Letters to the Editor

Letter: Turkey abuse

December 27, 2012

To the editor:

On Dec. 14, the Kansas University Beta Theta Pi fraternity gained unwanted national attention as a result of alleged abuse and killing of a turkey who had been “rented” for a party. According to band members and witnesses, the bird was chased and choked and thrown like a football.

According to witnesses cited in news reports, when the turkey’s wing snapped, and then its leg, the animal began screaming. After this abuse, the innocent, defenseless bird was killed. KU officials, the Interfraternity Council, and the Beta Theta Pi office have expressed their dismay at this cruel, violent crime.

If we find this conduct disturbing and cruel, I believe it is because this is one turkey with whom we can identify and for whom we can feel empathy. We might imagine what it would be like to be in the hands of a mob that finds it amusing to torture us.

And yet, the anonymous turkeys whom we eat are just as innocent and defenseless. If we are capable of feeling compassion for this one, then our hearts are telling us to have the same concern for all turkeys. We can save them from the torture and death they endure every single day on farms and in slaughterhouses by refusing to eat them.

Comments

ahimsaforall 1 year, 3 months ago

I'm always shocked and saddened that people are so "proud" and mean spirited when an animal is tortured. It's not about satisfying your insatiable appetite for eating meat, it's about saving a life, a precious life. "The greatness of a nation and its' moral progress can be judged the by the way its animals are treated." -Gandhi

Unreal 1 year, 3 months ago

I find it truly sad that not one person commenting on here has acknowledged the fact that these drunk frat men literally tortured and killed this living being for the sheer fun of it. I dont care if it was a turkey, cat or dog. This was an innocent creature that did not deserve what happened to it. And any human being with an ounce of compassion and empathy would understand this. But instead, I'm reading through a bunch of idiotic, heartless comments. I thought Lawrencians had more compassion than this. Cruelty is cruelty, no matter who it is perpetuated against.

oletimer 1 year, 3 months ago

this stuff is getting tiresome. seems religion is not the only argument that needs to be spelled out like this: You can have your beliefs, but quit trying to convince me of them. Opinions are like *ss holes. everybody has one. you go out and eat your grass, I will eat grass and meat.

JackMcKee 1 year, 3 months ago

I swear I thought turkeys could fly!

Linda and Bill Houghton 1 year, 3 months ago

The same could be said about chickens, hogs, cattle and other animals we use for food. It has been more than fifty years since I spent time on a farm, but at that time the chickens and cattle on that farm were not tortured before they were killed. That is the problem with the actions of the fraternity. If they had bought the turkey to eat and had put it quickly to death without the torture they would not have been condemned.

skinny 1 year, 3 months ago

Give me a break! Next it'll be pork and beef!

RoeDapple 1 year, 3 months ago

Yup, terrible what they do to turkeys. Have you tried veal?

LadyJ 1 year, 3 months ago

This is too funny. The advertisement at the bottom of the page was for chicken coops. Probably could be used for a turkey or two.

Noweigh 1 year, 3 months ago

Liberty One.... Don't forget turkey sandwiches......the absolute best any time!

Liberty_One 1 year, 3 months ago

No. I like eating turkey. It tastes good and its healthy for you.

I like taking the drippings and making some turkey gravy. I use cornstarch, water, salt and pepper and then smoother the meat with the gravy. Yum!

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 3 months ago

Many of us feel the same way about unborn children.