Archive for Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Case focuses on if ATF targeted blacks

February 29, 2012

— A judge in Wichita has granted more time for motions over a federal firearms sting that lawyers for some of the defendants claim was racially motivated.

At least 43 of 51 people facing federal charges from the sting operation by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are black. Defense lawyers are seeking to have indictments dropped, arguing the investigation targeted African-American men.

U.S. District Judge Monti Belot had planned to hear evidence Tuesday. Instead, he gave attorneys a week to file motions on whether defense lawyers may question two federal agents.

The government argues the claim of a racially motivated prosecution is baseless. Defense lawyers note the ATF’s bogus pawn shop was located in a neighborhood with one of the city’s highest concentrations of African-Americans.

Comments

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

I'll put my "Liberalist" hat on. Let's see...."rasists"! Koch funded ATF and Kansas is full of "Land of Bigots"! The ghost of Tiller will probably do something to....uncovering.. I'm sorry...(I couldn't has appologized with my "Liberalist" hat on) I just can't think of anything more "hateful" to say...it must be my genetics. I hope and change this post is not too "off tangent"

mustrun80 2 years, 1 month ago

Hey - no libs to help out Gammy on this one? Come on let's hear it...

Gotland 2 years, 1 month ago

Maybe Caucasians aren’t pulling their weight in committing crimes. We need affirmative action for criminal organizations.

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree. The ATF should set-up their sting ops in more white, affluent neighborhoods---just 'cause. rolling eyes

mustrun80 2 years, 1 month ago

What we really need is Crime Diversity Czar. His/Her job would be to make sure law enforcement has quotas for criminals. They can only bust say, I don't know, 20% of each race - no more no less - you know so it's equal and not racist. If they reach their quota for blacks in KCMO east of troost - they then have to go to the Plaza area and just make up reasons to arrest other races.

Wew, I feel so good about myself now!

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

Criminals are "color" coded now? huh. What will they think of next.

oldbaldguy 2 years, 1 month ago

If it takes illegal guns off the streets of NE Wichita its a good thing. Once when we were attending Special Olympics at WSU, a shooting occured on the street by Cessna Stadium. The folks who live there deserve a safe neighborhood.

jaywalker 2 years, 1 month ago

Right, gram. Everyone knows that to catch criminals we first need to be "fair." Now, if that bogus pawn shop was set up in the most affluent section of Wichita there'd be no cause to squawk. It would be asinine and result in few, if any, arrests, but at least we wouldn't have to hear about how racist it was.

Just when you think things couldn't get any more ridiculous......

grammaddy 2 years, 1 month ago

43 of 51.Sting operation conducted at a bogus pawn shop in a predominantly African-American neighborhood. I'd say these facts are going to bury them.