Archive for Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Former U.S. Rep. Dennis Moore has Alzheimer’s

February 8, 2012, 5:22 p.m. Updated February 9, 2012, 12:36 a.m.

— Former U.S. Rep Dennis Moore, who represented Kansas for 12 years in Congress, announced Wednesday he is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s disease and plans to work to bring awareness to “this insidious disease.”

“It is not an easy thing to hear. But this is the hand I have been dealt, and Stephene (his wife) and I are committed to using the opportunity we have to help make sure this insidious disease gets more public attention,” his statement said.

Moore, a Democrat, was first elected to Congress in 1998 and went on to represent Kansas’ 3rd District until he announced he would not seek re-election for the term that ended in 2011. His wife, Stephene Moore, sought his House seat but was defeated by then-state Rep. Kevin Yoder, a Republican.

The 3rd Congressional District covers Johnson and Wyandotte counties and the eastern portion of Douglas County, including parts of Lawrence.

Moore, 66, said in a statement that he had an initial consultation with physicians in February 2011 and additional testing, followed by a final diagnosis in June 2011.

“The good news is that I feel fine and I’m truly enjoying being with my family and friends on a more regular basis since I retired from Congress,” the statement said. “I know there will be good days and some not so good days over the long term. I wanted to make this announcement now to help draw some attention to Alzheimer’s and to early onset dementia.”

He and his wife plan to work with the Heart of America Chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association.

“In the meantime, we appreciate your respect for our privacy as we also focus on my own health,” the statement said.

Yoder said he was saddened to hear the news and praised Moore.

“As a community, we thank him for his many years of service to our country and for representing the 3rd District honorably while in Congress,” Yoder said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the Moore family as they deal with this difficult disease, and our hearts go out to the millions of Americans who struggle every day with the challenges Alzheimer’s brings.”

Comments

Ray Parker 2 years, 2 months ago

We may well suppose that left-wing extremist Dennis Moore, who voted repeatedly in favor of partial-birth abortion while in Congress, let it slip from his mind that babies are human and should not be mangled, dismembered, poisoned, and beheaded for profit. Meanwhile, two loggers pleaded guilty to disturbing bald eagle nests while doing their job cutting trees near Hardin, MO, which MIGHT EVENTUALLY have cause DISCOMFORT to eagles, such as moving to another unused nest, and were SENTENCED to probation and fines and community service. According to leftists like Moore, we should hug trees not babies.

lunacydetector 2 years, 2 months ago

Alzheimer’s disease cannot be diagnosed with 100% certainty until after death.

Mike Ford 2 years, 2 months ago

I remember seeing Mr. Moore in the outfield area of the Royals-Giants interleague game in June 2003. He was always a dignifed educated person....especially on Native American issues. He stood by the Wyandottes when the tribes now in Kansas attacked them. He wrote a proposed congressional bill for the Kansas Munsees I've worked with. He was a Blue Dog Democrat. In the current environment of political purity to the extent of appearing fascist in nature....Mr. Moore advocated an educated point of middle ground involving that hated word of the purists/fascists....political compromise. The reason for the all of the juvenile and immature comments on here is that none of those posters are coherent enough to understand the necessity of political compromise. They follow nothing except red meat. Mr. Moore beat Vince Snowbarger, Chris Kobach, Nick Jordan, and some other immaterial people because voters back then understood the necessity of compromise for the good of both parties. People who get off on baiting arguements with pointless comments aren't capable of thinking enough to understand the necessity of compromise. All I've heard is a bunch of hating. He beat the GOP at will for a couple of terms. He will be remembered as a good Kansas politician in a current state of unthinking boot steppers.

its_just_math 2 years, 2 months ago

Godspeed Mr. Moore.

Substitute (any prominent KS Republican) name for Moore's and reboot comments. Apples to oranges couldn't begin to describe the stark difference in comments.

Y'all are T-riffic---may god bless.

Sincerely, Math

Paul R Getto 2 years, 2 months ago

Thanks, Mr. Moore, for your service. Good luck and thanks for your candor. Sadly, treatment of this disease will be another growth industry. Let us hope the research, including stem cells, moves forward to try and help victims and their families and maybe, someday, to find more effective treatments and perhaps a cure.

nativeson 2 years, 2 months ago

There are some situations that transcend personal politics, and this is one of those situations. I lost an immediate family member to Alzheimer's after 13 years. The disease knows no party affiliation, and it is a tragic circumstance for those who will support him. My prayers go out to them.

Steve Swaggerty 2 years, 2 months ago

ALZHEIMERS..Which in BROWNBACKISTAN still qualifies Moore to be a member of our Congressional delegation!! See JENKINS, MORON, ROBERTS ETC....

irvan moore 2 years, 2 months ago

he was/is a pretty good guy congressman or not. i think this is a tragedy for him and his family and i would hope those who want to slam him for his political beliefs will never have to deal with a disease like this in their family privately, let alone publicly. the story has nothing to do with politics. it's about a family having the courage to deal with a problem in a way that might later help others. safe journey, you deserve it.

lawslady 2 years, 2 months ago

Even though I normally eschew politicians and vote against (not for) people, he is one person that I not only voted for but once even gave some funds. Why? Because you could trust him to do what he said he would do. If he didn't agree with you/something, he was not kind to your face while sticking a knife in your back. His kind of politician is now a rare breed. The type who lead by example, tried to always be truthful, and did not treat others as if they were mere commodities useful only when he wanted money or votes. You could disagree with him, and still respect each other. I am saddened by this news, but proud of him and his family for coming forward and being honest about his condition. It shows, again, the level of class and attention to public service that has marked his career. Well done Congressman. Well done.

think_about_it 2 years, 2 months ago

Say what you want about me and my opinions. I still stand behind them.

This man went out of his way to do as much harm to this country as possible. My statements aren't meant to be political. They are facts. He caused direct harm to many of his constituents and then hid from them like a scared little child. Pathetic.

jonas_opines 2 years, 2 months ago

One of these days I'll come onto a message board off an article that is about a terrible or tragic thing, and not see classless comments.

/Ok, no I probably won't. But it would be nice if it did.

Over the last four or five years, I've watched in interim my grandmother forget who I am. Thankfully I made time to visit, early, so we could have a little last bit of time together. What's happening to her fills her with pain, on some level, and a nursing home facility that deals with Alzheimer's patients is one of the most depressing places that you could ever spend time in. It is a terrible disease, and if you feel the need to make a politically charged or sarcastic comment, I suggest that you maybe volunteer at such a place for just an afternoon. Maybe you'll learn to think, first, before you believe that you're funny or witty.

kernal 2 years, 2 months ago

It doesn't matter which side of the political fence a person is on, this is an insidious disease and political bashing has no place with this topic.

WilburM 2 years, 2 months ago

The callousness of these comments are almost impossible to fathom. Dennis Moore's constituents considered themselves well represented, to the extent that they elected him in a GOP-leaning district six times. He served JoCo well as a DA and a JCCC trustee. He voted his conscience and took the consequences.

Now he faces a tragic disease, and you can do nothing but bash him in the most partisan of ways.

That's beyond pathetic.

think_about_it 2 years, 2 months ago

His voting record was what Nancy Pelosi told him to do 98% of the time. Lock- step. That takes no thought at all.

think_about_it 2 years, 2 months ago

So now we are just to forgive him for hiding from his constituents and helping to cram ObamaCare down our throats? I think not.

pace 2 years, 2 months ago

I commend Mr. and Mrs. Moore for their candor. It is a situation that will change many families. The more our community learns about the condition the more the families will find support in the community. good luck to them.

deathpenaltyliberal 2 years, 2 months ago

wissmo (anonymous) says… Or, in plain English the media discovered they were losing money by joking about a beloved president."

Beloved president? That's funny, considering that the current GOP would despise him because he'd be seen as a leftist compared to the rest of the current clown car of presidential candidates.

speedykitty 2 years, 2 months ago

Congr. Moore is not my party, nor congressional district but this is a very sad situation.

I have been watching Glen Campbell's career with his Alzheimer's announced last summer. I saw him perform to two huge crowds at Branson in early December. I think almost everyone agrees his music is very important to keeping him functioning with Alzheimer's. He is still successfully touring with his children and wife, and playing to adoring crowds. He still has his strong voice, and plays fantastic guitar.

I seem to remember Congressman Moore playing guitar, and that would be nice to entertain older citizens in some of the assisted living facilities, and other senior venues. The music might be helpful to him also.

Jean Robart 2 years, 2 months ago

why aren't the comments displayed for this story?

Lenette Hamm 2 years, 2 months ago

Moore is an outstanding man, and it saddens me greatly to hear of this.

labmonkey 2 years, 2 months ago

There is a long road ahead for him and his wife. No age is a good age to be diagnosed with alheizmer's, but 66 seems way too young.

This is the second high profile person who is under 70 to be diagnosed that I can think of lately... Pat Summit being the other. I am curious if Doctors are just catching it earlier, or if the early onset alheizmers is a fairly new discovery.

tomatogrower 2 years, 2 months ago

Sorry to hear it. This is such a sad disease.

Scott Morgan 2 years, 2 months ago

For the love of Mike, please do not do the Reagan type Alzheimer’s jokes again on Moore. For you politically correct folks, the lib media late night shows did exactly this to Ronnie so often ABC,NBC, CBS actually recognized the fact mocking conservatives was not everyone's idea of fun.

Even plainer English. No commercials which made TV free.

Even plainer English.............Toyota Pweeze stop now, or no more yen.

Charlie Bannister 2 years, 2 months ago

The good news is that so much has been learned about this dreaded disease in the last 5 to 10 years. They are doing a lot of the research right in KC. They are starting to understand more about delaying the effects on the brain. God speed to the researchers.

My_Life 2 years, 2 months ago

Good thing for him that he will get much better heathcare than his constituents that have worked and paid all their lives for something they ain't gonna get.

verity 2 years, 2 months ago

Even though I didn't know Mr Moore personally, this hits hard. There are some treatments to hold off effects for awhile and I'm glad that he and Mrs Moore will be using their influence to being further attention and perhaps some progress in treatment of a truly heartbreaking disease.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 2 months ago

This is so sad. He was like Bob Dole to a Democrat; even if you didn't agree with his politics you still had to respect him as a statesman.

George_Braziller 2 years, 2 months ago

All of the memory-robbing diseases and syndromes are pretty awful. I think it's even worse for the family than the individual. My dad had Pick's Dementia but he wasn't really conscious of it because he couldn't see it.

In less than seven years he went from building furniture and riding a motorcycle to not even recognizing his own children.

justforfun 2 years, 2 months ago

So agree!! x 100 on all accounts

Jean Robart 2 years, 2 months ago

This is so sad. I was not a Dennis Moore supporter, but to see someone of his stature and intelligence hit by this vicious disease is a true tragedy. My thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.