Archive for Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Water main breaks reported

December 26, 2012

Lawrence city utility crews have spent part of the holiday season repairing water main breaks, but officials say the number of leaks is no more than usual for this time of year.

"As things get colder and the water gets colder, you see things break a little more often," said Mike Lawless, assistant director of operations for the city's utilities department. He said the extended drought has also contributed to problems because the dry soil pulls away from the pipes, giving them more room to vibrate and break.

A pipe break in the 600 block of Walnut in north Lawrence early Wednesday affected service for 11 customers in that area. Lawless said crews expected to have that leak fixed by late afternoon. It was the fourth water main break in the city since Christmas Eve, Lawless said.

On Christmas Day, a water main break on W. 21st Street between Mitchell Street and Naismith Drive brought out crews who had to close that part of the street to make repairs. Lawless said the repairs were completed around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Two other water main breaks were reported on Monday, he said.

The city of Topeka was reporting a rash of water main breaks on Wednesday, with five teams of repair crews as well as contract crews working at various locations to fix leaks. The city was reporting on its Twitter page that the frozen ground was causing pipes to shift and break.

Topeka spokeswoman Suzie Gilbert said there had been 40 water main breaks in that city since Sunday, including 13 that had occurred by mid-afternoon Wednesday.

Comments

Phil Minkin 1 year, 11 months ago

Maybe the city should think about fixing our crumbing infrastructure instead of building the Taj Mah rec-center.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 11 months ago

The bus service is not under-utilized. Right now the KU buses aren't full because the students are away on winter break. The T has plenty of passengers, however if you see a bus near the end of its route it stands to reason it is going to have fewer passengers. I see more and more people on the bus, first time riders trying to learn the system to get to work on time. The KU bus with a ramp that makes it so easy to get on and off with a wheelchair, or if you just can't walk very well, is a godsend. A lot of people depend on the bus. Long time riders get to know each other and the drivers and at times there are some nice conversations.

The library is essential for those who love to read but cannot afford to buy books. It keeps people well informed about current affairs in foreign governments though the new non-fictions books about those areas. Besides books, music and movies, there are many programs that have something for every age group and interest. The people who work there are so nice to deal with, I think they deserve a shout out.

LogicMan 1 year, 11 months ago

Fares covering only 8% or so of the operating costs, as compared to successful municipal transit systems that cover at least 50%?

It's not unterutilized; it's welfare.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

Thank you very much Frankie for supporting an entitlement service by taking money away from people who work for it and give it to many who don't. If you and your buddies really needed to get somewhere you should call one of your friends. Please don't demand that others pay for your transportation under the banner of helping others . You help other people by paying your own way and not taking dollars from people you don't know. I know you are a good person from reading your posts and generally mean well. We wonder why the city does not grow, attract business and other things when our sales tax rate is one of the highest in the state. People get here and see a battlion of vagrents on our streets. No wonder people don't go down town. I know I go there very seldom because of this. Moms with small children generally don't go there at all. The 4 million a year empT is one of the things that attract them. Burt Nash, new shelter, new library mostly for 150 new computers meant for accrediation upgrades under the banner of providing them for the poor. The list continues.

Kirk Larson 1 year, 11 months ago

You most certainly must not go downtown as every time I go there there are lots of people.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 11 months ago

Cant_have_it_both_ways: If you don't go downtown, how do you know other people aren't there? Unless it's very hot or very cold there are plenty of people there, even moms with small children believe it or not.

As to the sort of people who use the T; my mother used it for the last few months before she died. She took it three times a week to the dialysis clinic at LMH. She was a tax payer and she also paid a fare to ride each way. She never minded paying for things she didn't use, such as school taxes after we kids were grown, and she didn't make it to the library much after she stopped driving. She understood that we all have to take care of each other to make this thing we call Life, work.

Catalano 1 year, 11 months ago

Wow. Merry effing Christmas to you, too. I pay taxes, which I think in your universe means paying my own way. But if I don't own a car and use the bus, that's taking from others? I agree our sales tax rate is high. Talk to your Governor or the State Chamber of Commerce about that. And God forbid you or your loved ones would ever need mental health care. But, being perfect in a perfect world, you'll be just fine. Oh, and thanks for staying away from downtown...those of us who patronize it appreciate that.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

I'm ramping up to write my income tax check... I am sick of all these people who think the world owes them something just because they were born, or demand more from the system than they put in. I gave a lot of money to charities last year, money that I earned by either hard or smart work. I do not like it at all that we pay people to watch tv and talk on free cell phones. You should not either. Imagine how much more there would be if people were required to at least pay part of their own way.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 11 months ago

You can stop being Ebeneezer Scrooge any time. Christmas is past.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

So I would guess you would agree that everyone can do something...Like fat people can do customer service work on phone banks just as well as sitting in front of their tv's watching Opra?

We could round up all the people drawing unemployment and put them to work fixing up the train station for a whole lot less than 5 million or whatever it is. We could also require them to move the books from the current library to the temp one and back while the new one is being built at a huge savings to the taxpayer... heck we are paying them anyway?

Any ideas?

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 11 months ago

I have heaps of them...unfortunately I'm not the decider. Neither are you.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 1 year, 11 months ago

You might then consider becoming part of the solution. Enough of all this waste of tax money on moochers.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 1 year, 11 months ago

See there's the difference between the two of us. I don't see it all as a waste of tax money and I don't see all people who use public services or entitlement programs as moochers.

Bailey Perkins 1 year, 11 months ago

If you can name a city that has actually spent time and efforts to repair crumbling infrastructures, then you'd have a greater likelihood of this happening. Since such a concept is non-existent to most city officials..I wouldn't expect much.

Lathrup 1 year, 11 months ago

Having spent most of my working life outdoors in very cold and very hot weather, I really feel for the crews doing the work. If there is anything colder than being down in a trench, wet, with 10F to 20F temps and a good crosswind, I haven't heard about it. My hat's off to the men in the hole.

Eugehne Normandin 1 year, 11 months ago

i find it to be more pleasant in a trench out of the wind and the ground is warmer below grade

Joshua Montgomery 1 year, 11 months ago

Best wishes to all of the hard working utility workers who are out punching holes in the frozen ground on Christmas day.

I've seen how hard these guys work to keep your water flowing safely. We should all take a moment to think about how much cold, thankless, dangerous work it takes to make our tap water flow.

Thanks guys.

Thinking_Out_Loud 1 year, 11 months ago

I am not very smart or knowledgable on these matters. I am not particularly erudite. Rather, then, than commenting on the issues raised in earlier posts, allow me merely to express my appreciation for those crews who responded to ensure the rest of us had water available during our holiday.

Thank you all, ladies and gentlemen--we understand that you had to take time from your own families, and we thank them, too. We have noticed your sacrifices this holiday season. We wish you all its blessings and we hope for you the happiest of New Years.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

Mikekt, thanks for a very informative post.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

And thank you gentlemen for keeping the water flowing on tis holiday season in a very cold time.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 11 months ago

I agree that our city's priorities are sure messed up!. we've had a couple of articles indicating that replacing old water mains is far behind what it should be.

yet: we want to put city money into restoring the train depot [yes I know most would be grants but some would be city $s]; we wanna build a very expensive wizbang rec center/KU athletic zone thingy; we wanna build a new waste water treatment plant to support our supposed expected growth [when we cannot reliably supply water to our current residents]; we fund the annual salary for a city sustainability officer; we expand/remodel the library [which it did need] and put in a $75K worth shiney thingy that doesn't fascilitate the library's mission; etc.

yeah, that's messed up priorities.