Archive for Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A clean sweep: Tyshawn Taylor talks it up after KU victory

Kansas guard Tyshawn Taylor pops his jersey as he leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 59-53 win over Kansas State on Monday, Feb. 13, 2012 at Bramlage Coliseum.

February 14, 2012

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 59-53 victory over Kansas State on Feb. 13, 2012.

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KSU coach Frank Martin

Kansas State coach Frank Martin talks to reporters following the Wildcats' 59-53 loss to Kansas on Feb. 13, 2012.

KU vs. Kansas State

Box score

— Tyshawn Taylor stared into the boisterous Kansas State student section late Monday night in Bramlage Coliseum, pulling out his jersey and the word “Kansas” in the direction of those who tried to make his life oh-so-miserable the previous two hours.

“They had their time to talk to me while I was warming up and during the game, so I figured I had my time to talk to them a little bit after the game. After we get a win, it’s my time to talk a little bit,” Taylor, Kansas University’s senior guard, said with a smile — after collecting 20 points and five assists against three turnovers in 37 minutes of the Jayhawks’ 59-53 victory over the Wildcats.

He hit a pair of crucial threes to open an 11-0 run that erased a 37-36 second-half deficit with 11:49 left and gave the Jayhawks the lead for good.

Taylor — who missed the front end of a pair of 1-on-1 free-throw situations in the final 1:03 as KSU cut KU’s lead to 55-51 before Thomas Robinson cashed two big charities at :21.3 — was “terrific,” coach Bill Self said after his Jayhawks improved to 21-5 overall and 11-2 in the Big 12. KSU dropped to 17-8, 6-7.

“Tyshawn has been unbelievable in conference play, arguably as good a player in the league,” Self said. “The guy played 37 minutes. His body is dead tired. He told me yesterday, ‘I’m as tired as I have ever been,’ and we play him 37. Unfortunately, he didn’t finish the game. Free throws. He’ll work on that. I’d rather have a guy hit threes than free throws. It’s more points.”

Taylor said there were no excuses for missing free throws in crunch time, as he did in a 74-71 loss on Feb. 4 at Missouri.

“I just (stink) at free throws right now,” Taylor said. “I don’t know what it is. I’ve got to get back in the lab and work on them.”

Taylor, who dislocated a finger in the second half and had it popped right back in, hit a three just before the shot clock expired after chasing down a deflected pass into the backcourt.

That three gave KU a 39-37 lead.

“It’s one of the biggest ones (shots of his career),” Taylor said. “We didn’t have anything going at the time. Then I was able to hit another one right after that, and we had a lead.”

His second three, which came right after he had a shot rejected, gave KU a 42-37 advantage at 10:10.

Taylor ripped home a baseline slam dunk with 4:49 left, giving KU a 49-39 lead. It was similar to the baseline jam he had at Missouri that proved to be KU’s final points of that 74-71 loss in Columbia, in which KU blew an eight-point lead down the stretch.

“It crossed my mind a few times,” Taylor said of KU seeing an opponent cut into a late lead. “Two minutes left, they hit a shot, I thought, ‘Here we go.’”

But Robinson’s two free throws at :21.3 gave KU the breathing room it needed at 57-51, though Rodney McGruder (he and Will Spradling were chased by KU’s triangle-and-two defense the second half) cut it to four by hitting a deep two-pointer at 8.1 seconds. Conner Teahan cashed two free throws at 6.8 to conclude the scoring.

Robinson had 10 points and Teahan two on a night Jeff Withey went for 18 with 11 rebounds and nine blocks.

“It’s always good to win here,” said Taylor, who lost once in Manhattan — last year — during his four-year KU career.

For Taylor, it was sweet redemption to leave the arena with a sign that his sister, Tatianya, found in the KSU student section.

“Hey Tyshawn, Pass Me the Ball,” the sign read.

“She’s been running around looking for signs,” Tyshawn said with a smile. “I think she’ll keep that one.”

KU will meet Texas Tech at 7 p.m. Saturday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

CHEEZIT 2 years, 2 months ago

Put TT on K-State's team last night and they would have won. Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!!

Gotland 2 years, 2 months ago

TT is all heart. He has won this former critic over.

ksbball1 2 years, 2 months ago

I love how gritty the Hawks played last night. Sure we need to work on bringing the ball up against a full court press, but they'll get it worked out. We've got one of the best coaching staffs in college basketball and they showed it last night. That triangle and 2 defense in the second half gave ksu fits and turned the game around for us. Nice job guys! always nice to win in Manhattan. GO HAWKS!

Vaildini 2 years, 2 months ago

Let Ty miss 1 game and you will miss him. T-Rob had 5 T.O.'s and gets a free pass. Kansas fans knew going into this year that we would struggle a bit. The fact that we are ranked top 5 right now is awesome. People were trashin' Jeff W in the beginning of the season too. Just be a fan. I'm sure we all screw up from time to time in our own lives. Just seems silly to hate on a guy who most teams in the country would love to have. Maybe if we could go deeper down our bench it would be more helpful. Go Hawks

dmc67 2 years, 2 months ago

Very concerned with our guard play at the end of games. Especially the full court press.

rockchalk1977 2 years, 2 months ago

Martin said “I told our guys (at halftime), ‘I don’t know what to tell you." Brilliant Frank.

Jerry Collins 2 years, 2 months ago

Hey TT, Thanks for four years. I've seen a kid that was a little rough around the edges turn into a pretty classy guy and a player that took the team and put them on his shoulders when it called for it. You're going to surprise a lot of people at the next level. I know you'll be ready for the rematch with MU. Kick their azz and win the conference.

theotherphogg 2 years, 2 months ago

Tyshawn can talk all he wants. He basically won the game with those two back to back 3's. The dude is a player, and does things there aren't 3 people in the country can duplicate. I'm with coach Self, I'll take the 3's over the 'free's' anytime. And like TT said, he'll go back to the lab and work on those too. Great game TT ! Sweet revenge for the people who put his name on their signs...

Graczyk 2 years, 2 months ago

TT wasn't all that good at the end of the game. Bad turnover on a travel, wild shot at the basket, missed free throws. They barely got it done. Doesn't seem like it was time to do a whole lot of talking.

grahambailey 2 years, 2 months ago

As they say, "Kansas State, where men are men.....and sheep are nervous."

commonsenseanyone 2 years, 2 months ago

Nice game Tyshawn. Their student section had some signs made that would have irritated me as well. Besides, we need to amp up this rivalry since we can't slap around Mizzou any longer. Good win!

Paul R Getto 2 years, 2 months ago

Good job, Hawks. Beat them by just a few. That's good for now. We'll bury them later if there's a rematch in the tournament.

FalseHopeNoChange 2 years, 2 months ago

At least Taylor has his government education to fall back on.

I gave the 4 points and made enough for some new golf shoes.

pigballin 2 years, 2 months ago

Why post the white guy comment. so stupid, man.

Robert Rauktis 2 years, 2 months ago

Dislocated the finger in the white guard's mouth. He misses free throws for the same reason KU crumbles and sputters to some wins, excepting Missouri: they are exhausted.

cato_the_elder 2 years, 2 months ago

Clean sweep in the regular season this year, 2-0, sealed in the renamed Octagon of Broom.