Archive for Tuesday, February 28, 2012

C Jay back for centennial celebration of the Jayhawk

February 28, 2012

The Centennial Jay, or C Jay, is presented to the Allen Fieldhouse crowd during a timeout in the first half of the KU vs. MU men's basketball game on Saturday, Feb. 25. The mascot from 1912 is complete with shoes “for kicking opponents.”

Henry Maloy would certainly approve.

The cartoonist for the University Daily Kansan in 1912 created the first official visual depiction of the Jayhawk, a smiling, big-beaked, spindly-legged design complete with shoes “for kicking opponents, of course,” according to an online university history of all things Jayhawk.

And on Saturday, Maloy’s creation sprang to life at the Kansas-Missouri game. Centennial Jay (or just C Jay for short) joined Big Jay and Baby Jay as Kansas University’s third mascot.

Maloy’s Jayhawk itself lasted until 1920, when it was replaced by a more dour and more birdlike creation sitting atop the letters “KU.”

The mascot won’t be a permanent addition to KU’s mascot lineup, though. Jim Marchiony, KU associate athletic director, said C Jay will only be around for this year.

“It’s something to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Jayhawk,” he said.

Kansas Athletics, the Kansas Memorial Unions and the KU Alumni Association are involved in determining how the new mascot will be used, he said.

The current plan calls for C Jay to flutter around at various special events and other occasions throughout the year.

Comments

Lee Eldridge 2 years, 1 month ago

That is awesome! My daughter's favorite of all the Jayhawks.

blindrabbit 2 years, 1 month ago

Bring em all (all versions) back for the games; if too many, rotate the retired ones to serve 2 or 3 times a year (each) to work along the current Jay. Agree, 1912 is the best!

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 1 month ago

I also think C Jay is the best if all C Jays. Typically, the athletic department has made very stupid decisions, but this one of the worst. C Jay should go where he is seen by a lot of people year round. I don't quite know where, but some place where he could be seen by tourists who don't necessarily go up to KU itself. And get rid of those KU people who make choices like these, NOW! Who made this decision, by name?

tir 2 years, 1 month ago

Andy, could you please ask if the LJW will do a poll on who's in favor of keeping C Jay permanently, so hopefully the almighty Athletic Corp. would see it and change their minds? He's the original Jayhawk! He deserves to stay!

OldGoldLegs 2 years, 1 month ago

I fall squarely into the "keep him around for all time" camp. But then again, my bias is fairly longstanding. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G811S...

whats_going_on 2 years, 1 month ago

Why spend that much money on the costume only to use for one year. Keep him around, I LOVE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 1 month ago

How much money did they spend on that mascot costume?

Getaroom 2 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely perfect! Love him, keep him around, even off and on sometimes would be good!

Sarah St. John 2 years, 1 month ago

Ditto. He's been my very favorite Jayhawk forever. Cute cute cute. (But fully able to kick opponents, as advertised.)

littlexav 2 years, 1 month ago

Ah! This guy was my favorite! I love the 1912 Jayhawk ^_^

Nevertheless 2 years, 1 month ago

Here's an idea: how about keeping C Jay and getting rid of Jim Marchiony?

jazzttt 2 years, 1 month ago

I graduated from KU, my wife didn't, but she's now a rabid KU BB fan. This is also her favorite Jayhawk, she has her morning coffee daily from a mug with the 1912 picture out of a set I bought for us. This is a cute mascot, sorry we won't get to see it used much in the future, can't understand why they went to so much expense only to ditch it after one year. Maybe they'll drag it out yearly for retro night like they did for the Big Jay from the 1950s. Ty Travis, AR, KU '67.

polo66606 2 years, 1 month ago

Ditto, Curtis. He just gets me with his cute scrawny legs.

Curtis Lange 2 years, 1 month ago

The 1912 Jayhawk is definitely my favorite. Loved seeing C Jay!