Archive for Saturday, December 22, 2012

40 years ago: Student apartment destroyed in fire

December 22, 2012


From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 22, 1972:

  • Officials of the Lawrence Fire Department were attempting to find the cause of a fire that destroyed half of a duplex at 3727 Brush Creek Drive early this morning. The fire had apparently started in the living room of the apartment, which was owned by Ronald Holt and occupied by four Kansas University students. Hold said this morning that the KU students were speculating that a short in a stereo system may have started the blaze, which had caused an estimated loss to the building in the amount of $20,000. Loss to the contents of the building was estimated at $5,000, and a puppy belonging to one of the occupants had been killed in the fire.
  • In a separate incident, firefighters had determined that a recent fire that had caused $8,000 damage to a home on Lindley Road had originated when a blanket set near a lamp had overheated and caught fire.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.