Archive for Sunday, February 19, 2012

NYPD monitored Muslim students all over Northeast

February 19, 2012

NEW YORK — The New York Police Department monitored Muslim college students far more broadly than previously known, at schools far beyond the city limits, including the Ivy League colleges of Yale and the University of Pennsylvania, The Associated Press has learned.

Police talked with local authorities about professors 300 miles away in Buffalo and even sent an undercover agent on a whitewater rafting trip, where he recorded students’ names and noted in police intelligence files how many times they prayed.

Detectives trawled Muslim student websites every day and, although professors and students had not been accused of any wrongdoing, their names were recorded in reports prepared for Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly.

Asked about the monitoring, police spokesman Paul Browne provided a list of 12 people arrested or convicted on terrorism charges in the United States and abroad who had once been members of Muslim student associations, which the NYPD referred to as MSAs. Jesse Morton, who this month pleaded guilty to posting online threats against the creators of “South Park,” had once tried to recruit followers at Stony Brook University on Long Island, Browne said.

“As a result, the NYPD deemed it prudent to get a better handle on what was occurring at MSAs,” Browne said in an email. He said police monitored student websites and collected publicly available information, but did so only between 2006 and 2007.

“I see a violation of civil rights here,” said Tanweer Haq, chaplain of the Muslim Student Association at Syracuse University. “Nobody wants to be on the list of the FBI or the NYPD or whatever. Muslim students want to have their own lives, their own privacy and enjoy the same freedoms and opportunities that everybody else has.”

In recent months, the AP has revealed secret programs the NYPD, built with help from the CIA, to monitor Muslims at the places where they eat, shop and worship. The AP also published details about how police placed undercover officers at Muslim student associations in colleges within the city limits; this revelation has outraged faculty and student groups.

Though the NYPD says it follows the same rules as the FBI, some of the NYPD’s activities go beyond what the FBI is allowed to do.

Kelly and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg repeatedly have said that the police only follow legitimate leads about suspected criminal activity.

Comments

tange 2 years, 1 month ago

The whole country should be monitored. Vital signs.

KSOBSERVER2000 2 years, 1 month ago

Those evil police. Shades of the 60s

DillonBarnes 2 years, 1 month ago

There is some scary ignorance in here.

jafs 2 years, 1 month ago

The above rant only shows that even in Canada, there are unreasonable people.

It would take too long to refute all of the particulars, but I'll do just a few of the first ones - we are not in fact "fighting a war on terror". And we were attacked not "by Islamic people", but by a small number of radical extreme Islamic people.

Finally, the fact that about 3,000 people were killed doesn't justify much of the rest of the post, unless you want to have us lower ourselves to the same level as terrorists, which most Americans don't want to do, as far as I can tell.

It's always odd to me that people are unaware of how many more innocent people have been killed in various operations of the US over the years.

BornAgainAmerican 2 years, 1 month ago

This was written by a Canadian woman, but oh how it also applies to the U.S.A., U.K. and Australia. THIS ONE PACKS A FIRM PUNCH. Written by a housewife in New Brunswick , to her local newspaper. This is one ticked off lady...and I agree with her.

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was

it or was it not, started by Islamic people who

brought it to our shores on September 11, 2001

and have continually threatened to do so since?

Were people from all over the world, not brutally murdered

that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from

the capitol of the USA and in a field in Pennsylvania ?

Did nearly three thousand men, women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or didn't they?

Do you think I care about four U. S. Marines urinating on some dead Taliban insurgents?

And I'm supposed to care that a few Taliban were

claiming to be tortured by a justice system of a

nation they are fighting against in a brutal Insurgency.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics in the Middle

East, start caring about the Holy Bible, the mere belief

of which, is a crime punishable by beheading in Afghanistan .

I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are

sorry for hacking off Nick Berg's head, while Berg

screamed through his gurgling slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called insurgents

in Afghanistan , come out and fight like men,

instead of disrespecting their own religion by

hiding in Mosques and behind women and children.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow

themselves up in search of Nirvana, care about the

innocent children within range of their suicide Bombs.

I'll care when the Canadian media stops pretending that

their freedom of Speech on stories, is more important than

the lives of the soldiers on the ground or their families waiting

at home, to hear about them when something happens.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a

CANADIAN soldier roughing up an Insurgent

terrorist to obtain information, know this:

I don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the

head when he is told not to move because he

might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank:

I don't care. Shoot him again.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and fed 'special' food, that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that his holy book is being 'mishandled,' you can absolutely believe, in your heart of hearts:

I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes

it's spelled 'Koran' and other times 'Quran.'

Well, Jimmy Crack Corn you guessed it.

I don't care!!

beatrice 2 years, 1 month ago

I am sure plenty of people 60 years ago argued that it was absolutely the right thing to do to lock up all the Japanese Americans. I mean, it was for everyone's safety and better safe than sorry, right? They bombed Pearl Harbor, after all, so fool us once, shame on us ...

dozer 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm sending the NYPD a friend request so we can be facebook friends!

50YearResident 2 years, 1 month ago

Those that destroy Trade Centers get monitered, plain and simple.

goodcountrypeople 2 years, 1 month ago

The NYPD conducts discriminatory "stop and frisk" operations aimed at Blacks and Latinos too. They are being investigated for misconduct on several fronts.

Agnostick 2 years, 1 month ago

I could be wrong... but I recall that many of the 9/11 hijackers moved through several states, during the three or four years they spent planning the attack. Flight lessons in Oklahoma, living in Florida, etc.

I'm not yet bothered by the monitoring of radical elements.

juma 2 years, 1 month ago

Monitoring the enemy is the only hope of winning. Moslems are at war with ALL non moslems. Wake up America, and all you liberal ignorant lovechildren. Go live in the moslem world for a few months/years and then lets talk. Islam has one, and only one, desire; totally, absolute control. It is the mantra five times a day. Please wake up to the reality of the situation.

ivalueamerica 2 years, 1 month ago

The same patriotic Americans who support this are using the same mindset of McCarthy, Jim Crowe, Japanes internment, and a host of other similar issues that blacken the history of our country.

They feel the need to bypass, spit on and tear apart the constitution whenever they feel it gets in the way.

Those traitors within are equally dangerous as traitors abroad.

And I never heard these same people wanting to keep white blue collar people segregated an under scrutiny after Tim McVeigh, David Koresh, and a whole host of home bread terrorist killed.

Roland Gunslinger 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh how the tea partiers are quick the trash the Constitution when it's against a group of anyone else but them.

Let me remind you: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Being muslim does not constitute probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

its_just_math 2 years, 1 month ago

Pffft. Muslim schmuslim. Monitor all those cretins at Fox News. They're the real threat and they're destroying America. Bill Maher, mediamatters, Rachel Maddow and other red,white and blue patriots have been trying to tell us this for years,.

When will we wake up to the destruction Fox News is causing (if you're a far-left lib).

Jane 2 years, 1 month ago

I think this falls under the 'fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me' umbrella.

Flap Doodle 2 years, 1 month ago

Try reading the Jawa report for a couple of months & see if you attitude changes.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 1 month ago

"monitored" pfsst. That 'aint so bad.

They could be Christians and have the "wrath" of Liberalism on their every move PLUS be "monitored".

skinny 2 years, 1 month ago

I have no problem with it either! This a free country!! Get used to it!

UNIKU 2 years, 1 month ago

I got no problem with this and neither would the majority of people in the US...and it has nothing to do with racism...if Irish Catholics or German Protestants were doing terrorist acts I say we monitor their butts too...