From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 16, 1987:
A fire had swept through a northwest Lawrence home today, causing an estimated $15,000 in fire and smoke damage. Lawrence firefighters reported that a paper bag in the garage, containing fireplace ashes, had ignited at the home of Douglas and Barbara Degn, 301 Stockade. The couple and their two dogs had been away from home at the time of the fire. Three engines and 18 firefighters had responded to the alarm, which had been extinguished in a little over an hour in spite of cold and snowy conditions. The Degns had been taken in by their neighbors John and Pam Humphrey.