Archive for Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Former wife of ex-KU official seeks judgment

February 29, 2012

— The former wife of the highest-ranking official caught in a ticket scalping scandal at Kansas University has asked a federal judge to rule in her favor in the civil lawsuit filed by the government over assets.

A court filing Tuesday by Mary Jean Kirtland seeks a summary judgment, arguing she did not participate in the scheme or receive property deriving from it. Her ex-husband, Ben Kirtland was the associate athletic director in charge of development.

Her filing argues the government wants to enforce a criminal restitution judgment against an innocent spouse and to set aside the property settlement in her divorce.

The government's lawsuit against the Kirtlands comes as prosecutors pursue assets from key athletic department officials who stole more than $2 million worth of football and basketball season tickets.

Comments

Steve Swaggerty 2 years, 9 months ago

Let me get this straight. Ms. Kirtland is saying "she did not participate in the scheme or receive property deriving from it" Is she serious? How stupid does she think people are.? Where did she think the extra money came from? Having been married for over 30 years I find it verrry difficult to believe that a wife wouldn't know about such a large amount of money. Sounds like a bitter, vindictive woman who was satisfied with everything she had until her "SUGAR DADDY" went to prison.

jesse499 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds normal to me doesn't know how or where it comes from as long as it keeps coming.But when it stops!

missmagoo 2 years, 9 months ago

You're completely wrong here. I am not all involved in our finances. We have an investment manager, an accountant, and my husband takes care of all of that. We don't live paycheck to paycheck, as the Kirtland's probably didn't either.. so if I wanted to know how much was in my checking account, I could probably find out.. but as for the other stuff, I go off what my husband tells me. He makes the money and is good with management, so I stay hands off.

KEITHMILES05 2 years, 9 months ago

The legacy of Lew just continues. She should not get any of the money just for being stupid being marrried to a crook. Her judgement surely is called into question.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like she got divorced only to protect the I'll gotten gain from criminal activity. I thought only lawyers could profit from crime...

NY152 2 years, 9 months ago

I feel sorry for her. She is probably like my Mother. What ever my Father said she believed.