Archive for Monday, December 10, 2012

Lawrence man charged with assault for Saturday incident involving a knife

December 10, 2012

A 32-year-old Lawrence man was charged Monday with aggravated assault and theft stemming from a Saturday afternoon incident.

According to police, Jacob P. Paine allegedly threatened another man with a knife around 2 p.m. in the 700 block of Locust. The alleged incident revolved around an argument about a pair of headphones.

No injuries were reported.

Paine is being held in the Douglas County Jail on a $7,500 bond. The assault charge is a level-7 felony, punishable by up to 34 months in prison.

Comments

HarmonKillabrew 1 year, 4 months ago

sorry for your suffering we need to get together and vote in a DA who will stand up for the people who elected him, law abiding citizens!

Termcd4 1 year, 4 months ago

Every case is different. I can say this ....I was beaten severely by my then boyfriend. Regardless of his criminal history, which is long, he was only given 11 months.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

yes Smitty, and the judges keep on being voted back in.

smitty 1 year, 4 months ago

Interesting that Branson ran unopposed for DA.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

Cheeseburger: And as long as the lax DA dismisses most of the charges, the POS will never have much of a criminal history!

---plus this DA has such a bent toward plea bargains in some amazing cases, also seems to dial down offenders' records.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

Harmon: Thanks for taking credit for my comment! Do I get any kind of payment for this blatent theft of my comment or maybe you can just claim everyone's comments as yours and correct them to fit what you are trying to say:(

---my humble apology, realized too late what I'd written. "who's" is in my post and no one is in yours.
in my mind "who's" was a rhetorical question to say "who in the world ..." etc.
sorry about that.

cheeseburger 1 year, 4 months ago

shaunepec 1 year, 4 months ago

For those of you interested in us listing the max and min. sentences, I think that's a good idea we can consider.

Part of the problem is that it's difficult to know what someones criminal history is at these first appearances.

Shaun Ljw

oldbaldguy 1 year, 4 months ago

The court is limited by sentencing guidelines and state statutes for sentencing. Talk to your state representative if you want changes to sentencing guidlines. Be careful what you ask for.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

cheeseburger 35 minutes ago

'No one is served by this DA'

I respectfully disagree. People who can't obey the law, and career criminals are well-served by this DA, as there is seldom if ever tangible ramifications or consequences of unlawful behavior handed down.

---you're right, I should have written: no one respectable is served ...

HarmonKillabrew 1 year, 4 months ago

I just find it completely wrong that Deckert and Hernandez both killed people while driving and they got 6.5 months in jail total. Translation, pull a knife 34 months, kill someone while driving intoxicated you could get 6 months in jail, what a slap in the face to the families of the people killed. We need a stronger DA who can argue cases well enough to punish people appropriately for breaking the law.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

so in other states, instead of charging this dude with assault, he could have been charged with Menacing, or Brandishing.

I wonder if the argument was really about headphones.

bearded_gnome 1 year, 4 months ago

Cheeseburger expounded: Thanks for the grid, Shaun. As long as this DA and the liberal judiciary continue to sentence on the low end of the grid, perhaps the minimum sentences could be mentioned, as the maximums are rarely, if ever, in play.

---truer words were never spoken!

weak DA. poor judges. put us all at risk. who's really served by this?

HarmonKillabrew 1 year, 4 months ago

Shaun, Thanks for the info, but it does appear that these are more just loose guidelines, as the drunk driver who killed the biker last year isn't in jail for 34 months and he KILLED some innocent girl! Our DA is weak at best!

cheeseburger 1 year, 4 months ago

'The assault charge is a level-7 felony, punishable by up to 34 months in prison.'

Maybe the LJW could save column inches and quit reporting what the maximum sentence is, since that is usually irrelevant. List the minimum, b/c that is what will be handed down in this county by this worthless DA and the liberal judges.

beatrice 1 year, 4 months ago

Maybe he was just trying to dislodge a BB.

Wesley Willis 1 year, 4 months ago

"The alleged incident revolved around an argument about a pair of headphones."

I'ma bettin they was Beats by Dre - junky overpriced hearing killers