Archive for Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Police involved in brief chase Wednesday morning

February 15, 2012

A Lawrence police officer was involved in a brief vehicle chase Wednesday morning that ultimately was called off by a supervisor.

Kim Murphree, a Lawrence police spokeswoman, said an officer tried to stop a vehicle at 9:48 a.m. in the 300 block of Florida Street. The officer noticed someone in the vehicle who might have an active warrant out for arrest, but the vehicle did not stop.

After a short time, officers disengaged the pursuit at the direction of a police supervisor. According to police radio traffic at the time, the pursuit ended near Ninth and Tennessee streets.

Comments

budtugly 3 years, 4 months ago

I hate to say this but the new rookies that our new police chief has hired are starting to give credence to Smitty's posts. Did they drop the requirement that Lawrence police have to have a college degree??

Beth Ennis 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with uniku; it says nothing about it being a rookie. A lot of police chase's are called off because they are dangerous. I'm sure the warrant was for nothing serious. That's probably why it was called off, it wasn't worth the risk.

Food_for_Thought 3 years, 4 months ago

Someone must be bitter that they didn't get hired by Lawrence PD...

FlintlockRifle 3 years, 4 months ago

I would imagine traffic was getting a little heavy in this area that time of day, hopefully the cruiser camera got the tag number and ID of vehicle.

somebodynew 3 years, 4 months ago

Well, that is IF this is one of the cars with a camera, Plus it said the guy with the warrant was in the car, not neccessarily the driver. There might be charges against the driver if there was a camera, the tag actually belongs on the car, and the driver didn't 'lend' his car to someone.

But you are correct that the supervisor probably called it off due to traffic, time of day, and area.

What having a college degree has to do with anything in this article is beyone me.

jackpot 3 years, 4 months ago

Did not say what the warrant was for. I would say that it was not a felony warrant. My guess is misdemeanor or traffic warrant.

BorderRat 3 years, 4 months ago

You made my afternoon coffee come out my nose.

rukidingme 3 years, 4 months ago

What does having a college degree do with being a police officer. I know several police officers and I have found that street smart and common sense out ways a college degree. Just because your book smart doesn't make you a good cop.