Archive for Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lawrence to the 1st under congressional redistricting proposal

State Rep. Anthony Brown's redistricting plan puts Douglas County in the massive 1st Congressional District.

February 16, 2012

— All of Douglas County would be in the 1st U.S. House District under a congressional redistricting plan filed by Rep. Anthony Brown, R-Eudora.

The proposal, dubbed the “I-70 District” would go from Lawrence to the Kansas-Colorado border.

House Democratic Leader Paul Davis of Lawrence said he opposed such a map. “I don’t know why Douglas County would fit in the 1st. We need to keep the 1st as a rural agricultural district,” Davis said.

Brown did not immediately return a telephone call seeking comment. The plan can be seen here.

State legislators are redrawing district lines to accommodate population shifts over the past 10 years.

Douglas County is currently split, with the western portion in the 2nd District and the eastern portion in the 3rd. A proposal approved by the state Senate would consolidate Douglas County into the 2nd.

But a number of proposed alternatives surfaced in the House on Thursday. Public hearings on those plans will probably start next week.

In most of the draft plans, Douglas County is either entirely in the 2nd or 3rd districts.

The 1st, currently represented by U.S. Rep. Tim Huelskamp, R-Fowler, is a vast district that takes in western and central Kansas, but needs to pick up about 58,000 residents to reach an ideal size. A plan by House Speaker Mike O’Neal, R-Hutchinson, would add part of Wyandotte County to the 1st.

Davis has proposed a redistricting plan that would keep Manhattan in the 2nd.

Under the Senate-approved plan, Manhattan would be in the 1st; a proposal that Manhattan officials have opposed. Davis said it makes sense to have the state’s major universities, Kansas University and Kansas State, in the same district.

Comments

veggiegirl 2 years, 10 months ago

The link to the plan results in a 404 error.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

In a previous post, I described how I thought redistricting should be done. The legislature should first adopt a set of rules that would govern the process. I suggest:

1. Each district created should be as compact as possible.
  2. Each district should contain entire counties to the maximum extent possible.
  3. Each district should comprise a community of interest.

District 1 would thus be Johnson County and Wyandotte County with a small portion of Miami County; perhaps that portion north of K-68. This would be the Kansas City district.

District 2 would thus include Sedgwick County and the fewest number of surrounding counties except for Sumner County. This would be the greater Wichita district.

District 3 would be all the counties in NE Kansas on a line north and west from District 1 to District 2 along I-35 and then N to Nebraska. It would include the balance if Miami county and Lyon County and Riley County. Of course Douglas and Shawnee Counties would be in there too. This would be the Kansas river basin and flint hills district.

District 4 would be the rest of Kansas and would be the most rural of all the districts including NC, NW, SW AND SE Kansas. This is why Sumner County would not be in District 2. This would be the heartland district.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, I have significant family ties to Garden City and Colby. You dont know what you are talking about. Maybe I love rural Kansas so much I don't want it befouled by you.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Also what does kck have in common with Goodland? Answer, nothing...

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I also like your core argument of "it is a bad idea" without saying what makes it a bad idea or offering an alternative. You must have been home schooled.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I would be willing to bet that I know a lot more about Kansas history and geography than you.

I also would be willing to bet that you like to watch Fox Entertainment TV and confuse that with actual news.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I think rural Kansas would be better off it was in one big district together. Placing Colby and Goodland in the same district as Topeka and KCK is just a stupid idea for both the rural parts of KS and these two cities.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

This will be easier 30 years from now as KS will have even fewer districts. We will end up with two. One will include KCK and JOCO. the other will include everything else.

None2 will still be stupid though.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Where would you propose I go to get my education? At an ALEC conference? At a young republicans meeting? Perhaps I could go to Bob Jones University...

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I already have two degrees from KU as does my wife.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I mentioned Bob Jones u. Because your political philosophy seems in line with theirs...

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

As far as money goes, my family and I are blessed to have all we need. Hopefully, you are too.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I think I've finally figured you out. You're the king of stating the obvious...a university offering diplomas, wow! As a double major, you also say stupid things too...

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

I think my post that triggered my need to argue with a fool had 5 paragraphs in it. Also, it's not the number of words you say, it's the caliber of the message. Diarrhea of the keyboard like yours benefits nobody...

kochmoney 2 years, 10 months ago

I really hope Eudora fires Brown next time around.

Ken Lassman 2 years, 10 months ago

I'm sure Brown is getting Brown--ie points from the conservative wing by throwing Douglas County onto the grenade of redistricting. Maybe even from Brown-back, too. What's the deal with the color brown, by the way? I think there's some real brown abuse going on, although I think I'll leave it at that!

Michael LoBurgio 2 years, 10 months ago

The only thing i like about this is, it will be easier to get little timmy [I hate federal money as long as i keep getting some] huelskamp out of office faster.

EWG Farm Subsidy Database Huelskamp Farms Fowler, KS 67844 $ 1,594,867.35

John Kyle 2 years, 10 months ago

Republicans sure are scared of Lawrence

jayhawklawrence 2 years, 10 months ago

I don't think the message from Anthony Brown could be sent any louder or clearer.

The guy is a Lawrence and KU hater.

Anthony Brown is just another in the long line of incompetent people who somehow find their way into the Kansas legislature so that they can annoy and embarrass the rest of us.

I just wonder if the people of Eudora have the same animosity toward Lawrence that this clown seems to have or if they will show us a little bit more respect by removing this guy from office as soon as possible.

kansanjayhawk 2 years, 10 months ago

Certainly this is not true at all! Mr. Brown loves and appreciates the good things about Lawrence and KU--he does not however, support the runaway liberalism that some in our community represent--just be prepared liberalism is going to take a hit with whatever map eventually becomes law!

jafs 2 years, 10 months ago

A very clear illustration that you don't believe in representative democracy.

concernedeudoravoter 2 years, 10 months ago

No - not at all - Brown represents very little of what Eudora stands for. He represents Brownback and no one else. Whatever his leader is for, then he follows right in step. Whether this ridiculous redistricting plan or making changes to the school financing plan (of which Eudora has benefited as much as any district with the current plan), he will never go against the machine. He was not voted into office by people in Eudora or Douglas county. The voters in his district (which is an unbelievable creation of gerrymandering) from JoCo keep his absurdness in office.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

You are why republicans everywhere are abandoning the GOP.

WilburM 2 years, 10 months ago

This is nuts. Just nuts. The original Senate map was more than fair -- and also respected county boundaries and communities of interest. These KS House of Rep. maps are political to the extreme, but are only warm-ups for the battles over the state senate maps, which is where the real action is this year.

Amazing how greedy some of these R's are -- they hold every statewide office and all four House seats. This should be easy (the KS House map demonstrated that it could be), but the partisan wrangling for a little more advantage shows how partisan this has become..

GOP would like to see Lawrence divided in fourths, so we'd have no influence. Maybe that map is still to come.

Bob Harvey 2 years, 10 months ago

I also wonder how the lines would be drawn if the opposition were in a similar position? I am confident they would request the alignment to be fair and equal.

WilburM 2 years, 10 months ago

Actually, Owen's Congressional map was fair, and so was the House's map for tis own 125 districts. So being fair and complying with core ideas of representing communities is not that difficult. More generally, gross gerrymandering is not part of the KS tradition, even when Rs have been completely in control (1972, 1982, 2002)

Bob Harvey 2 years, 10 months ago

Wilbur, I truly do agree with you. I am not a fan of gerrymandering in anyway shape or form. I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek when asking if the loyal opposition would be as opposed if the roles were reversed. I am an independent so, hopefully, can look at things from both sides. That being said I do recall after the last national election hearing from the (D) side, "we won, you lost...it's our turn to do what we want, tough". Simply wanted to know if that line of thinking would be accepted if the (R) were in power.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Democrats never said that. You're on dope. I meant you are a dope...

yourworstnightmare 2 years, 10 months ago

Kansas is different from the east to west in economically and demographically (rural versus agrarian).

Yet, the districts run parallel in this map across the east-west axis.

Clearly gerrymandering to dilute the "eastern" vote with "western" voters. This is a last ditch effort to stem the tide of Kansas demographics away from the rural west and to the urban east.

JackMcKee 2 years, 10 months ago

Wouldn't it be funny if this backfired and Western Kansas ended up with liberal representatives.

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

It would be funny, but Kansas democrats are further right than reagan was so I doubt that will happen in our lifetimes...

Ockhams_Razor 2 years, 10 months ago

Eudora would be better represented by sending a Cabbage Patch doll in Topeka.

douglas6280 2 years, 10 months ago

It will all be ok. You will still get to vote and you will have a rep in the House.

average 2 years, 10 months ago

One reason it's not entirely impossible (though highly unlikely) is that absolutely nobody in Topeka likes Huelskamp. Even the extreme conservatives. And he isn't proving to be any more successful at the "making friends and influencing people" game in DC. Topeka power-players don't trust Jenkins. But they don't like Huelskamp. If one of them has to represent Lawrence, they'd rather it was Timmy. If one of them was to face a 'moderate Republican' primary challege and lose, they'd rather it was Timmy.

One other thing to look for in redistricting is for a solid shore-up in Republican votes in the 3rd. Yoder is the best youngish empty suit the GOP has to replace Roberts in a few years. Figuring a way to give him JoCo and points south (and not Wyandotte or Lawrence... i.e., the Anthony Brown plan shown) would make sure he doesn't have any real campaigns from here on. And would lower any risk of the 3rd flipping if Yoder did go to the Senate before the next Census.

average 2 years, 10 months ago

He got himself knocked off his committee assignments in his Topeka days. And, no, not for being too liberal (far from it). For, as I understand it, grandstanding and not being willing to go along with any functional compromises that came out of the party's smoke-filled rooms. In some ways, that can be kinda charming (see Ron Paul in the US House). Mind you, I find Paul's naiveté a little more endearing than Huelskamp's prime desire (to prove how dumb he really is). But Rep. Paul, even in those 434-1 votes, doesn't actively seek to gum up the horse-trading and getting stuff done.

Jan Rolls 2 years, 10 months ago

If this goes through see you in court.

jessie 2 years, 10 months ago

So, I'm guessing this plan splits Topeka? This is ridiculous. Term limits please!

JayhawkFan1985 2 years, 10 months ago

Do you have an online degree from the university of Phoenix?

Kirk Larson 2 years, 10 months ago

Lynn Jenkins wants to keep representing Manhattan and the republicans want to dilute the Democratic-ness of Douglas county.

sad_lawrencian 2 years, 10 months ago

This is the stupidest district map I've ever seen for this state.

grammaddy 2 years, 10 months ago

So, Douglas and Wyandotte are in different districts now. Way to dilute the Democratic vote.

TinmanKC 2 years, 10 months ago

The I-70 proposal is one of the most ridiculous yet! Clearly Brown and the Republicans are worried.