Archive for Thursday, December 20, 2012

Weather forces districts, including Lawrence, to cancel classes; other cancellations listed

December 20, 2012, 5:33 a.m. Updated December 20, 2012, 8:02 a.m.

Area school superintendents decided on Thursday, Dec. 20, 2012, that it was too dangerous for their students to attend classes because of the first winter storm of the season. Lawrence and other school districts in northeast Kansas dismissed classes, and the weather force other closings and cancellations. The ice and snow proved a bit of a challenge for area residents as they cleaned sidewalks, including Kelli Duncan who was shoveling about 8 a.m. outside of McColm Orthodontics, 12 W. Eighth St.

Several area school districts have canceled school today, Dec. 20, 2012, because of weather conditions:

• Lawrence.

• Perry-Lecompton.

• Ottawa.

• Basehor-Linwood.

• Eudora.

• Tonganoxie.

• Santa Fe Trail.

• Baker University Baldwin City campus.

Other closings:

• Independence Inc.

• Prairie Moon Waldorf School.

• Lawrence Montessori School.

• Douglas County Senior Services' Senior Meals Program.

• Lawrence Athletics and Gymnastics, no morning activities.

• Senior Wheels.

• Lawrence Senior Center.

• Lawrence Arts Center Arts-based preschool. (The Arts Center will be open through 9 p.m.).

Opening late:

• Lawrence Public Library will open two hours late, at 11 a.m.

• Haskell Health Center, opening at 10 a.m.

• Just Food was closed until noon, and will be open until 5 p.m. today.

Power outages:

Westar Energy is reporting power outages in Douglas County.

Weather outlook:

The National Weather Service forecast reports that snow will continue to fall until about 9 a.m., followed by blowing snow. Today will be windy, with northeast winds at 25 to 30 mph this morning, decreasing slightly this afternoon. Wind gusts could be as high as 45 mph. The weather service forecast says total snow accumulation likely will be about 1 inch.

Roads:

Early Thursday morning, emergency crews were responding to numerous minor accidents related to the weather conditions.

Much of K-10 is "snowpacked." You can check out the Kansas Highway Patrol's road map here: http://bit.ly/U0mP1b.

On Interstate 70, the Kansas Turnpike Authority reports "ice possible" between Topeka and Lawrence. Check their map here: http://bit.ly/TCdxdc.

All lanes of US-56 at the Osage/Douglas County line are closed after an accident, according to the Kansas Department of Transportation.

However, is reporting that all roads in Northwest Kansas are open, as of 7:20 a.m. Thursday according to KDOT.

Comments

Jean Robart 1 year, 4 months ago

This morning, when the roads were so bad---why did it take USD 497 so long to call school off? It was obvious long before 6 am that the driving conditions were so bad.

JJE007 1 year, 4 months ago

All I can say is that I made it to work, despite the fact that someone slid through a stop sign and directly into my path on 19th. I hit the brakes, felt a skid but was able to maneuver into the oncoming lane, which was necessary due to the fact that the offending driver chose to just stop and sit in my skidding path. DRIVER, continue forward (out of my path) when you end up in the path of oncoming traffic with the right of way! Perhaps the car stalled. I don't know...

It's all good...as we were safe due to luck (no cars in the opposite lane) and my MAD defensive driving skillz!~) Be safe people. I was not. I was obviously wrong to go the speed limit in those conditions, especially as winds had blown my car offline on Haskell Ave.

Sometimes the overly cautious save us from the "underly" cautious. Let's not get our undies in TOO much of a bunch. In this society, as we are all mostly WRONG to accept this world in its current STATE...but must...!-D

LadyJ 1 year, 4 months ago

Used to work with a woman that would call if it snowed even a tiny bit and insist she could not work that day because it was really cold . If she started the car to warm it up and then locked it while she went back inside to wait, the doors might freeze shut and she would not be able to get into the car much less turn it off. For some reason it was not feasible for her to sit in the car while it warmed up.

akt2 1 year, 4 months ago

They were clocking winds in Lawrence at 50 and 53 mph at 6 this morning with visibility less than 1/4 mile and a wind chill of 11. Mechanical failures and slide offs are possible. Some kids still have to walk even if it's just a block or two. If they could make it without frostbite, sidewalks and parking lots weren't safe. Falls cause fractures. Near blizzard conditions would warrant cancelling classes. It was treacherous early on and it caught everyone off guard. Tomorrow is the first day of winter. This was a nice little practice run.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

no comments from DIST for a while ...

he must be in 'time out' after having been such a very bad boy!

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

buffalo63 2 hours, 9 minutes ago

Police car just slid around the corner. Didn't hit the curb like several other cars did this morning. None were going very fast either!

---what? that was a special maneuver he trained in at the academy Buffalo, you just didn't see it on CHIPS.

Scut Farkus 1 year, 4 months ago

Coming from Northern Minnesota, I find this all rather amusing. That said, be careful, drive slow and watch out for the other guy.

Michael Rowland 1 year, 4 months ago

Just to clarify one thing a lot of people have been saying about KU: yes, this is winter break. The undergrads are gone. But breaks don't count for faculty nor grad students. Faculty won't leave until the actual holidays. There is research to be done, grants to be obtained, papers to write, etc. Many grad students won't leave because their advisors won't let them. Breaks are great for research because there aren't any undergrads around. There are also postdocs who will still be going in. Break never means that KU will be empty of professors and students. Just means everyone who does research can focus on research!

adagio 1 year, 4 months ago

The issue isn't the amount of snow, or lack there of, it is that people do not know how to drive in it.

Christine Pennewell Davis 1 year, 4 months ago

Well the visibility was very bad when I was looking out my warm cozy house and you cannot really treat roads when the dang snow will not stay down and be good, plus wind was just terrible why it has to want to play in the storm no clue. I am glad they cancelled school though I know alot of kiddos around my area walk and it was is cold and the windchill is not helping.

buffalo63 1 year, 4 months ago

JackMcKee 1 year, 4 months ago

That's funny considering Lloyd is the one panicking over a little snow.

Christine Pennewell Davis 1 year, 4 months ago

I want the sun to come out so I can stay lazy and not clean the sidewalk and car hee hee .

kernal 1 year, 4 months ago

"I swear that LJWorld commenters seem to be the most high strung people that overreact to everything.

You must not read comments anywhere else. ;>D

JackMcKee 1 year, 4 months ago

Just had a meeting cancelled because the person can't leave her children at home. Good lord, way to muck up everyone's business school district.

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

Snow makes people grumpy. I think everyone needs a doughnut. And cocoa. Maybe spiked. And a grinchfromass removal surgery.

jellybeanies 1 year, 4 months ago

I swear that LJWorld commenters seem to be the most high strung people that overreact to everything. There is always some major complaint about minor issues. Stop stressing people. There are way worse things in the world that can affect your life than having to wait until 6am to find out a school closing. (This has been USD 497's practice for years now, by the way) You are taking years off of your life getting worked up over something so insignificant.

JackMcKee 1 year, 4 months ago

Lol @ people "splattered all over the place" because of a little snow. You must be a real blast at parties.

alor 1 year, 4 months ago

I drove to work at KU a half hour ago in a mini van from outside of town and experienced no problems on the roads. I am prepared for bad weather, as we all should be living in Kansas, and know how to drive in less than ideal conditions. I'm glad to see the snow, and my son is making some extra money getting rid of it. And I get to have lunch with my daughter and grandkids who are home from school today. It's a good day.

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

I bet the Chancellor's chauffeur has 4-wheel drive.

JackMcKee 1 year, 4 months ago

2" of snow and a little wind. Oh the humanity! LOL. Close EVERYTHING!!!!!

1julie1 1 year, 4 months ago

All the streets in Lawrence are a mess. Do not drive if you do not have to. I just took Clinton Parkway and there was no evidence it had been plowed. Nothing but a lot of snow and vehicles sliding and unable to stop. I saw a van slide through Clinton Parkway and Kasold and another mini-van unable to stop for a turn at Iowa and Clinton Parkway.

If you don't have to drive, don't. I don't know what is being plowed and being made safe for driving, but it sure isn't any of those main streets.

jhawk1998 1 year, 4 months ago

I love a snow day! Makes me feel like a kid again. Everything slows down.

Ralph Gage 1 year, 4 months ago

Red Dog's Dog Days went on schedule at 6 a.m. LOL!

Christine Pennewell Davis 1 year, 4 months ago

Katara they just started that this year no clue why guess they thought winter storms were offended or something:) And they cancelled schools because of the conditions because of visibility not the amount of snow on the ground, if you can not see on snow packed roads how can you drive on them? I for one am happy because I did not need to get up clean the car shovel the drive and then drive but dang it they woke me up to tell me to sleep longer:)

LloydDobbler 1 year, 4 months ago

Dear Provost Vitter:

Since your precious faculty and students are all done, you don't have to make any tough calls about the weather today. Nevermind that staff members, most of whom live outside of Lawrence because you don't pay them enough to live in Lawrence, have to drive longer distances and you don't even get an hour grace period.

It is incumbent upon leadership to understand when people need extra time or resources to do their jobs safely. It is also incumbent upon leadership to treat everyone fairly. But in the world of KU's ivory towers, fairness doesn't matter. I guess it's pretty easy to suffer from compassion fatique when you are pulling down $300K+ and live on or close to campus.

If this is the kind of leadership and compassion you have for your staff members, perhaps it's time for both you and Dr. Gray-Little to move on. KU and Kansas can do better.

g_rock 1 year, 4 months ago

Just heard 6th street is kind of a mess with a wreck or something...

Bridge 1 year, 4 months ago

Baldwin is closed. Kansas city has it on the web why can LJW. not list it.

autie 1 year, 4 months ago

We have cultivated a generation of sissies. A few inches of snow and a bit of wind? Really? Next thing you know you'll want to close for threat of snow, just in case.

elliottaw 1 year, 4 months ago

This is embarrassing that school is canceled, it is like this has never happened here before, it is 2 inches of snow people, throw down some salt/cinders and you will be ok.

friendlyjhawk 1 year, 4 months ago

Did none of you parents have a plan in mind before today about what should be done in inclement weather conditions? Did you not know you live in KS? Did you not get advance warning all week about what was probably going to happen today? Or is it always about how tough YOU have it as a parent because YOU have to be responsible for your children 24/7? Put your big girl and boy panties on and get on with what you need to do.

akt2 1 year, 4 months ago

Eudora message was that further information will be posted on their website today regarding finals. They too had finals today and were to be dismissed for winter break at 2p. They don't start back until Jan 7th, so I'm sure they can figure something out that makes more sense than sending them to school today.

windjammer 1 year, 4 months ago

Has anyone started to worry about mommydc haven't heard from her for several minutes.

Gandalf 1 year, 4 months ago

Why back in my day we had to walk 5 miles thru a foot of snow, uphill both ways, Damn dinosaurs wouldn't budge!

PS mommie, get a sense of humor!

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

Meanwhile KU can't give their employees an extra hour to make it to work safely.

KUBLOWSALOT

Good thing the Chancellor has her free house on campus with her free cars and free chauffeur today.

mommydaycare 1 year, 4 months ago

@Richards...ironically">p>@Richards...ironically no I work outside the home so please mind your buisness before you assume something!!!

mommydaycare 1 year, 4 months ago

@did i say that...grow up this is about the safety of our children, not what my screen name is!!!! Get a life!!!!

paul85 1 year, 4 months ago

So, does anyone know if Lawrence public schools are closed?

/sarcasm

Merry Christmas!

Bobbi Reid 1 year, 4 months ago

Just got the call that Lawrence is closed. My 8th grader wasn't going anyways because of the short day, but my 2nd was..she's gonna be disappointed but I would rather them be safe.

Ken Lassman 1 year, 4 months ago

They just added Lawrence schools--no school

kdminden 1 year, 4 months ago

They just called. Lawrence is closed until January.

SpiritTat 1 year, 4 months ago

Thank you ~ easier to just get myself to work and all than juggle that mess to school .. then back to school to pick kiddo back up just a few hours later

peace n happy solstice n holidays and snow day ~

kufan8808 1 year, 4 months ago

High School kids have finals, but they really should cancel. I don't want my daughter driving to school... which is why I'm up. Also our power is cutting in out and out. I just talked to my parents in old west lawrence whos power has been out. Definately no coditions to be outside in!

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

Pretty much all of KC is closed.

Irenaku 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, if my kid does have school today, he won't be driving his car, as he has never driven in blizzard conditions. It'll be the bus...

mommydaycare 1 year, 4 months ago

@fithhawk.. No need to calm down....not all parents stay home and we need to make arrangements for the kids!!

LadyJ 1 year, 4 months ago

Thought about going out to get the paper and opened the door. Nope, if it's even out there, it can stay.

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe this bodes well for Lawrence. From USD497.org

Internal Server Error

• Internal Server Error

Folder template for specified resource / could not be sent. (reason: 7103)

mommydaycare 1 year, 4 months ago

Exactly...just ridiculous....save everyone a headache today and cancel school......so typical of Lawrence,!!!!

SpiritTat 1 year, 4 months ago

@mommydaycare, I was thinking the same thing ~ and I know I can always choose otherwise (for subsequent posters who'll feel the need to restate the obvious) -- middle schoolers have all of just under a 3 1/2 hour school day today -- its all activities - it will be more of hassle to get everyone there safely for the few hours of non-instructional time they'll be receiving anyway!

mommydaycare 1 year, 4 months ago

Really USD 497..is it that serious that you will continue with school today? School parties and activities.....let's remember the safety of children and faculty!!

Keith Richards 1 year, 4 months ago

45-50mph wind gusts are creating really dangerous walking conditions out there. Haven't driven yet, but the side roads don't look great.