smell you could infer they had not bathed in months, and I doubt they had any form of basic sanitation in their squatters village. I even heard a few got themselves arrested during their occupation.

budman 2 years, 7 months ago

I couldn't bare to walk from my house to downtown with this hoard occupying the park. I took to my car from then on and gained significant pounds.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 7 months ago

Busman, get a life. This is an example of the government doing something good that can make a difference in people's lives. Why do people have to complain about good positive things?

1julie1 2 years, 7 months ago

A link to the Walk with Ease program would have been helpful with this story. Going to the home page of the Kansas Department of Health and Environment doesn't do any good. There's no mention of the program there.

runner21 2 years, 7 months ago