Archive for Tuesday, December 11, 2012

City Commission applies for grant to improve Santa Fe Depot

December 11, 2012

Lawrence city commissioners Tuesday evening agreed to make another effort to win grant funding to restore the Santa Fe Depot in East Lawrence.

Commissioners agreed to submit an application to the Kansas Department of Transportation to fund $1.5 million worth of improvements to the 1950s-era building at Seventh and New Jersey streets.

The city would need to provide about $300,000 in local funds to match the state’s grant, if the project is selected.

The city also submitted applications for about $60,000 worth of work to restore the monument signs leading to the Breezedale neighborhood at 23rd and Massachusetts streets, and for $170,000 to build a concrete hike and bike patch from 23rd Street to 29th Street. Currently the path is an ag lime, gravel path.

Comments

riverdrifter 1 year, 4 months ago

I hope they don't repair the bullet holes on the large photo montage on the lobby west wall by the windows on the street side. My old friend John King, a Santa Fe operator, RIP, was sitting there one night in the '60s and somebody drove by and took potshots at him. They missed high. John said they parted his hair, though!

cowboy 1 year, 4 months ago

For 1.5 million I'll build you a kick ass modern depot . ridiculous with a capital R

oletimer 1 year, 4 months ago

the depot lovers better get busy getting the rest of the cash. the city better not pay a penny towards this losing proposition.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

shame on you Mac.
you will have to go to the reeducation camp.
spending money like this is supposed to be gooooood, remember that. just remember that! or else ...

yes, I prefer walking on lime instead of concrete.
I suppose the argument is that lime is not so wheelchair accessible. but in trying to make ourselves all accessible, we make things worse for others.

Mac, you're right, there are much better ways to use all that money. in fact, the 1.5 mill too. but hey, it's all funny money, riiight?

MacHeath 1 year, 4 months ago

170 large so joggers won't get their feet wet...

Ok, ill take my pill now.

MacHeath 1 year, 4 months ago

Buy me a Ferrari instead, and you would have one happy person. Buy me a handicapped conversion van, and vans for a couple others, and you would have three happy people! Actually, you could buy six conversion vans, brand new for 200 large! Six people, plus family and friends, and you could have as many as 100 happy people!...maybe more!

MacHeath 1 year, 4 months ago

I can't believe it would cost 60 grand to restore the monument signs. Crying out loud! You could build them from scratch for less then that!

I can't believe anyone would spend 170 grand for to make that path concrete. Anyone out there believe it would be prudent to spend that for a path? Why??

right smart amount of money!

consumer1 1 year, 4 months ago

The path as it is, is much healthier on your body, If you walk or run than concrete.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

... "and for $170,000 to build a concrete hike and bike patch... "

seriously, I think for walking lime is nicer, cooler in summer heat than concrete.