Archive for Saturday, December 29, 2012

40 years ago: Lawrence mayor suggests city restore 1908 electric car

December 29, 2012


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 29, 1972:

A vintage 1908 electric car, donated to the city by Mrs. Eleanor Henley in 1937, was about to be rescued from storage. The car, bearing the brand name "Milburn," had been sitting in a corner of a city storage garage since 1965 when it had been brought back from the Leavenworth Army Museum, where it had spent about ten years on display. Lawrence Mayor John Emick recently had suggested to the city that the car be reconditioned and donated to the Watkins Historical Museum. Mrs. Henley had been the widow of Albert Henley, who was listed in old city directories as the president of the American Cement and Plaster Corp. The couple had lived at 713 Louisiana.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.