Archive for Tuesday, December 25, 2012

40 years ago: Unattended electric blanket causes early-morning fire

December 25, 2012

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 25, 1972:

An electric blanket left on over the holidays was suspected to be the cause of a fire early this morning at the Beta Theta Pi fraternity house, 1425 Tennessee. Firefighters had been called to the house at 12:55 a.m. to find flames coming from a third-story sleeping dorm. Damages were estimated to be $2,000 to the building and $1,000 to its contents.

A "token Christmas cease-fire" had halted the bombing of North Vietnam today after a week in which at least 18 planes and 70 airmen had been lost. U.S. officials were not saying when the bombing halt, ordered by President Nixon, had gone into effect, or when it would end, but there were hints that bombing would resume tonight at about the time that a 24-hour South Vietnamese cease-fire was to end.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.