Advertisement

Archive for Monday, December 10, 2012

More than 30 at hotel treated at hospital following carbon monoxide exposure

December 10, 2012

Advertisement

— A south-central Kansas hotel has reopened after carbon monoxide exposure sent more than 30 people to a hospital where they were treated and released.

Sunday’s incident caused a brief evacuation of the Best Western Inn & Suites in Greensburg.

Kiowa County Sheriff Kendal Lothman said Monday that several children had got out of the hotel swimming pool with dilated eyes and difficulty breathing.

Lothman says the children had been exposed to high levels of carbon monoxide believed to result from a water heater failing to vent properly. Guests were allowed back in their rooms later Sunday, but the pool area remains closed until the problem is fixed.

Hotel manager Ron Wright said Monday he was thankful nobody was seriously hurt.

Comments

tomatogrower 1 year, 7 months ago

Wow, that's scary. We have a detector at home, but you never think about it when you travel.

0

Hooligan_016 1 year, 7 months ago

CSB: I was at a motel in Colorado where somehow a guest punctured a can of mace and it contaminated the entire building. Even after airing out the rooms for several hours, I still remember going to sleep and feeling a bit of tingle in my eyes/throat.

0

EJ Mulligan 1 year, 7 months ago

"...several children had got out of the hotel swimming pool..."

Really? That is terrible grammar, even for the AP.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.