Archive for Saturday, December 15, 2012

100 years ago: Mayor bars underage patrons from pool halls

December 15, 2012

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 15, 1912:

• "Owing to the large number of young boys going to the different pool halls and of the many complaints made by people of the town, Marshal Myers has decreed that all persons under the age of 18 shall be excluded from these places. So last night everyone that went into the pool halls was accosted by the proprietor and asked to give his age. Although this is an old ordinance it is one that has been frequently evaded as the owners have nothing to go by except the word of the boys."
  • "Spraying an apple orchard west of Lawrence this summer and work along scientific lines increased the product of the orchard in sound apples seven times. This conclusion was reached after a summer of hard and careful work by Adolph Spangler and H. B. Hungerford, two Kansas University men in the department of Entomology. These two men working under Prof. S. J. Hunter of the University and State Entomologist, leased an old apple orchard a few miles west of Lawrence and proceeded to put into operation in the practical world the theories that have been taught them in the class room, and their results demonstrated beyond a doubt the value of science in apple culture. At the close of the season the apple growers found that they had harvested a total of 81,457 apples from their scientific orchard."
  • "It is quite probable that Lawrence will have a 'Jay Driving' ordinance in the near future. Several of the city fathers are considering the advisability of such legislation and an ordinance is expected to be forthcoming very soon. There have been several accidents recently due to jay driving and other carelessness on the streets and the city councilmen hope to see this eliminated with a jay driving ordinance in force. Last night several members of the council indulged in an informal discussion of the matter and concluded that they should take some action in the near future."

Comments

David Holroyd 2 years ago

What is a poll hall! JW needs proofreaders.

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

Not that it bothers me, but what is the meaning of posting this picture on every thread?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Under-age Kansas boys in Poll Halls!

Where they learned to vote early! And often!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

I wanna know what the heck is "jay driving?!?"

deec 2 years ago

"Did you know the term "jaywalking" came from the term "jay driving," which used to mean driving with no regard for the rules, on the wrong side of the road or through a stop sign? It came from back when driving rules were a lot looser, because there weren't so many drivers, so your Model T could rattle along wherever it wanted. "

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

looks like: we got trouble ... right here in river city and that starts with t ... and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL!

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

"Ya Got Trouble", from 'The Music Man' (1962)

And, IMDb never did add my noting a major goof - a salesman reading a 1909 newspaper in a movie that was supposed to be set in 1911!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

spraing pesticides [gasp] on apples in a field west of the future hippie mecca? say it isn't so Sarah!

Sarah St. John 2 years ago

It was..... SCIENTIFIC apple-growing.

beatrice 2 years ago

Poll Halls -- isn't that where Anna works?

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Jay driving? Gotta get that bird out from behind the wheel . . .

Sarah St. John 2 years ago

My philosophy is, if you're going to embarrass yourself, do it in a really big font!

My apologies. I'm my own proofreader, but sumtimez eeven I mess upp.

-- Sarah St. John (p.s. I had never heard of "jay driving" before, either! But there it was in black and white.)

jhawkinsf 2 years ago

I like a person that can laugh at themselves. A big thummms up.

RoeDapple 2 years ago

Ima thinkin Sarah might fit in wit da cuzins . . .

Sarah St. John 2 years ago

In my misspent youth, I ate hotdogs with ketchup (or "catsup" for purists), mustard, and relish. But my tastes changed drastically and I have long since jettisoned the tomatoy stuff and the relish. Lots of yellow mustard and lots of chopped onions -- that's what I want.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

thanks Deec for the ref. I guess Jay Driving means random driving.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

wow Ron, that's quite a goof indeed. I love IMDB and I'm disappointed they didn't credit your eagle eye..

Ron Holzwarth 2 years ago

Whoops! The movie was set in 1912. From the opening scene and song, 'Rock Island', the first musical number from: 'The Music Man', a salesman is clearly seen reading a copy of 'The Kansas City Gazette' a few times.

My comment, from 1 year, 2 months ago: "Anachronism! The 1962 film is set in July 1912, but 'The Kansas City Gazette', Kansas City, KS, was only published from 1888-1909!"

Verification of 'The Kansas City Gazette' publication dates, from the Library of Congress: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85032360/

'The Kansas City Gazette' is clearly visible at 1:10, 1:40, and 2:25.

They apparently never did review it, because it has never appeared in their list of goofs for the film.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

yeah Sarah, "scientific" "spraying"

imagine the apple scare today!

bearded_gnome 2 years ago

Sarah, at archive.org I found a neat discussion of apple spraying in IL in 1912 when I just googled " apple spraying 1912" (quotes not in search, just for display here.

also at a kslib.org site I found transcribed "a cyclopedia of kansas" you've probably seen this, it included reference to the founding of the entomological commission of kansas, a bill signed in 1907, going into effect 1908.
includes specific reference to protecting orchards. a bit of google shows looking at the time they're talking indeed about pesticides and fungicides.

bearded_gnome 2 years ago