Archive for Monday, December 10, 2012

Lawrence man charged with assault for Saturday incident involving a knife

December 10, 2012

A 32-year-old Lawrence man was charged Monday with aggravated assault and theft stemming from a Saturday afternoon incident.

According to police, Jacob P. Paine allegedly threatened another man with a knife around 2 p.m. in the 700 block of Locust. The alleged incident revolved around an argument about a pair of headphones.

No injuries were reported.

Paine is being held in the Douglas County Jail on a $7,500 bond. The assault charge is a level-7 felony, punishable by up to 34 months in prison.

Comments

cheeseburger 1 year, 7 months ago

'The assault charge is a level-7 felony, punishable by up to 34 months in prison.'

Or probation.

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 7 months ago

The vast majority of people convicted of a severity level 7 felony would be presumptive probation. Only people with at least 2 prior person felonies are expected to be sentenced to prison for a level 7.

Wesley Willis 1 year, 7 months ago

"The alleged incident revolved around an argument about a pair of headphones."

I'ma bettin they was Beats by Dre - junky overpriced hearing killers

beatrice 1 year, 7 months ago

Maybe he was just trying to dislodge a BB.

shaunepec 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm sure you're familiar with the grid, but for those who aren't, here's a link to it: http://bit.ly/S4mdw1

Shaun LJW

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 7 months ago

The range is solely related to the defendant's criminal history. The defendant fits into a particular box based on the crime severity level and the criminal history score. The court doesn't have (much) discretion to go outside that box.

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 7 months ago

As in we both have accurate understandings of how the Kansas statutes define crimes, how severity levels work, and what sentencing options are available?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

Cheeseburger expounded: Thanks for the grid, Shaun. As long as this DA and the liberal judiciary continue to sentence on the low end of the grid, perhaps the minimum sentences could be mentioned, as the maximums are rarely, if ever, in play.

---truer words were never spoken!

weak DA. poor judges. put us all at risk. who's really served by this?

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

so in other states, instead of charging this dude with assault, he could have been charged with Menacing, or Brandishing.

I wonder if the argument was really about headphones.

time2kill 1 year, 7 months ago

Littering AND... Littering AND...

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

cheeseburger 35 minutes ago

'No one is served by this DA'

I respectfully disagree. People who can't obey the law, and career criminals are well-served by this DA, as there is seldom if ever tangible ramifications or consequences of unlawful behavior handed down.

---you're right, I should have written: no one respectable is served ...

oldbaldguy 1 year, 7 months ago

The court is limited by sentencing guidelines and state statutes for sentencing. Talk to your state representative if you want changes to sentencing guidlines. Be careful what you ask for.

shaunepec 1 year, 7 months ago

For those of you interested in us listing the max and min. sentences, I think that's a good idea we can consider.

Part of the problem is that it's difficult to know what someones criminal history is at these first appearances.

Shaun Ljw

ebyrdstarr 1 year, 7 months ago

The DA and Judges don't have a choice about where on the min-max spectrum a defendant falls. That is totally and completely a function of the defendant's criminal history. There is a tiny bit of wiggle room within each box but that is a matter of months, like 2-6.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

Harmon: Thanks for taking credit for my comment! Do I get any kind of payment for this blatent theft of my comment or maybe you can just claim everyone's comments as yours and correct them to fit what you are trying to say:(

---my humble apology, realized too late what I'd written. "who's" is in my post and no one is in yours.
in my mind "who's" was a rhetorical question to say "who in the world ..." etc.
sorry about that.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

Cheeseburger: And as long as the lax DA dismisses most of the charges, the POS will never have much of a criminal history!

---plus this DA has such a bent toward plea bargains in some amazing cases, also seems to dial down offenders' records.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 7 months ago

yes Smitty, and the judges keep on being voted back in.

Termcd4 1 year, 7 months ago

Every case is different. I can say this ....I was beaten severely by my then boyfriend. Regardless of his criminal history, which is long, he was only given 11 months.