Archive for Monday, December 31, 2012

Lawrence snowfall under an inch, area highways slick on New Year’s Eve

December 31, 2012

Less than an inch of snow fell on Lawrence Monday, through area roads and highways did get sloppy in the evening.

It will be the area's last opportunity for significant precipitation for at least a week, the National Weather Service reports, and the impact on Lawrence appeared minimal Monday night. The NWS' winter weather advisory should be lifted by 6 a.m. Tuesday.

City crews began salting and laying sand in Lawrence streets Monday morning, and those remained largely clear into the night. From noon to midnight, Lawrence police responded to about six motorists in need of assistance and a dozen accidents, none involving life-threatening injuries.

Highways in the area grew more treacherous from the afternoon to evening. The Kansas Department of Transportation showed Interstate 70 snow-packed from Topeka to Lawrence after 3 p.m. Kansas Highway 10 and U.S. Highway 59 were in the same condition by 8 p.m. Law enforcement responded to several incidents of vehicles sliding off of roads in Douglas, Franklin, and Jefferson counties.

The NWS forecasts the snowfall will have passed Tuesday, and Lawrence can expect a high of 27 degrees in the day and a low of 11 at night.

Comments

bearded_gnome 1 year, 9 months ago

when you're outside, close your eyes and just listen. snow dampens so many of the manmade noises.

listen to the beauty of the sound of the snowfall itself. a sound we can enjoy in winter if we choose to.

zackattackku 1 year, 9 months ago

Under an inch of snow my butt. There is more than an inch of snow out there.

sugarmagnolia 1 year, 9 months ago

yeah mr. cummings clearly just wanted to finish this article early and get on to his new year's eve celebrations. there was definitely more than an inch of snow and i wouldn't say the roads are largely clear

BigAl 1 year, 9 months ago

I had to shovel my driveway twice yesterday and now I need to hit it again this morning. There was at least an inch out there each time I shoveled and again this morning. We definitely received more than an inch of snow.

Laura Wilson 1 year, 9 months ago

I have at least two inches on the railings of my deck, maybe nearly three. It didn't all fall after this article was written. Where were they measuring?!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 9 months ago

^^Fretster
Fretster 1 hour, 28 minutes ago

This is one place I have to agree with you. It's an amazing thing.

---yes. every snowfall has its own beauty in its sound of the snow coming down. I find it relaxing to listen to.
when the snow covers the landscape, usually means at least an inch and covers up the manmade sounds seems you can hear further.

jackpot 1 year, 9 months ago

Took about 2" off my drive north side of street and 3" off neighbors on the south side of street.