Archive for Friday, February 10, 2012

100 years ago: KU women bring story-time to Lawrence youngsters

February 10, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Feb. 10, 1912:

• "The university girls are always interested in projects that will bring their college before the people. The latest of their endeavors will be that which will be instituted next Saturday in the Dick Bldg at three o'clock when a story hour will be opened for the children of the town. This story hour which is not designed to conflict in any way with the one at the city library will be open to all children of the city who enjoy listening to stories. The girls who will do the story telling are pupils in the expression department of the University. No stories will be told that have not been strictly censored. The stories will be those written by authors of good standing including mythology, classic tales and others that are good for children to hear. After a story is told the girl in charge will ask the children to tell it again, and only the best English will be permitted."
  • "The program for the monthly meeting of the Lawrence Commercial club to be held on next Tuesday night includes a varied amount of business which is of much importance to the club and to the city of Lawrence. There is always the regular business but at this meeting many new issues are to be taken up and discussed.... The matter of the general needs of the city in the way of fire protection is to be one of the principal subjects up for discussion.... This is an old and often discussed subject in Lawrence and no doubt the outcome of Tuesday night's meeting will be closely watched."

Comments

Sarah St. John 2 years, 2 months ago

Andini, you have asked the very question that got me into the OHT business in the first place!

Several years ago, I think when Lawrence was getting ready to celebrate its sesquicentennial, I called Ann Gardner and asked if they were going to add a 150 Years Ago to the OHT. After explaining it to me (see below), she kept my name and number on hand as "someone who was interested in OHT." When the last OHT-er, Bill Mayer, retired from his sports desk at the J-W, Ann called me and asked if I'd like to take it on as a part-time gig. I enthusiastically accepted, and here I still am, almost two years later, historizing away!

And now to your question -- as you know from reading February 1910, the huge downtown fire led to the merging of the World and the Journal. However, although the Journal was around for a long time before that, the World, which is the true familial "ancestor" of today's J-W, was not as early. When the 150th birthday of the World newspaper rolls around, if I'm still on the job, I'll definitely see about adding a 150 to the mix. I'd love to do that!

Andini 2 years, 2 months ago

When will you be adding a 150 years ago? Wasn't the LJ World around then?

Sarah St. John 2 years, 2 months ago

My apologies to any OHT readers who were caught up in the confusion this morning. I still am not sure what happened. I always check the website to see if the OHT looks okay, but I was rushed for time this morning and didn't check, and by the time I did, whatever boneheadedness I had perpetrated had apparently been corrected by a kindly co-worker. (Thanks, whoever you are!)

Again, I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for reading!

-- Sarah St. John

kernal 2 years, 2 months ago

Since some people have a hard enough time with accurate history info as it is, would someone like to fix the headline since Lawrence didn't exist 200 years ago?