Archive for Saturday, December 15, 2012

Rottweiler attack leaves Lecompton Chihuahua with life-threatening injuries

December 15, 2012

A vicious dog attack left a Lecompton resident’s pet Chihuahua with life-threatening wounds Saturday afternoon. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office responded to an incident about 2 p.m. in the 600 block of Whitfield Street in Lecompton after a loose Rottweiler wandered onto the property and attacked the Chihuahua, leaving it with serious injuries and puncture wounds.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a sheriff’s office spokesman, said the Rottweiler was taken into custody and transported to the Lawrence Humane Society. The former rescue dog had a history of abuse by a previous owner, Lewis said, and a record at the Humane Society as a prior offender. The Chihuahua was transported to Bradley Animal Hospital in Lawrence.

“He’s got about a 50-50 chance of making it through,” Lewis said.

Douglas County does not require dogs to be kept on a leash at all times in public, unless they have been established as dangerous.

Comments

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

The last two rottweilers I saw that came and killed my cat and attacked my lab in her kennel in the same afternoon. They both got tipped over at ~220 yards with a Remington .280. The turkey vultures cleaned them up in 2 days. I left the collars in the neighbor's mailbox with a note: "We may have to to be neighbors but we do not have to be neighborly." These people had been warned previously.

riverdrifter 2 years, 5 months ago

You should have known those 'neighbors' ... They thought it was cool that their dogs ruled the 'hood.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

Idiots like that shouldn't own dogs. I had neighbors who had two Pitties, absolutely unsocialized, outdoors in their run 24/7, no exceptions. The owner claimed they were "guard dogs", though what he thought they needed to protect is beyond my comprehension. Why is it a "status symbol" to have a viscous animal? I just don't get it. Inevitably, the animal is going to end up euthanized.

Bob Forer 2 years, 5 months ago

Sounds like your neighbors' dogs were functionally "watch dogs" as opposed to "guard dogs." Both bark loudly to alert their owners of an intruder's presence and scare away the intruder. The watch dog's function ends here; A guard dog is capable of attacking or restraining the intruder. A dog confined 24/7 in a run is incapable of serving as a "guard dog."

A dog doesn't need to be large to function as a "watch dog." In fact, several of the smaller breeds make great watch dogs--Miniature Schnauzer, Cairn Terrier, Cairn Terrier, and West Highland White Terrier.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to confine a large dog in a run when a smaller dog will serve the same purpose, and pose a smaller risk if it accidentally is let loose to roam the neighborhood.

The neighbors you describe sound like complete jackasses.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

Ohhh, that's the "nice" word for what I observed over there... SMDH

Bob Forer 2 years, 5 months ago

Very hardcore, but very appropriate under the circumstances described

Ron Holzwarth 2 years, 5 months ago

My brother, who lived out in the country at the time, had a problem with his livestock being chased by the neighbor's dog. Cattle lose weight when they're running, and he was pretty ticked off.

I think he told me he got the dog with one shot, and then he left the carcass where it lay. It was perfectly visible from his home, but there was a hill between it and the neighbors, so they couldn't see it. So, it was there for quite a while. Finally he went out with a spade and buried it.

Never did say a word to the neighbors, but they probably had an idea what happened to their dog because he had mentioned the problem to them in the past. My brother wasn't the kind of man that would dwell on a subject, he was more of a solutions man.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 5 months ago

Do we know that this dog came from the animal shelter?

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 5 months ago

we have 2 small Chihuahua dogs and if ANYONE'S dog comes on my property and attacks my dogs i will shoot them without blinking an eye. i am a true animal lover and my 2 dogs are like 2 of our kids. good job Riverdrifter.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

My wife was walking our little herding dogs and I was 10 feet behind with the Akita. A neighbor thoughtlessly let his two adolescent Rotts out to hop in the car not expecting other dogs to be outside his house, and the Rotts made a be-line for our herders. The Rotts were running down the driveway between the cars and when they came out face to face with the Akita, they stopped in their tracks and reconsidered their actions. By then their owners were there apologizing and clipping on the leashes. They love their dogs and just suffered a lapse in judgement letting them out without a leash. Thanks to our big guy, no harm was done.

I have a rural friend that had a small dog killed by coyotes. I don't know how he kept from doing it, but if that had been me I would have gone on a month-long rampage killing every coyote that set foot on the section (or whatever it is). 100/1 would be fair.

He's a better man than I am and waited a few months then adopted a replacement puppy instead of pointlessly wasting more life.

In this case, the Rott should be sent to a rescue organization and the owners should be liable for all expenses.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

Can't blame coyotes for doing what coyotes do.

jhawkinsf 2 years, 5 months ago

Kill all the coyotes and you'll be up to your arse in vermin.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

I don't know ANYBODY who wouldn't "reconsider" when coming nose-to-nose with an Akita! Thank goodness your neighbors realized their mistake.
I completely agree that the Rott owners should be liable for expenses in this case.

rlmtyco 2 years, 5 months ago

Is there anything the public can do donation wise to help this family with the medical bills? I know that animal hospital isnt the cheapest one by any means. Dont want them to get lack of service for their chihuahua due to lack of funds, would be happy to donate some money toward the cause.

Bunny_Hotcakes 2 years, 5 months ago

I was just going to ask the same thing. If enough people chipped in even $1, $5, $10, it would make a huge dent in this poor pup's bills. To say nothing of its people's faith in humanity.

rlmtyco 2 years, 5 months ago

I think I will stop in their hospital tomorrow and make a donation regardless if they need it or not.

ResQd 2 years, 5 months ago

I've used Dr. Lewis at Bradley for many many years. The little guy couldn't be in better hands.

DKCW 2 years, 5 months ago

It it great to hear that there are still amazing people in this world. I am the owner of the chihuahua and this is a very hard time for us. I am a single mom and my kids are devastated right now. We have visited him everyday and he gets a little better each day. I know this is a hard time of year for everybody, and to know people are willing to help is amazing. We are all very grateful in our time of need. Thank you all very much!!

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

"Inbox" me. I am going to contact the rescue organizations I work with and see if anyone else can donate something. Maybe your little guy can be home by Christmas! :-)

goeperit 2 years, 5 months ago

There is a woman in my neighborhood that is constantly searching the area for her two small dogs that she lets outside to run loose for hours. Although, they are small they are still very mean little dogs. They will run toward, bark and nip at anyone they see while running loose.

Hhhmmm, perhaps that Rottweiler can be rented from the Humane Society for a couple of days.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

"very mean little dogs"

In my decadent youth I'd feed rats to my monitors and snakes. I've been bitten by a few rats, so I know what you mean by "very mean little dog".

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

Had someone remove my "very mean little dog" from my yard last July. Pretty sure they thought they were going to "breed" her, as she is a full-blooded, popular breed. Pretty glad, at that point, that she was "very mean". She showed up on the doorstep about an hour later. Did I "let" her run loose? Nope. Am I glad that she doesn't trust strangers, and becomes "very mean" when threatened? You bet.

rlmtyco 2 years, 5 months ago

have issue with the owner being irresponsible, not with the dogs, call animal control, dont try to cause harm to the little dogs, its not their fault they owner has neglicted to use common sense when it comes to owning dogs. Maybe by having animal control picking them up once a week and her having to pay fines will fix that problem.

Kathy Getto 2 years, 5 months ago

...and in Topeka news...... A two tear old was mauled to death by a pit. So sad.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

That pit bull was also a rescue dog and not on the loose as this rottweiler was.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

To a dog, a "small child" not of "their pack" can represent a threat. Loud screeching, waving arms, quick, uncontrolled movements, or having their snouts or ears grabbed at is pretty scary to a dog. Ultimately, the dog pays the price with its life, and further stigmatization of breed. So sad. :-(

marcirae18 2 years, 5 months ago

I guess I'm the only one that noticed that there is not a street in the town of Lecompton called Whitmore! Either it was Whitfield or Elmore! Just thought I would put it out there!

Ian_Cummings 2 years, 5 months ago

You're right — it was Whitfield Street. Thanks!

bearded_gnome 2 years, 5 months ago

listen people: if you love your dog, you just do not let him or her out off leash, even for a minute in an unfenced area!!!

it is far too dangerous for that dog first. it is too dangerous for the neighborhood.

stop it. you are absolutely not caring for your dog if you get home and just "let him out for a while." your dog can get into poisons, get hurt, get lost, get hit by a car, get trapped, etc.!

so much harm to dogs is simply preventable and they ae a special gift to us. dogs deserve our consideration.

LawrenceTownie 2 years, 5 months ago

Rotwillers are not the only dogs that can be visicous. In my opinion, any dog can be aroused to do harm, depending on the situation. In the terrible case of the Topeka child, perhaps the child got too close to a food bowl. Even a doscile animal can be "turned on" to bad behavior when their food source is compromised. I gave my son-in-law a blue healer pup in 1999, a sweet puppy, very loving, fun dog who loved to play frisby and play in kiddie pools of water. Always kept in a fenced back yard or in the home in Cincinnati. When their first child came along five years later, and tried crawling, he ended up close to the food bowl. And my daughter and son-in-law were smart enough to see the possibilies of what might be possible from the dog. She nipped at the child and so they first decided to not bring the dog inside. But after awhile, she ended up on grandma and grandpa's farm, since she loved my husband so much and attached herself to him. And when the kids come to visit, if the dog is not in a pen, the food bowl is always picked up, and the kids are supervised. The dog is now moving slow, still tries to play ball with a tennis ball, no more pools or water, and eats as much as she wants. Farm life has been good for her and the two of us. But everytime I hear about a dog attack on a child, I take pause on what might have been for our family if my daugher and husband had kept her in their home. We are reminded of the possibilies, some not good.

RoeDapple 2 years, 5 months ago

Rots and Pits make up 7% of total dog population but are involved with 60% of fatal pet attacks on humans.

Dale Stringer 2 years, 5 months ago

And what percentage of total attacks? I'll agree that they are more dangerous when they attack, but only because they are not as easy to punt as a chihuahua.

Lisa Medsker 2 years, 5 months ago

Exactly! Also, their owners are more likely to socialize them (Or "unsocialize" them, as it were...) to be mean. It's part of that "thug" image. Who ever heard of a drug dealer who had a killer Rat Terrier to guard their stash, or a dogfighter who tied their Dachshund up to a logging chain?

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Do you all realize that you are sounding like someone who would go into a school and massacre children? Sorry that you lost your pets, some weight off your cattle but extolling the virtues of killing is wrong. Plus, LJW was stupid to run a story like this especially now.

MarcoPogo 2 years, 5 months ago

"LJW was stupid to run a story like this especially now."

Huh? Is the LJW only supposed to run one type of story after certain news events? If you want a compilation of messages with similar angles, go pick up a copy of the Thrifty Nickel.

friendlyjhawk 2 years, 5 months ago

The news media stirs these knee jerk reactions by publishing every sensation suppositiion, emotion remark made by anyone. The news media wants to arouse the public and make sure they keep coming back for more sensational stories. LJW is just a third class paper trying to keep their readers. This story has no real value to any community.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

No, he does not sound like someone who would go into a school and massacre children. Life on a ranch, or a farm, is not like living in town. The two actions are not alike. Maybe you need to take a break from the Newton nightmare for the rest of the day. You won't be disrepecting them by doing that.

Rick Aldrich 2 years, 5 months ago

It's a reality story of something happening in our little piece of the the world. it's a free country as well so we can post about our beloved pets as pleased. also it's nowhere compared to the horrible traumatic loss of innocent lives in all these shootings. sorry you see the worse in us local people.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 5 months ago

832-7509 number to dial for reporting dog at large, call it.

bearded_gnome 2 years, 5 months ago

832-7509 number to dial for reporting dog at large, call in when you have a loose dog happening.

you ever heard what it sounds like when a car hits a dog? I have. fortunately it wasn't a dog of mine, but the sound I will never forget.

obamasocks 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey ljworld, I just heard from my neighbor that a black alley cat just killed their canary. Let me know if you want their contact info so you can run a story on it.

rlmtyco 2 years, 5 months ago

The dog is still hanging in there, it is still being treated at Bradley Animal Hospital, I just called up there to find out. After lunch I am going to drop a donation off. Cant afford all that much but want to be able to help out some.