Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, December 9, 2012

25 years ago: K-10 traffic not just passing through, study says

December 9, 2012

Advertisement

From the Lawrence Daily Journal-World for Dec. 9, 1987:

  • A new study from the Kansas Department of Transportation revealed that about nine out of every 10 vehicles entering Lawrence on Kansas Highway 10 stopped in the city. The KDOT origin-destination study said that of the average 12,539 cars and trucks entering daily on K-10, 88.5 percent had destinations in Lawrence, with the remaining 11.5 percent passing through town.
  • Kansas University officials today announced that they were planning to add almost 40 feet to two of the four smokestacks at the KU power plant. The decision to add to the stacks was made after the Kansas Department of Health and Environment had told KU officials that the stacks were not in compliance with the latest state and federal emission guidelines for burning fuel oil. Lawrence residents living near the plant had complained earlier this year about bad odors and smoke clouds that resulted when the plant burned low-grade fuel oil.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.