Archive for Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Bomb squad removes object from Lawrence woman’s deck

January 3, 2012


Lawrence police called in a bomb squad from Leavenworth County to remove an object from a Lawrence woman’s deck Saturday morning.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a police spokesman, said the woman who lives at Gaslight Village Mobile Home Park, 1900 W. 31st St., called police about 7:30 a.m. Saturday when she found the object.

Sarna said officers arrived and then called in the bomb squad, which removed the object.

“We’re always very cautious in case it was some type of improvised device,” Sarna said.

No one was injured. He said the device would be examined further as part of the investigation. Police have not identified any suspects.


UNIKU 2 years, 3 months ago

I see the LE hatin', rantin' loons are back from holiday break....oh well, it was nice while it lasted....


wolflover1969 2 years, 3 months ago

Good question?

Why was this not reported with other New Years Eves events?

I live a couple spaces down and was just coming back from camping at jellystone, and was directed to keep kids inside. They never once let on to what was going on. Heard via another neighbor that it was a bomb of some sort. Spent 3 days looking at LJWORLD to get more information, yet never saw anything. We have some good pictures of cop cars and bomb truck, glad to see this paper finally reporting it!


FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 3 months ago

IEDs at Gaslight? Females wrestling at burrito joint.

Sounds like a typical day in a Liberal town.


Matthew Fowler 2 years, 3 months ago

I had to look twice at that byline, lol


just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years, 3 months ago

This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of the usage agreement.


smitty 2 years, 3 months ago

Here's how the LPD responded to the public......

It was a busy New Year's night for Lawrence Police, as officers responded to fights, domestic disturbances and noise complaints.

But nothing serious, said Sgt. Kirk Fultz.

"It was one of the busiest (New Year's) ever," he said. "It was nothing big, just enough to keep us busy."

One of the larger incidents involved two fights that broke out, about an hour apart, in the 3100 block of Iowa. Ten police units responded to the first incident around 3 a.m. and broke up a fight. Officers returned about 3:45 a.m. to settle down another fight in the same general area.


smitty 2 years, 3 months ago

better later than not reporting it with the N Y Eve events accomplished..... what?...


Commenting has been disabled for this item.