Archive for Wednesday, February 8, 2012

2 people in custody after police chase on Kansas Turnpike

February 8, 2012, 4:34 p.m. Updated February 8, 2012, 9:32 p.m.

Two people are in custody after a high-speed police chase that began in Kansas City, Mo., and ended at the Lecompton exchange of the Kansas Turnpike on Wednesday.

The driver of the car, which reached speeds of up to 112 miles per hour during the chase, was taken into a Leavenworth County jail on eight felony charges, including feeling and eluding police and criminal damage, Kansas Turnpike Authority Trooper Mike Gruber said. A 16-year-old passenger was taken into Douglas County juvenile custody. Three other passengers were arrested but released as of Wednesday night because they had no outstanding warrants.

Troopers deployed stop sticks to halt the vehicle near mile marker 198, between Lecompton and Lawrence, at about 4 p.m. After the car lost one of its tires, the driver attempted to flee on foot but was stopped by Gruber, he said.

A Kansas City, Mo., police helicopter followed the car across the state line.

Comments

sierraclub 2 years, 10 months ago

Obama should be so proud of his country.

observant 2 years, 10 months ago

I realize it's asking a lot from a racist Obama hater, but what did Obama have to do with a stolen car and the idiots in it who ran from cops?

sierraclub 2 years, 10 months ago

Who said I was being a racist Obama hater?

Obama should be so proud of his country.

That is all I said. You hypocrites just have no clue.

observant 2 years, 10 months ago

And you still haven't answered a simple question. What the hell does a felony traffic stop have to do with Obama? I can understand how a racist Obama hater lacks skills needed to articulate an answer.

sierraclub 2 years, 10 months ago

I am just trying to be like your hero, Merrill.

observant 2 years, 10 months ago

sierraclub 2 years, 10 months ago

The teleprompter will only allow me to say what is put in front of me.

somedude20 2 years, 10 months ago

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid" - Benjamin Franklin

jaywalker 2 years, 10 months ago

Check me if I'm wrong, sierra, but isn't what you're perpetrating here the epitome of trolling? There's enough stupid crappola tossed around here, stop being part of the problem.

ksjayhawk74 2 years, 10 months ago

Brownback should be so proud of his state.

CardHawkFan 2 years, 10 months ago

I would be in a hurry to leave Missouri, too! Probably that official returning the game he stole from the Jayhawks the other day in Columbia!

pizzapete 2 years, 10 months ago

They were coming to Lawrence to see if the city commision would consider if their stealing of cars could be acceptable in certain situations. They were carpooling after all.

Sunny Parker 2 years, 10 months ago

People are angry that they can't find jobs! Crime is going to rise so get ready!

KS 2 years, 10 months ago

I think that depends on how you play with the numbers.

oldlhsalum 2 years, 10 months ago

FlintHawk 2 years, 10 months ago

"...including feeling and eluding police and criminal damage, "

Believe it or not, it took me a few seconds to figure out that this was a misspelled word. I kept trying to figure out what they were "feeling." I know Kansas is getting weird, but I thought it was okay to have feeling, or maybe fleeings.

8-}

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 10 months ago

'Hooked On a Feeling' (1974) - Blue Swede

For this version: 1) It is absolutely essential to turn up the bass. 2) Full screen viewing and mind altering drugs are recommended for maximum visual effects.

Peaty Romano 2 years, 10 months ago

I passed the incident at about 4:45 they had about 8 patrol cars and the suspects sitting on the ground in those plastic handcuffs. Right across the street from the water tower. Quite the scene.

Joe Hyde 2 years, 10 months ago

Only 112 mph? Jeez, police pursuits on the Turnpike sure aren't what they used to be. Which I suppose is a good thing.

But back in the 1960s/1970s heyday of Detroit muscle cars we'd have been talking 130-140+ mph chases, easy. Spike strips? Nah: it would have been about roadblocks, a .357 or .30-06 armor-piercing round fired into the radiator, with maybe a load of 00-buck blowing out a tire in a nifty crossing chance by a Trooper who really knows how to shoot.

Sometimes you just get homesick for stuff like that.