Archive for Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Two men receive lengthy prison sentences related to 2010 drug raid east of Lawrence

February 29, 2012

A federal judge has sentenced two Lawrence men to serve lengthy prison sentences for their role in making counterfeit money and trafficking drugs.

Donald Milton Steele, 52, was sentenced to a 25-year prison sentence, and Randy J. Dyke, 52, received a sentence to serve 19 years and six months, said Jim Cross, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom. U.S. District Judge John Lungstrum handled the case.

The men were charged following a 2010 raid on a house east of Lawrence. Both men were convicted last July of six counts total, including possession with intent to distribute more than 50 grams of methamphetamine.

During a trial, federal prosecutors accused Steele of developing a plan in 2009 to pay for a large shipment of marijuana with counterfeit money, and prosecutors said he and Dyke set up a house he owned in Topeka for the counterfeiting.

Steele provided stolen checkbooks, identification documents and credit cards. The checks were used to purchase equipment for the operations, and in February 2010 Dyke passed what he believed to be one of the counterfeit bills at Harper Corner Liquor, 2200 Harper St.

Prosecutors said also that month Steele directed Dyke and another man to retrieve $10,000 in counterfeit money and more than 50 grams of methamphetamine that Steele and Dyke had conspired to have manufactured from the Topeka house.

On Feb. 17, 2010, authorities raided Steele’s residence, 1706 N. 1500 Road. The property was also home to All Seasons Tree Service, a business Steele owned. After the raid, Steele’s family sold the property, which contained a house, as well as dozens of old cars and trucks.

Robert D. Billinger, of Missouri, pleaded guilty to a conspiracy charge last June, and Anthony Wayne Sims, also of Lawrence, pleaded guilty to the same conspiracy count last October. Kimberly M. Cline, of Lawrence, also pleaded guilty to fraud in June in connection with the case.

Comments

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 9 months ago

But the relatives told us everyone was innocent! How could this be?

Flap Doodle 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm not sure that paying bad dudes with counterfeit money is a wise business plan.

SDyke85 2 years, 9 months ago

MAY GOD BE WITH THIS FAMILY WHILE EVERYONE MAKES A CHOICE TO TRASH AGIANST THEM....Yes I am Shannon Dyke. I am proud of whom I am and weather or not you guys want to make your own choices you WILL NEVER break the FAITH the Lord has given my family or myself.....We love our family NO MATTER WHAT. everyone deserves love and as for you guys judging us I am sorry that you feel the need to judge the familys as well as the men that were mentioned here. I PRAY THAT GOD OPENS YOUR EYES AND JUDGE YOU WITH THE SAME MEASURE THAT YOU HAVE JUDGED US!!!!!!!!!!! I pray that when this happens in your life you feel the pain that you have inflicted with your nasty comments you make GOOD BYE and remember God is the only person that can judge NONE OF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kawrivercrow 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, seeing as how you brought religion into it: If they're guilty of cooking/selling meth, then I hope they burn in hell. How many lives does a meth cook ruin for nothing but festering greed?

Every one deserves a fair trial. They do not deserve love.

cnvct80 2 years, 9 months ago

kawrivercrow just letting you know these men had nothing to do with the cooking of the meth i sat there and listened to the judge said that they were given a supply list from a federal agent and because they baught it they were sent to prison you say everyone deserves a fair trail well they didn't get one the district attorny stated that they were looking for a case to get LOW LIFE criminals off the street when they statred there sting opperation sent in the undercover cop they did not find what they were looking for so because they were already in as undercover they had to make it up the feds decided on the meth and the money they provided the list needed the cook the money everything so where was there fair trail.. And another thing these men got 20 and 25 years just so everybody knows they both had 6 charges not just 1 one of these guys got 5 years for the meth 5 years for selling lortab (which was not the case the under cover told him he had a bad back waiting to se the dr and he gave it to him) 5 years for the spending a real $50 at the store (but because he thought it was fake )and almost 5 years for the last 3 charges so there was not a fair trial for you to say they do not deserve love i feel for you and your family and i hope they give you unconditional love nobody in this world is perfect but you still need to know that your loved

Crazy_Larry 2 years, 9 months ago

Kansas' own version of the Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q6G_W...

Jayhawker07 2 years, 9 months ago

So if you are going to sell someone drugs. You go and meet them to sell the drugs. When you meet them and they pull a gun on you and steal your drugs. Now let me get this straight. So if they steal your drugs you can call the cops and file charges against them for holding you up with a weapon and stealing your stash? Is that the way the system works? So was the guy that admitted to selling the drugs, was he charged with an admitted crime?

Sorry, this page just made me think of another incident that was just in the paper.

juma 2 years, 9 months ago

shannon, i understand your love for your family BUT have you thought about the harm the drugs, meth, causes to other families? it is wrong, illegal and immoral what your family did. love them as you want but don't act religious and pious. by the way .. the context of weather should have been spelled ' whether '

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 9 months ago

was that "weather" comment really necessary? She just lost someone close to her for a real long time. don't act so uppity by correcting a simple mistake in grammar.

patkindle 2 years, 9 months ago

they need a lawyer like the ku basketball player had the fans pay for

SDyke85 2 years, 9 months ago

I have thought about that as well and you know what I know my dad and if you look there was clearly other people that were involved.....I dont need somebody to correct my spelling I am sorry but seriously were you guys involved? did you know any of these guys personally? did you know who they where at all? no you dont all you know is what they choose to put on here and personally with me and the rest of my sisters and my brother that do have somebody we care about involved so we know slightly more of the facts than what everyone posting up here does....and if you guys cant see that the seriously open your eyes. The only stuff that gets printed to to start a bunch of crap and its NOT the whole thing, NOT all of the facts are out there and NOT ALL of the facts are online.....so before you guys condemn people maybe you should get ALL of the facts. Everyone knows that sometimes people are at the wrong place at the wrong time, it happens its part of life.

cnvct80 2 years, 9 months ago

SDYKE the transcripts are free they can get them just like everybody else if they dont know where to get them i will be glad to give them up all they need to do is ask

Liberty275 2 years, 9 months ago

Seems a tad harsh. A rapist just got his freedom after part of 25 years.. How can our justice system equate rape with printing money and conspiring to sell dope? Sure, the second is bad, but the first was a violet attack against a human.

Something else must be going on I don't know about. You Lawrecers are a clickish bunch. One of you spill the beans for us out-of-towners.

somebodynew 2 years, 9 months ago

Liberty - part of the explanation is that these are Federal Charges and Federal sentencing. The rape was probably State charges. There is a big difference in time sentenced between the two for most crimes.

Secondly, despite SDyke's claims, none of these people were "sunday school teachers" mistakenly caught up in something. Unlike some on here, I do know a couple of these people and have dealt with them in the past, so I am not just spouting off with no clue. Their past history (including all the things they got away with) and criminal history also played a role in what sentence they got.

Shoud SDyke love them and hope the best for them, absolutely. Should the rest of us, not so much. Personally I am glad to see them gone so they can't hurt any more people.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 9 months ago

Either way, it's producing drugs vs. rape...they don't even compare

cnvct80 2 years, 9 months ago

Randy Dyke is an alcoholic not a drug addict and these are made up charges by the feds so yes you are spouting out the mouth but thats ok its freedom of speech but you should be careful the feds can get you just because you think something. and you need to look up the past history it has nothing to do with why he went to prison

Boston_Corbett 2 years, 9 months ago

"i pray that when this happens in your life you feel the pain that you have inflicted with your nasty comments you make. . ."

I'm always intrigued when people talk all churchy to me spewing pretty decidedly non-churchy sentiments.

eotw33 2 years, 9 months ago

I hate it when I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time and accidently manufacture meth and fake money to buy a semi full of pot. I really need to start being careful

Liberty275 2 years, 9 months ago

I accidentally manufactured chlorine gas before my wife yelled at me for mixing bleach and ammonia to clean the deck.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 9 months ago

Checking the record closely, it could be pointed out that these guys never manufactured meth, nor had the experience or knowledge. The "cook" was an invented person. The formula and shopping list were provided by the government, not the accused. The Meth seized came from the Douglas County evidence locker. The counterfeiter was also the federal government's confidential informant, who brought the counterfeit currency with him. Dykes and Steele entered into conversation with the government guys, told someone to deliver a gallon of solvent to the house in Topeka, and traded the non-existent "cook" a shotgun as barter for services never rendered.. Stupid, naive, gullible, willing to join in the plot, they were. Founders of the plot, counterfeiters, and manufacturers of methamphetamine they were not. Those things were provided by the government. The record is clear on those issues, and should be considered while the gossip continues.

somebodynew 2 years, 9 months ago

Well I would like to answer some of that, but don't want to get 'disappeared' for violation of TOS.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 9 months ago

The information above was confirmed yesterday at the sentencing hearing by the Prosecutor. Not much to answer, except maybe you don't want to hear it.

gatekeeper 2 years, 9 months ago

Really, who cares if they cooked the meth themselves? They were willing to get involved with "the plot".

If someone came up to me and asked if I wanted to get involved with making meth, the answer is no. It's not about being stupid, naive, gullible, etc... They were happy to get involved in the meth business. There was obviously a reason the govt targeted them. They don't just make those offers to anyone and everyone.

I had a loved one (graduated magna cum laude, owned her own business) who got involved with meth because of her boyfriend. It took only a couple of years until she was a total wreck, lost her business, house and hit rock bottom. Luckily she finally overcame the addiction, but was never the same person again. She developed a very rare form of cancer a few short years later and I can't help but believe the chemicals she injested from the meth were the cause. Yes, she chose to try it, but scumbags like Dykes and Steele help create the drug. No drug, no people to get try it and get hooked on it.

They chose to get involved with something that kills people. They obviously valued money over people's lives. They can ponder that while they sit in jail.

kansanbygrace 2 years, 9 months ago

It only matters if you look at justice as "in for a penny, in for a pound." In that case, moonshiners and pharmaceutical abusers would be locked up for 25 years, too.
That's not happening. The enormous expense of setting up this whole thing could have been used to eliminate some of the scores of meth labs already/still here. We're no better off for their setting up an easy target, rather than going after active criminals.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

The LJW needs a disclaimer for relatives of local scumbags and criminals. Nobody is convinced that your relative is a 'nice guy' or that he was just a victim of the circumstances. Your time would be better spent helping them pack for their stay at the concrete motel. These guys weren't just criminals, they were stupid criminals. Hopefully they move somewhere else upon their release from prison.

Cindy Yulich 2 years, 9 months ago

None2 got it right:

"If you truly have a belief in God, then I suggest you consider praying for those whose lives are ruined by drug addiction, not the ones who sell drugs. The addicts are the ones who need prayers."

irieart 2 years, 9 months ago

I have known Donnie since 1975, went to high school with him, and from what I have heard from friends who were closer to him than I, (I had lost touch with him since around '85) that this has more to do with over-zealous lawmen, trumped up charges and Donnie's grandiose ideas than actual crime. 25 years? Sounds a little extreme to me,, Donnie always had get-rich-quick schemes when he was younger, looks like this one went way south. I seriously doubt he was manufacturing meth, and all but certain wasn't involved that heavily in counterfeiting. I wish him and the others peace while they are incarcerated.

SDyke85 2 years, 9 months ago

well if you all claim to know the facts then here is the perfect fact for you....

My dad was in trial and guess what the JUDGE said he was innocent and said a number of times that he messed up with the sentencing my dad has never done drugs before in his life he is by all means not perfect. However it was proven in facts with hard evidence that he really is innocent.... Know the facts before you start with the crap again I am done with this website its just people wanting to get a rise out of people. Maybe you guys really should find out everything before you think you know it all Good Bye and may God be with you all.

Jayhawk_4_Life 2 years, 9 months ago

I will pray for your ability to attain a life.

irieart 2 years, 9 months ago

SDyke, who are you talking to? I know you're upset, your father is going to prison. But honestly, if he IS innocent, his time in the big house will be short, right? I personally don't think any involved are totally innocent, but I think the sentence was a bit heavy, esp. in Donnie's case.

irieart 2 years, 9 months ago

Like I said, I have known Donnie for a long time, he is really not a bad guy, he was always quick to help if you were in need, and was generous to a fault, and he could be a charmer. But more often then not his desire for easy money clouded his thinking. I still find it hard to believe he had anything to do with the manufacture of meth or counterfeiting, that would be too much work.

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

Lawrence needs to fumigate these losers. Send them to Topeka or Wichita. It would go a long way to having a decent community.

jonas_opines 2 years, 9 months ago

Extreme violations of Internet Forum Rule Alpha detected.

"Nothing good ever comes from posting on threads that you have a personal connection to. Nothing good ever comes from family members or friends posting in defense of their relatives."

JackMcKee 2 years, 9 months ago

I've had numerous business dealings with this type of Lawrence resident. The type that thinks they have the system figured out and that they are a heck of lot smarter than they actually are. To say they are a waste of air is giving them way too much credit. They contribute nothing of value to their community. They are your typical dumb criminals. Who in their right mind tries to use ex-cons as slaves labor , then tries to act like some kind of Saint? What kind of moron tries to buy weed with bad counterfeit currency? How do people this dumb manage to accumulate enough money to own two houses? Then you have their relatives on the local paper's website making even bigger fools out of the entire lot. This surreal episode belongs on America's Dumbest Criminals.

classclown 2 years, 9 months ago

My favorite part so far is the statement about the judge saying the defendant is innocent yet mistakenly sentencing him to prison anyway.

Those crazy facts...

Deja Coffin 2 years, 9 months ago

Just commenting on this real fast so I can easily come back and read all the comments while my cupcakes are baking!

RoeDapple 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, classclown, that's where I left off when this article came out. There ain't a judge out there who will publicly tell you you're innocent then pass sentence on you. The BS was smelling so bad I couldn't comment at the time. Funny thing about folks who are truth challenged, if they repeat the lie often enough they even start believing it themselves.

focusonlaw 2 years, 7 months ago

Some of these postings are from the heart, some not. Most are founded in rumor and second-guessing, however none of the negative comments come from people who really knew Scooter. It really didn't matter if you were a millionaire or scratching in the dirt, Don was always there to help. Some say it was for a nefarious reason, I know different. I won't be able to clear his name in this forum nor do I presume to do so, as there are some that claim to know all and spew their venom as if fact. We all know the type. That aside, Don was an Eagle Scout; he had hopes of 'making it big' some day as most of us do. He was trusting and gullible, and yet would be reluctant to take advice from family to avoid people that were on the 'other' side of the law. At some point, an individual from North Lawrence was being investigated by the Federal Government and correctly so. Seems he (the North Lawrence individual) was wanting to print up counterfeit bills. He was caught and was squeezed (threat of 25 years incarceration) unless he coughed up someone of interest. It was suggested to him that Don would be a prime candidate. Since this (North Lawrence) person had been acquainted with Don for over 20 years and knew of his ongoing fight with the Ordinance Enforcement officer for Lawrence he correctly assumed that he had leverage to provide Federal authorities with enough information to extract himself from his fix. He was correct. The entire process was quick to complete. Don was encouraged to 'merely rent his house in Topeka' to some individuals who had been introduced by this North Lawrence person. From there it was easy. Don has always had a messy yard; an easy target in an affluent community. Secondly, many of his prize cars had been hauled off by the City of Lawrence including a1970 454 Chevy Monte Carlo, all of which made someone happy. This had been Don's retirement. A return of any of them would be a Godsend. He had accrued these vehicles for over 30 years only to have them taken under the auspices of ordinance violations. Following that effort, it was determined that most people would easily accept a drug situation at Don's house due to its accumulation of clutter. However, all drugs were provided by the Lawrence Police Department from their evidence locker. It is public record. There was no drug lab. Jeez, do I have to get the crayons out? So how does this turn into a 25 year sentence you ask. I encourage you to dig a little deeper. Who could have possibly returned one of his prize cars from the Police impound lot that had been seized? And who but a trusted friend of 20 years could grease the wheels for Don's demise? Like I said, I won't convince anyone of Don's innocence, but if you want to respond to this, I would suggest you read the court's transcript. Don will be serving 25 years. The North Lawrence chap has been freed as a result of his cooperation. The Lawrence PD has been praised for closing down a drug lab.