Archive for Saturday, February 18, 2012

Two men injured in U.S. Highway 59 accident near Pleasant Grove

February 18, 2012, 9:20 a.m. Updated February 19, 2012, 12:14 a.m.

Two men were flown to area hospitals with life-threatening injuries early Saturday after a one-vehicle rollover accident.

The accident occurred on U.S. Highway 59 at North 800 Road, near Pleasant Grove Hill. The driver of the car was southbound, veered right, then overcorrected, causing the vehicle to overturn, said Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman Sgt. Steve Lewis.

Lewis said officers have not yet been able to determine which man was driving the vehicle. Medical crews were assisting men at the scene at 1:30 a.m., though exact time of the accident is unknown.

The men in the vehicle were Mark A. Scoirtino, 22, and Zackary S. Marrone, 19. Scoirtino was flown via a helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. Marrone was taken to Truman West Medical Center in Kansas City, Mo. Both were thought to have life-threatening injuries.

A spokesman for Truman West said Saturday night that Marrone had been discharged from the hospital.

Scoirtino’s condition status was unknown as of Saturday night.

Comments

John Hamm 3 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry for these two gentlemen but too often anymore I'm seeing these magic words, "veered right, then over corrected." What happened to us as a nation and our ability to drive? One of the first things we used to be taught was "don't jerk the wheel." If you go off the road just ease back on it..........

Bob Forer 3 years, 1 month ago

That's a bad road, especially at night. Lots of curves and little to no shoulder. If one is travelling between Lawrence and Topeka its well worth the money to take the turnpike.

Ken Lassman 3 years, 1 month ago

You're thinking about hiway 40, not 59, which has its own set of problems, including the fact that unlike hiway 40, hiway 59 is the only road between Lawrence and Ottawa. It's being upgraded, but in the meantime, it's probably more dangerous in Douglas County than it was before the construction began. So drive slowly and defensively!

Aileen Dingus 3 years, 1 month ago

Was it by the house with the fence that keeps getting hit? The two lights on that fence look an awful lot like headlights on your side of the road if you're headed south at night. If you're not used to it, I could see it being cause for trying to veer right and get out of the "oncoming car's" way.

John Hamm 3 years, 1 month ago

If you (re)read - I doubt if you originally did - it states the driver "veered right then over corrected." One of the main ideas when driving is to not "screw up."

Orwell 3 years, 1 month ago

Thank you, Oonly. NWYT's complaint isn't without its place, but this isn't that place.

KSense 3 years, 1 month ago

Not knowing all the particulars I hate to judge too quickly but I'm wondering if people even try to know their roads?

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

I would sure hate for all of the really stupid things that I've done while driving to be opened to public scrutiny.

Every one of you would be dumbfounded. Like for instance, the 'flying car'. Did you all know that a 1959 Rambler can literally fly into the air under certain circumstances?

I like to think that I have learned a great deal since then.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

And, the 'flying car' did not even have seat belts.

frogtails 3 years, 1 month ago

I never smelled alcohol on either of them, nor did I see any bottles or cans any place.

blindrabbit 3 years, 1 month ago

The poster maybe confusing highway 40 and 59! Highway 40 west of the highway 10 exchange is a disaster, no shoulders for many miles heading to Topeka. I drive it all the time, day and night and just amazed thayt there are not more accidents than there are. It seems to me that 40 is much more problematic that 59 ever was.

frogtails 3 years, 1 month ago

This was at the top of Pleasent Grove Hill heading toward Baldwin. There isn't to much shoulder on this area of that road.

Onlyifitsadryshelter 3 years, 1 month ago

Last week on K10 I was going around a bus and when I got beside it the wind pushed it toward me. I panicked a bit and ended up with two tires on the shoulder. It took a whole lot of arm strength and concentration to get the car back onto the main highway without being thrown into the side of the bus. That is on a major highway with shoulders. The edges on 59 are VERY steep and it is extremely easy to over correct if it is not a road you are familiar with.

That being said, Does anyone ever admit that sometimes accidents just happen and maybe, God forbid, there are no fingers to point or soap boxes to climb? The driver had an ACCIDENT and will hopefully be ok. The family doesn't need everyone on here speculating about something they know absolutely nothing about.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

"sometimes accidents just happen"

Yes, it is magic.

frogtails 3 years, 1 month ago

I came up on this wreck. There were two cars in front of me, and three cars stopped coming from Baldwin direction. No one had got out to see if they could help. It was around 11:15pm and I am sure it had just happened. I got out to see if there was anything I could do to help them. The women that lived in the house was walking up to the first guy and put her blanket she had on over him and began talking to him. I went to the other young man to try to get him to stay still. Both were in bad shape. I asked people if anyone had blankets or coats to cover him with to keep him from going into shock. The lady who lives there heard them hit a sign and from there she thinks they flipped. Both went out the windows of their doors on the car. Both need prayers, along with prayers for their families. They are in a battle for their lives. The people in that home is not to blame, their light has never bothered me but if there are some people whose car might be at the right level that the light does then I think if they were to stop and speak kindly to them about how the light effects them at night that they would consider different lighting. All I have done is think of these two young man all day and praying for a mirical for both of them.

KSense 3 years, 1 month ago

You're right. Apologies on the thoughtless comment. Thank you for putting it into the right perspective.

chic111812 3 years, 1 month ago

THANK YOU for helping in saving my sons life!!!! Thank You!... Thank You to ALLl! I am thankful that there are people like you in this world. Bless you! I know my family and my son are VERY blessed!

Scott Morgan 3 years, 1 month ago

I always take a little traveled country highway to Ottawa. Not sure the name, but only road South in Baldwin.