Archive for Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Deserting the arts

February 28, 2012

When Gov. Sam Brownback visited with Journal-World staff members before the start of the current legislative session, he said he planned to revisit the issue of state funding for the Kansas Arts Commission, which he used a veto to cut out of the budget last year.

It was an encouraging sign, but it now appears that the steps the governor has proposed fall short of putting the Arts Commission back on even a marginally solid footing.

Brownback’s budget included $200,000, drawn from state gaming revenue, to fund the combined efforts of the Kansas Arts Commission and the Kansas Film Commission, both of which would be under the Department of Commerce. The Film Commission had previously received $110,000 in state funding, supposedly leaving only $90,000 for the Arts Commission. That’s far less than the $689,000 Brownback vetoed last year and falls far short of supporting the basic needs of the Arts Commission.

The most tangible loss the state suffered as a result of the governor’s veto was about $1.3 million from the National Endowment for the Arts. The national group determined that Kansas wasn’t eligible for matching funds because it no longer had a state-supported arts agency. In fact, Kansas is the only state in the nation in that situation.

The most important part of any action concerning the Kansas Arts Commission should be to restore the agency to the point it would qualify for federal funding — some of which was contributed by Kansas residents but now is going to other states. Brownback and his staff said last year that they believed the state still would be eligible for NEA funds despite the vetoed funding. It was not. The first thing the governor’s office should have done this year is find out what Kansas needed to do to requalify for federal funding. Senate President Steve Morris said last week that the governor’s funding proposal would not bring back the federal dollars, and the governor’s office has done nothing to dispute that claim.

Last week, the Kansas House approved legislation that would add an arts checkoff to the state income tax form. It would be one of five checkoffs competing for funding that has been declining overall for the last five years. That is not the answer. The state also plans to sell license plates to raise money for the arts, but as a representative of the independent Kansas Citizens for the Arts pointed out, license plates and tax checkoffs are fund-raising efforts, not public funding. It’s also worth considering how many Kansans will want to donate, either through a checkoff or license-plate purchase, to a state arts agency that is so underfunded that it lacks the organization to use those donations well.

The governor reportedly said in a press conference last week that he wants Kansas to be a center for prairie art. It’s not clear exactly what the governor has in mind, but his funding plan certainly will leave the Kansas arts community stranded in a no man’s land every bit as desolate as the most barren piece of Kansas prairie.

Comments

Liberty275 2 years, 1 month ago

Want to support the arts? Buy art, go see a play, Take your significant other to see some local. bands. By sculpture from local artists instead of schlock garbage from walmart. I'm watching the pieces made by a young woman right now and when I see the one I want, I'll buy it.

Do you really need to take my money to support the arts when I'm already supporting it in a far greater way than would be through money taken from me via taxes? I really have no desire to allow illiterate bureaucrats decide which art my money (that I work for) supports.

Want to be an artist? Get away from the state trough and create.

Agnostick 2 years, 1 month ago

Some people just love on the pee-pee... don't they?

Was it a "crucifix"? Or was it a piece of wood and plastic cut into a particular shape?

There's a photo I've heard about, making the rounds--I myself have not seen it. But it points out that the same people who are getting bent out of shape about the burning of a stack of paper would have no qualms about burning a woman's face with a splash of acid. And think of how much we hate those extremists, those terrorists that are shooting and killing our soldiers because we ( rightfully, IMHO! ) burned a paltry few stacks of paper.

Why should they just suck it up about their papers.... while you get all hot and bothered about the wooden sticks in the pee-pee jar?

To a (currently) lesser degree, it is that same emotion... that same motivation.... that springs up every time someone whines about the pee-pee in the jar.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 1 month ago

A crucifix in urine is art. Brownback cuts off all funding for the arts. Whenever things swing too far one way, they tend to swing back too far the other. If you are appalled by Brownback's approach to the arts, I hope you were equally appalled when the crucifix was swimming in urine.

mustrun80 2 years, 1 month ago

"That’s far less than the $689,000 Brownback vetoed last year and falls far short of supporting the basic needs of the Arts Commission."

"needs"?

My house just isn't the same without art - I can't afford to buy it, life is worth less now. I need it and somebody should provide it for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

Dogs playing poker would have looked good in my pool room. But, I didn't have enough disposable income to purchase this "Art" piece. So, I am going to have to do without.

lunacydetector 2 years, 1 month ago

....no funding for the public killing of chickens in the name of art...which now brings this whole funding argument full circle

nugget 2 years, 1 month ago

Defunding the Arts Commission was just another diversionary game. Take a pittance that made real contributions to the state economy and hold it up as a trophy to the religious conservative right while dipping your other hand deeply into the corporate coffers. The KAC budget was pennies in petty cash compared to the waste Brownback is spending rewarding corporations, phony unqualified hires to reward his church constituents and the like. For the inevitable whining from the right that this was all spent on eastern Kansas liberals I'd point out that much of this money was destined for far Western Kansas small towns for hosting concerts, plays and the like. Even the clearly conservative Lawrence Journal World knows this is all wrong. Shame on you, Brownback.

Paul R Getto 2 years, 1 month ago

Art is for wimps. Muscular Sam and his strange little businessman-jesus want no part of it.

art_and_science 2 years, 1 month ago

It's not the first time he's mentioned that he wants Kansas artists to produce "prairie art." He has a general misunderstanding of what art is, what artists do, and of how funding a diversity of artists and art programming in the state can only benefit Kansas. It doesn't come as a surprise that he is "revisiting" the funding issue in a way that does not benefit the arts. It is also no surprise that he would intentionally refuse federal funding of the arts. It's time to start learning to live without federal funding, he says.